Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
I don't know if you're in the wrong field. What field are you in? I made 5 grand so far this week.
He means everyone ELSE. Your income is 10 times the national median, and about 95% of us are in "the wrong field". Is there room in the right field for all of us? Where would all that money come from, if everyone was "in the right field"? That would mean you would have to pay about $500 in labor charges to have your new set of tires installed on your Range Rover, unless you've got the time and tools to do it yourself, because the worker there would need to make $5,000 a week changing tires.

If all you wanted to do was brag about how rich you are, I doubt if many people on this forum are overly impressed, and you might wish to explore other bragging opportunities.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-09-2010 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinking View Post
I wish I could have a lot of money. So I can buy a lot of things I like.
One way to acquire a lot of money is not to buy the things you like.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I think it might also be a matter of perception. Some of those high priced condos could be sellign at 1/2 or even less than they were 4 years ago. So someone might have a sweetheart lease or great purchase price due entirely to timing. And if you buy your motorcycles/jetskis/etc used there is more saving there. I found that I could travel more cheaply when I was younger because I had a lot fewer expectations/requirements and could bunk with a room full of guys or house full of couple without caring.

But there are many people still doing very well in this economy. I am in architecture & we are getting killed with the rest of the construction/real estate industries. But friends in finance, medical fields and programming are all doing great. And there salary goes a lot farther with so many others tanking.

And never underestimate the bank of mom and dad or savings power of having roomates.
Amen on the roomate comment. I had 3 roomates and no car in my early 20's when I was fresh out of college and engaged. I was making maybe 35k a year back then and managed to save 1000 a month...which got rid of student loans, paid for a big part of my wedding and a downpayment on my house.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:47 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbert_2001 View Post
I'll add one more: They're single.

Women are expensive. Kids are expensive.
I don't know about kids yet, but getting married and combining two incomes has done wonders for my own bank account. We don't live an extravagant lifestyle, but living on a single paycheck and saving a portion of the other for special occasions allows us to do things we couldn't afford when single.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,080 times
I am 30 years old and I have a lot of friends who live like this. They all make good livings making like 60-80 a year but most of them are in debt and living paycheck to paycheck and their credit is a mess. They like to have nice, shiny things but at the end of the day, it will all come back to bite them later in life.

Save your money, invest wisely, and stay out of debt and all of this will come to you in time.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
they are in debt. No doubt! NO savings, no retirement, live for today.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homiedontplaythat View Post
I am seeing ton of 30 year old men with boat loads of money to spend. 4/5 vacations a year, nice car, condos in high priced areas, TONS of "toys" (motorcycles, jet ski, snowboards)

HOW ARE THEY MAKING ALL THIS MONEY?
family support?
what jobs do they have?

Can someone explain to me how a 29 year old guy can spend like he makes $150k+ a year.

Am I in the wrong field?
How do you know they are not making $150K+ a year? I know 30 y.o.'s who make a $150K+ salary and are able to pay for these things without going into much debt (though I'm sure there are also a lot who are in debt). I don't find this that unusual in my metropolitan area.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 PM

143 posts, read 319,791 times
In Dallas,TX. They call them "30K Millionaires".

But some people just make good money.
Some know how to budget.

It's mainstream media telling us, we have to always have the newest cars, new phones, and to keep spending money like our federal government does, and any type of debt is good debt.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:17 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
Stock options? I had very impressive returns on the ESPP this year.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
Vulturing...
One can "toy up" fairly cheap these days. Repo's, auctions, craigslist, there's deals to be had on anything from boats to homes to cars from those hurting for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics