Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 PM

264 posts, read 494,096 times

Advertisements

This one looks good to me, whats yours?
Thanks

The Ultimate Depression Survival Guide: Protect Your Savings, Boost Your Income, and Grow Wealthy Even in the Worst of Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,739 times
I also like it.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:01 AM

106,917 posts, read 109,196,656 times
i started reading all these books back in 1987 after the stock market crash ... im still waiting for the predictions to come true.

i guess if you predict long enough eventually you may get it right.. even a broken clock is right 2x a day.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i started reading all these books back in 1987 after the stock market crash ... im still waiting for the predictions to come true.

i guess if you predict long enough eventually you may get it right.. even a broken clock is right 2x a day.

Whats your point

Old 06-25-2010, 04:27 AM

the point is these protect yourself from the up coming doom books have been around for decades.. alot are just chicken little... some are pretty good because at least they contain good advice for evey day investing...

but eventually one day they may all be right.... dosnt mean that how i would plan , waiting for the sky to fall..

Old 06-25-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the point is these protect yourself from the up coming doom books have been around for decades.. alot are just chicken little... some are pretty good because at least they contain good advice for evey day investing...

but eventually one day they may all be right.... dosnt mean that how i would plan , waiting for the sky to fall..

Whats your favorite one
Thanks

Old 06-25-2010, 05:20 AM

im a big fan of harry browne and all his books.....

Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,561,575 times
Maybe look at their application a bit broader?

I view this "Doomer" genre as discussions of Worst Case Scenarios.

A scenario does not mean or predict that something will or will not happen, and further -- does not cause it to happen.

Seat Belts do not predict nor cause a car crash,
Lifeboats and Flotation Vests do not predict nor cause a ship to sink,
Smoke and Fire Detectors and Sprinklers do not predict nor cause a building to burn.

But all of them came about as studies of the various Worst Case Scenario(s).

All of them make the Worst Case Scenario they are about -- survivable, or at least increase the likelihood of survival in a very hostile situation. Those are very good things if you find yourself in a Worse Case IRL (in real life).

If you are covered and prepared for a possible Worst Case Scenario, you are covered for that Worst Case -- a bit of a tautology, but very true.

But to declare that they are somehow True or False, is sort of goofy.

This happens on the other end of things, as well. Folks get carried away with the Best Case Scenarios. Look at some of the knuckleheads on here who claim how great the stock market is because they "drew a line" from 1987 (or some other major low point) to 2007/8 (a major peak) and declare it has went up some bizillion percent. That becomes the basis of their "Truth." Happened to a lot of folks with Real Estate, as well. Same moron mentality as the Full Scale Doomers, just as a mirror image.

But your question, Sub-Blue was for good reading. I have seen you poke around various threads looking for some predictive range. I would suggest you study some works like this >>>

Amazon.com: The Art of the Long View: Planning for the Future in an Uncertain World (9781863160995): Peter Schwartz: Books

That covers not only how to study and manage the Worst Case and Best Case, as we discussed above, but another Case -- The Changed Case -- which btw, is far more likely than the Worst or Best Cases, (if you are still on the prediction mode).

If this is of interest, the Changed Case Scenarios usually point to staying flexible and having the ability to adapt to those changes.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,024 times
What would be interesting to me would be to know how much it hurts you if you focus your investment/finance strategies on a coming crash that never comes. I'm not familiar enough with the strategies in these types of literature so couldn't begin to speculate on this question, but if it could be quantified then it would be interesting the discussion on additional risk one would take on of possibly hamstringing a retirement plan by planning for an eventuality that never happens.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM

ill assume most are so protective they wont hurt you, they just may stiffle your gains in bull markets....

harry browns idea which i love is a permanent portfolio which is
25% gold
25% total market index fund
25% cash
25% long term treasuries..

rebalance once a year

its averaged over 9% a year for over 30 years.... it would have lagged the markets of course if we didnt have 2 back to back recessions this decade but non the less for a bullet proof mix it did very very well.

it plans for :
recession
depression
inflation
prosperity

it covers each of those events and reacts accordingly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics