Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2006, 04:09 PM

77 posts, read 464,847 times

Advertisements

I see real estate ads for houses priced under $100K in Duluth but are these all dumps or can a decent house be had for such a price? I see most of them in the Lincoln Park area and some in the Observation Hill area and some also on the east side, which I gather is supposed to be the "better" side of town? Is that accurate? Also, what's Cloquet like? All in all, I've read good things about Duluth, sounds like an interesting place. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 11:35 AM

571 posts, read 2,531,206 times
The real estate market in Duluth is one of the most overpriced in the country (top 20) when you consider the price of housing relative to wages.

There are some cheap houses to be had, but as you've seen, they're not in the best neighborhoods (west end AKA Lincoln Park and Central Hillside neighborhoods). The east side of Duluth is generally considered "nicer", but you have to go far "east" enough...I'd say around 21st avenue east as an approximate "cutoff." Also, most neighborhoods "over the hill", basically anything up the hill from Skyline Parkway (i.e., Duluth heights, Piedmont heights, Woodland, Kenwood) are nice too.

The West Duluth (Denfeld HS area) and other neighborhoods further west (morgan park, Gary/New Duluth) are reasonably priced and not as "bad" as the west end/central hillside as far as crime and poorly maintained housing stock go. These areas are definitely more working class than the ritzier neighborhoods out east, but you'll find more hardworking, family oriented folks who take pride in their homes and yards.

Cloquet's not a bad little town. It's about 20 minutes to Duluth and they actually have a decent array of shopping/services right in town (wal-mart, movie theater, restaurants, etc.) And as you've seen housing is still more reasonable there than in Duluth.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:34 AM

32 posts, read 94,297 times
Default Cloquet

I was born in Duluth and raised in Cloquet. I have lived away from there for 22 years now, but just found out I may be going back. It does get very cold there, but less snow than where I have been for the past 20 years (U.P. of Michigan).

There are some nice things about Cloquet. I think most people go to Duluth to do a lot of their shopping. There certainly aren't a lot of great jobs in Cloquet. Real estate has gone up greatly while I've been gone.

Anything else you want to know, just ask.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:17 PM

592 posts, read 2,811,132 times
I've lived in Duluth for some 35 of my 45 years and having recently sold our new house to move farther out in the country, I can tell you with certainty if you can find a house for less than 100K, it will be unlivable or in an unbearable neighborhood. Much of the housing in Duluth that used to be considered affordable are now either in the middle of section 8 housing or is occupied by college students. Most of the housing in Kenwood, the Hillside, and other areas that used to be livable are now College rentals, or very near party houses. I just cannot imagine finding a livable property in Duluth proper for less than 100K. Another important factor to consider is the city has a HUGE unfunded liability it needs to fund and taxes are expected to increase as much as 70% in the upcoming years. My wife and I moved just south of Cloquet 1 1/2 years ago and find it to be very nice. Housing is certainly more affordable and we like being out of town anyway. We are only 20 minutes from West Duluth and more often than not can find anything we want or need in Cloquet. My best advice is to look carefully at the area you desire, not just during daylitght hours either. Drive around after dark to see what is going on, and talk to the local cops to see what you can expect in the neighborhood you're looking at.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:28 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,069,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Another important factor to consider is the ciity has a HUGE unfunded liability it needs to fund and taxes are expected to increase as much as 70% in the upcoming years.
If you don't mind my asking, what is the "HUGE unfunded liability"? It sounds juicy. Did Duluth lose a huge lawsuit?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:48 AM

592 posts, read 2,811,132 times
Default Duluth's liability

Duluth's past politicians have granted lifetime medical insurance coverage for all retirees without figuring a way to pay for it. The present mayor is trying to deal with it but needless to say, it is a tough nut to crack. Depending on who you listen to, it is presently at 21 - 48 million with property taxes in the city proper expected to increase 70%+ in the next few years.. Those aren't my numbers and it is pretty tough to determine exactly what the expenses will be. The school district is looking at a near 7 milliion debt for this year (I think that is the number) that they will "pay" for with cuts. Funny thing, a voter approved levy of some 12 million just a few years ago seems to have gone away. I'm not an economist or a statician but the way the numbers look, it will be a good many years for the local government to get this straight (if it ever happens).

Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 PM

630 posts, read 2,433,558 times
Duluth is a very scenic place, but, it can get very cold there.
As far as a home under $100K, I doubt if you'll find anything liveable for that price.
Your looking at $200K and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC219 View Post
I see real estate ads for houses priced under $100K in Duluth but are these all dumps or can a decent house be had for such a price? I see most of them in the Lincoln Park area and some in the Observation Hill area and some also on the east side, which I gather is supposed to be the "better" side of town? Is that accurate? Also, what's Cloquet like? All in all, I've read good things about Duluth, sounds like an interesting place. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,766,238 times
I wouldnt move back to Cloquet if housing was free. Lived there 14 years.

Stick with Duluth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth