Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,050,593 times

Advertisements

I was at Walmart the other day and found some WAHL professional grade Nail Clippers on Clearance. Since my dogs BOTH hate nail trimming, I bought them.

These toenail clippers are a really nice, heavy duty tool. They are nothing like the cheapie ones that they sell in most Pet Stores which aren't even sturdy enough to safely cut through a large dog's nails.
This nail trimmer has even got a little battery operated, rotary Nail File in the handle.

http://www.wahlanimalstore.com/produ...WAH+5960%2D100&.

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-18-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,128,701 times
Totally cool! This has me intrigued. Glad you found a tool for your pups that is more comfortable for them!
Sometimes I feel like I have to put a lot of force into cutting a nail with my current nail clippers.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Totally cool! This has me intrigued. Glad you found a tool for your pups that is more comfortable for them!
Sometimes I feel like I have to put a lot of force into cutting a nail with my current nail clippers.
I've needed these for YEARS for my parrot and my dogs.

The cheap ones are just not strong enough. I've been using wire cutters but obviously wire cutters don't have an "adjustable depth guard" to prevent cutting too much because they aren't made for cutting nails.

These nail trimmers are worth every penny !!!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,295,459 times
We use a Dremel nail grinder. So easy to use and I find that the nails don't grow back as quickly. We only use it once every 2 months, sometimes even less.

Amazon.com: Dremel 761-03 Cordless Pet Nail Grooming Rotary Tool:…

Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We use a Dremel nail grinder. So easy to use and I find that the nails don't grow back as quickly. We only use it once every 2 months, sometimes even less.

Amazon.com: Dremel 761-03 Cordless Pet Nail Grooming Rotary Tool:…
Wow! 2 months or so, that's pretty good MAK802! It looks pretty cool because its cordless. How is the noise level of the machine? Does it get hot? What's the good and the not so good about it?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I've needed these for YEARS for my parrot and my dogs.
Are parrots nails like dogs? Never had one (a parrot I mean) before. I'm curious.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Are parrots nails like dogs? Never had one (a parrot I mean) before. I'm curious.
Absolutely. You have to trim their nails just like dogs. Periodically, you've also got to trim their beaks.

Currently, I've been blessed with 3 animals that absolutely HATE to have their nails trimmed... two dogs and a bird.

In the past I've had animals that had no problem with nail trimming.

Not so with these guys!

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-18-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Wow! 2 months or so, that's pretty good MAK802! It looks pretty cool because its cordless. How is the noise level of the machine? Does it get hot? What's the good and the not so good about it?
It's really not loud. We've used this since PC was a puppy, so he is very used to it. All the grooming places use it, and we finally bought one for us to use at home after the guy at the grooming place told us we are wasting our money coming to him and showed us how to use it! They charge $14/nail trim, so we definitely got our money's worth.

I haven't found it to get hot, but you will find dust flying from the nails when you do it. So don't wear black, or you'll be covered in white nail dust! I know many dogs are terrified of it (then again, most are terrified of nail clippers as well!), but if you have one that likes it, it is such a lifesaver and a really quick way to trim nails, much quicker than clippers. And, if you already have a Dremel, you can just buy the pet attachment for the actual tool without buying this device.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
It's really not loud. We've used this since PC was a puppy, so he is very used to it. All the grooming places use it, and we finally bought one for us to use at home after the guy at the grooming place told us we are wasting our money coming to him and showed us how to use it! They charge $14/nail trim, so we definitely got our money's worth.

I haven't found it to get hot, but you will find dust flying from the nails when you do it. So don't wear black, or you'll be covered in white nail dust! I know many dogs are terrified of it (then again, most are terrified of nail clippers as well!), but if you have one that likes it, it is such a lifesaver and a really quick way to trim nails, much quicker than clippers. And, if you already have a Dremel, you can just buy the pet attachment for the actual tool without buying this device.
Don't wear black...check!

I already have a dremel, I will look into the attachment. Didn't know there was one. Thought the dremel for arts and crafts that the hubby uses was different than the pet dremel. Woohoo!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Don't wear black...check!

I already have a dremel, I will look into the attachment. Didn't know there was one. Thought the dremel for arts and crafts that the hubby uses was different than the pet dremel. Woohoo!
This article might help you determine which attachment to get. You might already have the one you need!

How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com (http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs