Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times

Advertisements

I need a good clipper that runs cool, quiet and will cut through fur like butter. Mine are clogging with fur, blades don't seem to stand up to much and by the time I've cut one dog I'm exhausted. I need it for long hair dogs who are prone to matting.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:32 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
What kind of dogs and what are you using on them now?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:04 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
What kind of dogs and what are you using on them now?
I have Tzu's and one in particular has fluffier, more cottony fur that tends to matt easy.

I have a Wahl rm6000.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
I don't know about the wahl, all my blades are Oster. If you don't, then you need to get a product called Kool Lube to spray your blades while your clipping so they won't over heat. Also do you clean your blades with any blade wash? You also should get some blade oil to keep them lubricated. These are things you should be doing to keep your blades in good working order.

Also if you use the blades after the bath then you need to make sure the dog is completely dry or you will ruin the blades.

Or you could just brush more often to avoid matts. Are you clipping the matts out before the bath?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,903 times
My favorite clippers are the Andis AGC Super 2 speed.

Go to petedge or any grooming supply website. You can get deals from the groomers lounge sometimes too.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:24 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Laube blades cut like butter. I have wrist problems, so I use the lightweight Speed Feed trimmer on three poodles and it does the job just fine. I didn't think a trimmer could do the job of a clipper, but these do. Blades last a long time with proper care and this trimmer is very, very quiet and low vibration, and blades don't run hot.

Kool Lube is a good idea, though; I use it all of the time.

Whatever you use, be sure to clean your blades thoroughly and lubricate them when you are done clipping.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,327 times
You have to take two problems into consideration: Many clippers are loud and that tends to scare away shy pets. You want to make your grooming sessions all about bonding and that won't work if the clipper roaring like a rusty airplane. Then, even the more expensive clippers tend to overheat. Some are worse than others so check for that if you don't want you dog to get "razor burns". Burning your pet with a overheated clipper is not only a painful experience for your dog, but may lead to infections. As for product recommendations, i'd go for either oster or andis. I don't have the adress at hand, but petsgolucky compared both brands and it's really about your preferences. I'd probably tend to go for the andis, because it's a bit quieter and my dog is pretty anxious at times because we rescued him from the shelters. They told us that he had a pretty rough past and you know how hard it is to make a grown dog change

Anyways, good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
i have a whal arco, LOVE it for small dogs, but its cordless so batteries only lasts so long and doesnt nessicarily have the power to do more serious coats (ie a standard poodle)
im planing on upgrading to an Andis AGC or and Oster A5 as soon as possible since i also need a blade that can be used or show trimming goats in the summer, keeping the goats udders clean, potentialy clipping angora rabits ect...the arco is great for portable quickjobs like the udder shave or a full clip on an angora rabbit but then thats it an you gotta charge it again

when it comes to clippers, splurge on a good set, your hands and dog will thank you (the casing and blades on those 25 whalls form walmart and even the $50 from petco get HOT fter about 15 mins)

i also suggest whenever possible splurging on ceramic blades....cant get em for the arco but i will be putting in ceramics on any future none speficif clpper sets i get, they dont get hot neer as much, dont rust and it takes forever to dull em.

im grooming a powderpuff chiense crested (full clip down) and hairless crested (simple face trim) goat udders and i do my friends cavalier king charles too... the arco works great for tht stuff, but being able to have ongoing power for larger jobs and ceramic blades is a dream lol

Old 03-25-2019, 04:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,108 times
I'm using Wahl wireless clipper, it is one of the best according to this https://oohlalapets.com/dog-grooming...ppers-reviews/ guide. Andis is wired and too expensive for me.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:22 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I need a good clipper that runs cool, quiet and will cut through fur like butter. Mine are clogging with fur, blades don't seem to stand up to much and by the time I've cut one dog I'm exhausted. I need it for long hair dogs who are prone to matting.

Any recommendations?
I posted this somewhere here before (too hard to look for) so I will repeat.

I used to groom my Yorkie. I bought expensive clippers at pet store or Walmart, can remember. They didn't work well at all.

Awhile later I read a book about grooming Yorkshire Terriers and the author said the best clippers are the WHAL clippers. I bought them, used them with no comb. They cut through like butter.

Walmart sells them for about 12.00 but Ross has them at times for 7.99.

They are grey and run on batteries. It is called a beard trimmer.

I really didn't feel too confident about the author's recommendation to be honest, but boy was I thrilled to find something to make cutting Yorkie's hair easier, faster and so cheap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs