Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,242 times

Advertisements

We had issues during the pet food recall in 2007, and I switched to making homemade meals. I use rice/potatoes, green beans/carrots, and beef/chicken/turkey (sometimes a mix, sometimes just one like all beef, etc). A pet tab and cosequin for my old dogs joints (one is 8-11, the rescue girl, and my other is 15). And a dash of olive oil. This is what I've settled on, but in the past I've added things like apple, sweet potatoes, a bit of brown rice, plain pasta. I found mine did better with less variety.

Treats are the same - some plain cooked chicken, green beans usually. My dogs coats are soft and shiny & their breath smells good. When I was growing up, we fed some kibble and table scraps - not the items that dogs shouldn't have. There are lists of those things out there if you google it.

In my case, it is a bit easier to feed my large dogs like this because we raise our own cattle, and starting last year, I even grew a bunch of potatoes, so that helps with the cost for dogs of my size.

I will personally never feed a dog kibble again, seeing the results from doing the homecooked meals. Takes a bit of extra time, but not that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 PM

23 posts, read 72,473 times
The homemade meals sound like a good idea, but don't they need cruncy for clean teeth?
I talked to a friend of my daughter who just went to work for Pet Smart, she said that in their orientation they learned that Euckenuba (sp?) was a high quality food for dogs. I used to feed my shizu-pom Euckenuba ( I know that's not the correct spelling) and then Iams and then S/D.....anyone familiar with this one?

Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
I have been feeding my dogs Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul during the week. On weekends I add a can of dog food to their kibble. Usually I add a can of Merrick's dog food, but I have been trying out the Before Grain (B.G.) canned dog food recently. I was impressed by their short list of ingredients. The B.G. Buffalo, for example, had buffalo and water for its complete list of ingredients. The B.G. Turkey had turkey and water for its complete list of ingredients. They had six different varieties, and all of them were the primary ingredient and water. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter which of those B.G. cans you open, they all look like gray mush, in water. My dogs don't have any allergies (thankfully), but one wouldn't touch the salmon and the other wouldn't touch the beef. Needless to say, I'm going back to Merrick's for their canned food.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Compare Eukanuba ingredients to Taste of the wild. I also feed my dogs Chicken Soup mixed with it.

They sell Taste of the Wild at Tractor Supply. It is a VERY good dog food. First ingredients are meat
I tried to find the ingredients to Eukanuba but they don't list them on their website in any kind of order and a lot of generalizations. I wouldn't say it is a bad food but it isn't that good either.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 AM

23 posts, read 72,473 times
Thanks Keeper, I will make a trip to Tractor Supply this week-end and do some light reading.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Wellness for the puppy.

z/d ultra for the allergy-ridden older dog.

They both seem to really love their food.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have been feeding my dogs Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul during the week. On weekends I add a can of dog food to their kibble. Usually I add a can of Merrick's dog food, but I have been trying out the Before Grain (B.G.) canned dog food recently. I was impressed by their short list of ingredients. The B.G. Buffalo, for example, had buffalo and water for its complete list of ingredients. The B.G. Turkey had turkey and water for its complete list of ingredients. They had six different varieties, and all of them were the primary ingredient and water. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter which of those B.G. cans you open, they all look like gray mush, in water. My dogs don't have any allergies (thankfully), but one wouldn't touch the salmon and the other wouldn't touch the beef. Needless to say, I'm going back to Merrick's for their canned food.
Ringo and Lucy love the Wellness 95% canned meat. They will eat the lamb, salmon, turkey .. . that's all I've tried so far. They get a little on their evening meal.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:53 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
I just recently switched to Halo dry dog food. It is made from the best ingredients--no by products. My dog loves it!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
My dog only gets Solid Gold food

Currently - Solid Gold Wolf King

alternating every few months with Solid Gold Hundenflocken

Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Tractor Supply now has its own dog food made especially for them called 4 Health. It is not as good as TOTW or other 5-6 star dog food but it has no corn and the first ingredient is chicken not chicken meal. It is reasonable priced. Check the ingredients of Eukanabua vs the others listed here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs