Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. My neighbors found a Westie that has been wandering out in the cold all day. They brought it in and drove down here to see if it was ours.

It wasn't thank goodness; Ringo is in. It's freezing cold and snowing; no little dog should be out all day in this.

However, she has no idea what to do next. The dog has a collar but no tag.

She is not an experienced dog person so I gave her some food and she is going to keep it (not sure of sex) tonight.

Any suggestions as to how she goes about finding the owner? We live in a large neighborhood and don't know everyone and vice versa. It's too freezing cold to go door to door and too much territory anyway.

How does she get the word out to people that she has found their Westie?

Should she call the humane society in the morning? I took her email address and told her I would see if I got any suggestions.

She has four kids and while they would love to keep it - if the owner is not found - I didn't get the impression she was quite up for that yet . . . but who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Awwww! Poor baby!

1. Go to a vet and see if the dog is chipped.

2. Put a "Found" listing on city message boards, such as Craigslist or City Data's state board.

Sorry. That's all I've got in terms of ideas. But, um, maybe YOU want another doggie?

PS. I know the answer. Ringo doesn't want you to have another doggie.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,848 times
Have them call all the local shelters and veterinarians. People often look there for lost pets. I once found the owner of a lost dog when I called to place a found ad and the owner had called earlier that day to place a lot ad.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Awwww! Poor baby!

1. Go to a vet and see if the dog is chipped.

2. Put a "Found" listing on city message boards, such as Craigslist or City Data's state board.

Sorry. That's all I've got in terms of ideas. But, um, maybe YOU want another doggie?

PS. I know the answer. Ringo doesn't want you to have another doggie.
Sadly, yes. I would love to have another doggie! But, I think I would be playing with fire to try to add a third. You know Ringo well. (Almost as well as I know Artie's poops)

But, good idea, I will put something out there on City Data for her or direct her to City Data.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
I agree have her call the shelter as I found a beautiful young lab one day and had to go to work in 3 hours.I walked it all over the neighborhood but no one knew who he belonged too and I had never seen him before.I could not leave him at my house while I was gone to work for 12 hrs as Jazz would not even let him in the door, She is not at all fond of labs and the fact they assume everyone loves them I did not want to take him to the shelter but had no choice so I called them first and it turns out she had just gotten off the phone witha man that lost a lab so she asked me if she could give him my number which she then did and he called and came over and yes it was his dog, So the dog never even had to go to the shelter, and was back with his owner and I left for work happy. I think most people have the smarts to check a shelter if they have lost a dog and want it back and our shelter does check for microchips. Craigs list and vets offices are good too or if she does not mind keeping it a few days she could put up some found dog posters too.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
Poor doggie! I agree, she should take the dog to a vet to see if it's chipped...if he is, the owners can be contacted directly as long as the information is up to date and was registered...if no chip is detected, the next step would be to start asking around at the various shelters, HS, and vets to see if the owners looked there for the dog...last step would be networking and placing "found" ads...be careful, though, because there are people out there who would lie about a purebred Westie then turn around and sell him for a profit...sad but true...!!!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Good news! She found the owner (somehow). She said the dog turned out to be 12 years old and the owner didn't appear all that alarmed that he was gone . .. but at least he is home and warm. So, I guess a happy ending after all.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Good news! She found the owner (somehow). She said the dog turned out to be 12 years old and the owner didn't appear all that alarmed that he was gone . .. but at least he is home and warm. So, I guess a happy ending after all.

Thanks for your help!
Awwww! That's good news. I'm sure Ringo is a bit disappointed. Now... about Artie's poop...

Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
I don't know where your friends live, but I've had the same situation with a Westie. Someone brought a Westie to my door when she found it wandering outside our building. It wasn't my Westie, and she left, wasn't sure where she went with it. A few months later, I took my Westie outside, and here comes another Westie wandering towards us....collar, no tag....just roaming loose. I hooked my scarf onto his collar and bundled both dogs into my car. I happened to run into a neighbor, who was aware of a nearby home with a Westie owned by young men who apparently didn't oversee him well. We took the dog to the house, and in fact that's where the dog lived. The young man was not freaking out that his dog was gone, just said he got loose from the yard. By this time, I was really annoyed....this is the second time I've run into that dog, and he should have a tag!!! Had I not run into the neighbor who knew where the dog lived, I probably would've called the county animal control or rescue. Poor little Westie....I love Westies....and now I have two!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs