Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 PM

378 posts, read 1,064,693 times

Advertisements

We have 2 dogs. A red pit/retreiver mix and a white maltipoo. They are best buddies, both neutered males. The problem is the pit licks the maltipoo so much that all the hair around the maltipoos collar is now brown stained and I cannot get it off. We try to get him to stop the licking but that is all the pit wants to do when they are sitting together which is most all of the time. In fact the pit always want to lick even the dog bed. He does not excessively lick himself though. I was thinking about one of those elizabethton collars and seeing if it would break the habit. I have no idea how to get the brown color off the maltipoo. ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Also wondering what the best dog food is for preventing tear stains in maltipoos. THANKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,684,131 times
You can try adding parsley to the maltipoo's food for the tear stains...sometimes it will help to reduce tear staining. There is also a product I believe called Angel Eyes which seems to help some dogs.

For the licking you could buy a product called "Bitter Apple" (available at a vets office or probably a pet superstore) and spray some around the neck area. It has a foul taste which often works to discourage licking. Also I would check the malipoos ears for any sign of infection or foul smell which might be attracting your other dog to the area and the bed.

I doubt an E-collar will help in any way. A dog can eat and drink with a properly fitted E-collar so it wouldn't be a problem to lick the other dog AND once the collar is removed the problem is likely to resurface unless you are able to address and resolve the cause.

Good luck.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 PM

378 posts, read 1,064,693 times
Thanks for the info. I am going to try the bitter apple stuff.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,382,890 times
I think the licking is an obsession ,do you walk your dog and excersise it regularly? spend a hour or two correcting your dog each time it tries to lick the other dog,.yes this is time consuming but after several corrections your dog should start to understand this isnt acceptable behavior, dogs want to please you,and will do just about anything for your praise and attention

Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,607,487 times
Charlie does this too occasionally. Usually it's the sofa, or after he eats something delicious he licks his paws (trying to savor the taste? ) I think it may be caused by anxiety in his case, but we usually just distract him when we catch him doing it, you can give a "watch me" command or other training command. Checking the ears is a good suggestion. Do you have a command that means no, like ah-ah? You can always use that when you catch him doing it.

I don't believe in corrections, but to each his own

Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,468,629 times
Our dog was excessively licking her feet, and then just licking nothing in mid air. She was diagnosed with fly bite seizures, stress / trauma induced seizures that make her lick like that. She was even licking our hands to the point that it was creeping us out. May be worth looking into if it is a constant thing.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,916 times
dog is excessive licking what can i do

Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,637,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypolevoi View Post
dog is excessive licking what can i do
Sometimes this is OCD (obcessive compulsive disorder) you have to distract them when they get into this frame of mind. However, you need to have your vet check your dog to rule out any other medical conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs