Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,299,377 times

Advertisements

I know, I know. The excitement is slowly wearing off, since turds periodically dropped on the floor really aren't my thing. But, we are fostering two 7 week old Pitbull puppies. They were from a litter of 10, and mama decided to stop feeding them when they were 3 weeks old. These are the only survivors. They are both males and cute as can be.

So, I need some advice from those that are familiar with puppies, since PC was (and will be) my only one and he was extremely easy as a pup. Is 7 weeks too young to housebreak? Should I just use the puppy pads for now? Do I feed them several times a day or just once? Someone told me just once, but that doesn't seem right for such a young age. At 7 weeks, they should be able to chew their kibble, right? Or should I add water?

Oh, and most importantly, who is looking for a new family addition? Come on, you know you can't resist a cute puppy face! Here is a picture of them. I will post more once I get a second to upload them to the computer.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,543,317 times
OH MY GOD!!! They are so freakin adorable!!

The only advice I can offer is what I dealt with with Buster at 7 weeks. There is no way in hell you're going to be able to house break them right away, but trying doesn't hurt. I never used pee pads....well let me rephrase that, Buster never used them because he ate them. I took him out every two hours, if not more, and of course after he ate, drank, played, anything that would work up his bladder.

Keep adding water to their food for a few more weeks, and feed them more than once a day. My vet told me that dogs should have food available to them 24/7 until they're a year old. I had Buster on two times a day for a while and then let him free feed for about a year until I got Bella. Bella is a pig so I had to switch back to twice/three times a day. I think I watered down Busters food until he was 3 months maybe a little longer. Also when you do feed them, put the food down for 10-20 minutes and take it up, even if they don't finish. That will teach them when it's time to eat and that it's not going to be available all day long, someone mentioned that to me, although I did let Buster finish his food, but sometimes he would only eat a little and then leave for an hour or so and go back, makes for some fun accidents in the house.

Good luck, they are so freakin cute!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times
Like human infants, they have NO control at this point over the bladder or bowel. There's a reflex: the bladder is full, nerve signals are sent to the spinal cord, and through a REFLEX (i.e. NO thought or control) the bladder empties. The same goes for the bowel.

And like human infants they have to mature into having control. At three months they're STARTING to have control and that's when you can really start the serious training. Per my house training post.

If I didn't live in an apartment in NYC, several stories up, I'd never use the pads. However, having said that, it's nice that my dog will go outside for his walks with me, BUT, if I'm sick or our schedule gets disrupted, he'll still use the pads! Especially in winter, when the snow can be higher than his head!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM

Yea, PC never used the pads. We didn't want him to think that peeing in the house was ever acceptable. By 4 months, he was completely housebroken and only had an accident if one of us didn't take him out often enough, so it was our fault not his. It's pretty easy to housebreak a puppy in San Diego, where it's always warm enough to go out without a jacket.

I am hoping that by the time they are 3 months old, they are no longer with me! In fact, I hope they get adopted at 8 weeks! I know, I know wishful thinking, but puppies are not really my thing! So, I will use the pads for now instead of dragging two puppies and a Porkchop outside every single hour.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Yea, PC never used the pads. We didn't want him to think that peeing in the house was ever acceptable. By 4 months, he was completely housebroken and only had an accident if one of us didn't take him out often enough, so it was our fault not his. It's pretty easy to housebreak a puppy in San Diego, where it's always warm enough to go out without a jacket.

I am hoping that by the time they are 3 months old, they are no longer with me! In fact, I hope they get adopted at 8 weeks! I know, I know wishful thinking, but puppies are not really my thing! So, I will use the pads for now instead of dragging two puppies and a Porkchop outside every single hour.

If you can take them out as often as possible, and leave PC inside unless it's time for him to go too. Also if you have leashes for them, put them on the leash so they know it's time to do business, not time to play. You should be able to get rid of them soon, at least I would hope. I got Buster at 7 weeks and wish he was still that small lol

Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,606,294 times
OMG so cute!!! It's funny the white speckled puppy almost looks like a chihuahua! Unfortunately I can't offer help, since I adopted Charlie at 4 months...but good luck! I'm sure you won't have them for long, they are ADORABLE!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 PM

How is PC doing with them around?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
How is PC doing with them around?
He's eyeing them suspiciously. He wants to know why mama isn't paying attention to him and only him. He's spoiled and does not share me very well. But, he's tolerant at least! Last week, we found 2 loose French Bulldogs and brought them home to call the number on their tags, and he was growling at both, something he never does, so I was afraid he'd do the same to these pups but so far, so good.

And you know you want one! Or two!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Oh I wish I could! They are too cute for words and Bella would LOVE them! If I wasn't unemployed and getting ready to move halfway across the US I would....oh yea and if I didn't live in Texas lol

And I'm sure PC is just trying to figure out if they are actual dogs or toys. My old neighbor had the tinyest dog ever and both Buster and Bella thought she was a toy at first, in fact I didn't know she was a dog when I saw her, just a little furball that could fit in the palm of your hand.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:39 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,132,121 times
For the feeding, it's 3 times a day until they are 6 months old. Sometimes they stop wanting to eat 3 times earlier than that, the doggies will let you know but until they do, 3 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs