Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 22,503 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get a younger dog (8-12 months) and am really interested in Border Collies (had one when I was 12-21, now 26). The one thing that's really causing me to pause, is that I've read they're very energetic and need a lot of exercise or "work" all the time.

Now, with my last dog (assuming some BC mix, since we got her at a rescue), we lived in a 2nd floor apt and took her out to run around once a day for about 30-60 minutes and that was enough for her.

Now, I know that not all are the same and that maybe what we had was an exception to the rule, but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for dogs with similar temperament and appearance to BC's that might require less activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
That's like saying, 'I really love pugs, but I want one with a long nose and a straight tail.' THAT IS THE BREED!!!!!

Either accept that fact or look for another breed. But not a terrier - they're dogs that also NEED to have jobs in many cases.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
If you're looking for less hyper, collie/sheepdog anything isn't for you if it's a young dog. Why not consider adopting an older dog instead?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM

Here's four border collie rescues in your area:

ILLINOIS

Away to Me Border Collie Rescue
Davida Dzierla (On WI & IL border ) - (414) 656-1891

Great Lakes Border Collie Rescue
Cayla DuChene Houston, Chicago, IL
Welcome to Great Lakes Border Collie Rescue
(312) 664-9551

Wisconsin Border Collie Rescue
Border Collie Rescue finding homes for abandoned and mistreated border collies in the midwest.
Gail Storm (On WI & IL border ), Orangeville, IL

Individual Rescue:
Lisa Ochoa, 905 East Fairlawn Urbana, IL 61801 (217) 367-2594

I found them on this site: Border Collie Rescue Groups

If you rescue an older dog, you'll get less hyper border collie and you'll save a life by providing a dog with love and happiness.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Contact the rescues and let them know you'd like a more laid back BC. I agree with Viral, that's just in the nature of a BC. But humans have been breeding things out of their genetics so long it shouldn't be too hard to find one that's lost it's natural herding drive.

Rescues usually have their dogs a while and know them well. They'll know if one is laid back and another is hyper. I also second getting an adult. Once all that puppy energy is run out they can settle in nicely and you get to skip the terrible puppy stage - housebreaking, chewing your furniture, the intense energy level, etc.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:26 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
I would check with the rescues as sometimes they have a dog that is not hyper like the typical border collie. There is a very sweet young smooth coat border collie that comes to the dog park and she is not the typical hyper BC. She runs around and plays at the dog park then is fine at home and her owners both work.

Another breed you might check out is the English Shepherd as it can look alot like a border collie. It is a herding breed meaning it does require alot of exercise and a job to do but they do tend to be less obsessive about things then border collies are. Once again a rescue may know of a more layed back dog as not all are super active .

Herding breeds in general need alot of exercise AND alot of mental stimulation to keep them out of trouble. But as with any breed there are exceptions and rescues may have the perfect dog for you. As some have suggested maybe an older dog would work out even though the breed tends to stay pretty active for most of its life.

I live in a condo and have a border collie X cattle dog even at 13 she remains an active dog and a month ago I had to have my Border collie X springer spainel mix put to sleep due to cancer. I was told neither would do well in a condo with out a yard. I feel time to spend with a dog is more important then a yard and I have plenty of that so for 13 years we have done great but please be honest with yourself about how much time you have for such an active breed. If you lie about that you will be unhappy as the dog WILL find its own entertainment and you probably will not like it.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 PM

698 posts, read 3,266,477 times
I would suggest a Sheltie(miniature collie). I had one for almost fifteen years and they're great dogs that only require normal everyday playing and walking. There's a sheltie rescue in our area,but don't know if there's one in yours.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
it depends on how much less active you want the dog. i dont have border collie experience but my australian shepherd is a pretty similar breed. they also need a lot of activity and have tons of energy but from what i hear its slightly less active than a border collie.

find a good breeder and buy a puppy that you can mold into your lifestyle from when its very young. the breeder i got my dog from appears to have a couple of litters planned for this winter. if you are interested i can give you her info. you will not find a better looking dog in a shelter.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 11-10-2009 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
I would suggest a Sheltie(miniature collie). I had one for almost fifteen years and they're great dogs that only require normal everyday playing and walking. There's a sheltie rescue in our area,but don't know if there's one in yours.
I grew up with Shelties---four to be exact. They are high energy dogs. You simply had an exception to the rule.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Australian sheppard mix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs