Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 12:22 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times

Advertisements

I have searched this forum for this info...didn't find exactly what I need...

We rescued a dog from a shelter about a week ago. Since bringing her home, she has been constantly sneezing, occasionally reverse sneezing, gagging off and on, and now coughing...Also very itchy and biting her feet...like biting to scratch her feet... So I thougth maybe she was allergic to her food...I went and got her some 'hypoallergenic food'... So far no change...

So my questions...

Do you think this is Kennel Cough?
Do I need to keep my small kids away from this dog if she has Kennel Cough? Can they catch it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 12:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
If she's having an allergic reaction, it may be to her food or it may be environmental allergens. If it's the food, it will take at least 6 weeks of eating nothing but the hypoallergenic food for you to see a result. That would explain the itchy feet, and maybe the reverse sneezing.

The coughing is more likely due to an upper respiratory infection (like kennel cough). These types of infections are not contagious to people. Have you taken her to see a vet? Finding a good vet who you trust is the best way to find out what's wrong, treat it appropriately and have a professional you can turn to when questions come up.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Could be Kennel cough but sounds more like allergies. (Especially the chewing on the feet - thats a classic symptom of an allergy) Its actually far less likely to be a food allergy as compared to an environmental allergy. For the inside of the house. Do you have a dog bed? If so, does it have cedar shavings in it? I've found that a lot of dogs seem to be allergic to cedar for some reason. If this is true take the bed away for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference. For outside, does anything seem to make it better or worse? What I mean by that is things like "it seems to be better when it rains" or "worse when we cut the grass or if a certain flower or tree is in bloom". Allergies are very hard to pin down. Best to get your kid into the vet to be checked out and see what it is. There are medications that can make your kid more comfortable for both!

Old 08-01-2009, 06:08 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
No...your children can not catch kennel cough. This is species specific.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Kennel cough is fairly common in shelter dogs and as others have said there is no need to worry that your children will catch it. While chewing and licking of the feet may very well be allergies it may also be something as simple as urine scald or a reaction to the chemicals used to clean at the shelter. If you haven't already I would give the dog a good bath, if you have already done so I would rinse the feet with water VERY throughly (some dogs go mad even from shampoo residue). It could also be stress related. Even though you "saved" the dog, being brought in a new home is very stressful.
If your concerns continue see a vet.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 10,233 times
my dogs hve this cough and they gag and spit flem up. How can I treat them?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroberts1 View Post
my dogs hve this cough and they gag and spit flem up. How can I treat them?
Take them to the vet. They need antibiotics.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
Our dog gets allergies and our vet recommends using benadryl. It is like one of the only human pills a dog can take.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Kennel cough is fairly common in shelter dogs and as others have said there is no need to worry that your children will catch it. While chewing and licking of the feet may very well be allergies it may also be something as simple as urine scald or a reaction to the chemicals used to clean at the shelter. If you haven't already I would give the dog a good bath, if you have already done so I would rinse the feet with water VERY throughly (some dogs go mad even from shampoo residue). It could also be stress related. Even though you "saved" the dog, being brought in a new home is very stressful.
If your concerns continue see a vet.
Thanks for all the replies... the cough has gotten a lot better but it is still here. I took her to the vet and he put her on 100mg of Amox BID x 7 days. I hope that helps her. Her stiches are now out from her spay surgery...I gave her a bath last night. I also took away her dog bed and switched her food... The itching has stopped...So now I am wondering if she really is allergic to the bed or if it was just something at the shelter... She loves that bed...Do you think I can bring it back on the scene?

Also, I was going to go home for a visit this weekend. I would bring my puppy of course...is she still contagious? I have gotten conflictin info...My parents also have a new puppy so if she is contagious still, the trip will get cancelled....

Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Also, I was going to go home for a visit this weekend. I would bring my puppy of course...is she still contagious? I have gotten conflictin info...My parents also have a new puppy so if she is contagious still, the trip will get cancelled....
I would call your vets office and ask their opinion. Kennel cough is easily transmitted and even if your parents puppy has had all its shots it could still be at risk for a mild case. I probably wouldn't risk it myself especially considering their dog is still a puppy, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs