Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 AM

5,518 posts, read 7,107,963 times

Advertisements

My dog just came down with kennel cough. I had no idea that something like his could be picked up on the sidewalk. I always thought that dogs that get boarded in kennels in close quarters get it.
I walk my dog around the block everyday and that's the only place he ever goes other then the backyard.
Plus I thought that all his shots, distemper, bortadella etc would prevent this?

I also have another dog that will most likely get it as it is very contagious. I have him on hydrocodone and antibiotics. I had a hard time finding a pharmacy that stocked that stuff. I felt funny going to a pharmacy with a prescription for my dog, he should be covered under my co-pay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
unfortunatly the vets DONT tell you that the bordatella (kenel cough) vaccine is
1: only effective for somewhere between 3-6 months (they dont know the exact time frame but generally t works for 3 months but by 6 months its useless.
2: ONLY effective against a small number of stains of the virus... (the last time i checked it only covers 3 of the curerently known 7 strains
3: the 3 strains it does over against are becomming reisistant to the vaccine.

when i was informe this by the vet i was working for at the time i ran home to do my reserch that night and that was it...i stopped giving the Bordatella, the side effects cna be worse than the virus itself and the vaccine is practically useless.

the good news is in most cases its mild and doesnt advance for complications (its greatest risk to puppies, old dogs and dogs with already compromised immune systems) so a round of mild antibiotics and some cough syrup is generally all the treatment needed.
I do know wallmart pharmacies stock MOST common pet medication now too.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
What Foxywench said!

Personally I find it to be a useless vaccine.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
What's really irritating is how I'm not allowed to take my dog in for boarding without paying for a vaccination booster that does nothing.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
What Foxywench said!

Personally I find it to be a useless vaccine.
ditto for me .... none of my dogs get it.... i am not goinig to pay an extra $14 or $17 or whatever the charge is for something that does nothing to improve their health..... for a healthy adult dog, kc is not much more than a cold is in a human, anyway......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What's really irritating is how I'm not allowed to take my dog in for boarding without paying for a vaccination booster that does nothing.

this is a pet peeve of mine, too.... many groomers require it now, too .... and the dog parks want your dogs to have the vaccine....

Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM

i think kennels, daycares, grommers ect want it as a "back up" dog gets sick after a visit to them they can say "not my fault i told you to get the vaccine" or "couldnt of been form us because your dog is vaccinated so it must be "something else" " and this isnt to say there being ridiculous about it..unfortunatly manay people try and sue kennels, and groomers ect for their dogs picking up these illnesses (which are quite honeslty like a kid getting chicken pox of a person getting a cold, eventually your going to be exposed one way or another and most develop some immunity afterwards) and so they have to cover their butts...and for others its simly because they either want the cash (ie boarding a a vet "oh your dog has to have a bordatella withint 14 days, we can do it for you for such and such a fee) or because they simply dont know that its not worth while (just like owners), they assume because their vet says they should get it...and trust their vet...that its somehting important and must be given...

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The vaccination is required by kennels and reputable grooming salons because getting one of the thousands of strains of kennel cough could be more of a danger to a dog with a compromised immune system than it could be to an otherwise healthy dog. People who are in the industry of caring for your pet are there to provide care for other clients pets as well.

For example, if your dog at a heart murmur, he/she could be at a greater risk of contracting pneumonia after getting kennel cough and that opens up a can of worms, you're going to be the one who is then upset that the kennel/grooming salon did not exercise every possible avenue of trying to protect your pet.

As said in a previous post, there is no sure fire way to 100% have an effective vaccine when it comes to many strains in existence. Similar to the human flu vaccine.

I can tell you recently a breeding kennel not far from me wound up having to close temporarily due to mycoplasma pneumonia which tends to come in by a carrier pigeon AKA (but not limited to only that path) Kennel cough.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
My dog just came down with kennel cough. I had no idea that something like his could be picked up on the sidewalk. I always thought that dogs that get boarded in kennels in close quarters get it.
I walk my dog around the block everyday and that's the only place he ever goes other then the backyard.
Plus I thought that all his shots, distemper, bortadella etc would prevent this?

I also have another dog that will most likely get it as it is very contagious. I have him on hydrocodone and antibiotics. I had a hard time finding a pharmacy that stocked that stuff. I felt funny going to a pharmacy with a prescription for my dog, he should be covered under my co-pay...
Our dog came down with kennel cough too and never been boarded in a kennel. It was terrible the coughing and sort of gagging like he was trying to cough up something. He stayed in the house with us and when we traveled we took him with us. This happened after a trip to Miami and stopping at rest stops to walk him and those doggie areas at the rest stop is the only place he could have picked up the kennel cough. Our Vet had the medication available so we didn't have to go to the pharmacy.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 AM

5,518 posts, read 7,107,963 times
So far I'm on the last day of medication and he is still coughing, though not as much and not as severe. I also had him on an antibiotic in case it traveled to his lungs. He seems ok, but now I'm worried my other dog will catch it.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 AM

generally incubation is 5-10 days for onset of cough (so he picked it up 5-10 days before you saw any symptoms) given id assume both dogs go to the same places and are together all the time, id expect the other dog to have started showing symptoms by now if it was going to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs