Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,909,919 times

Advertisements

Can I hijack this with a related question?

I have a mutt from the shelter. My vet has him listed in the records as a shepherd mix. My best guess is he is shepherd/lab/pit mix. Some people have asked if he is a pit. The other vet in the clinic took one look at him and said "what a nice little pittie".

When we move, we are probably going to rent a house (or live on a military base in privatized housing) for a year. Does anyone have any experience in whether the management goes by the vet records or do they want to look at the dog and figure it out for themselves?

I did not want to run into these issues (knowing we might have to live in a rental or mil housing at one point) and I would not have put myself in this position but when we adopted him he was young and his features that make him look pitty were not developed. Shelter thought he was part Malnois.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:55 PM

546 posts, read 1,501,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Can I hijack this with a related question?

I have a mutt from the shelter. My vet has him listed in the records as a shepherd mix. My best guess is he is shepherd/lab/pit mix. Some people have asked if he is a pit. The other vet in the clinic took one look at him and said "what a nice little pittie".

When we move, we are probably going to rent a house (or live on a military base in privatized housing) for a year. Does anyone have any experience in whether the management goes by the vet records or do they want to look at the dog and figure it out for themselves?

I did not want to run into these issues (knowing we might have to live in a rental or mil housing at one point) and I would not have put myself in this position but when we adopted him he was young and his features that make him look pitty were not developed. Shelter thought he was part Malnois.
I would stick with shepherd mix. Most companies when renting a home will ask what you have say she is a mutt shepherd mix of some sort. and leave it at that. The 3 homes we rented didnt ask to see our dog or anything most of them had never heard of the breed Belgian Malinois which is a dangerous breed.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:03 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,669,220 times
It is just horrible what is going on with this poor breed. What a shame! The Gangsta's and News Media have killed and continue to kill this breed off!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:05 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,309,266 times
All I can wish you is good luck! I'm glad that your dog has found a lovely owner that considers him part of the family, and not just an ornament one can discard whenever so they can get into any apartment they want.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
Default Canine Good Citizen Award from AKC?

It probably wouldn't always matter, but I think if you could show a landlord that was on the "edge" of approving, it might help them get over their concerns. The award is granted by the AKC AFTER the dog proves its training and good behavior, as demonstrated by the dog and its handler in trials.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,909,919 times
Thanks for the advice. When we move I am going to make sure I hand carry a copy of his records that state he is a mixed breed shepherd cross.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,443,026 times
Quote:
Honestly, the only thing you can do is lie. Where I live, NO apartment complexes accept aggressive breeds, especially a pit bull. Even when I owned a house, I had to lie to the insurance company.
Never ever lie to an apartment complex about your dog!! If they find out, you're on the street. If you're lucky they'll tell you to 'get rid' of your dog. No responsible owner would ever do that.

Be honest and up front. You may have to rent a home instead of an apartment. You many need to pay crazy deposits. You may need to pay extra per month. But by no means should you ever lie about it and risk being ordered to move or get rid of your pet.

For homeowners, or renters with dogs listed as dangerous breeds, call State Farm. That's who we have and they wrote our policy without batting an eye. As long as your dog hasn't ever bitten and isn't listed as a dangerous dog (not breed, but your specific dog) they'll write it with no problem for next to nothign.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,348 times
Default help if u can...

Hello, I would like to know where can I get the insurance for my dog. She is six months old and really a house pitt. How much does it costs and will it go even for apartment complexes because I cant get in a home or apt in charlotte?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubbs View Post
Hello, I would like to know where can I get the insurance for my dog. She is six months old and really a house pitt. How much does it costs and will it go even for apartment complexes because I cant get in a home or apt in charlotte?

what kind of insurance are you looking for?? renter's insurance?? health insurance for the dog??

as far as homeowner's insurance goes, i know that state farm does not discriminate based on dog breed..... i'm sure there are others, but don't know who they are.......

Old 01-15-2010, 03:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,060,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Never ever lie to an apartment complex about your dog!! If they find out, you're on the street. If you're lucky they'll tell you to 'get rid' of your dog. No responsible owner would ever do that.

Be honest and up front. You may have to rent a home instead of an apartment. You many need to pay crazy deposits. You may need to pay extra per month. But by no means should you ever lie about it and risk being ordered to move or get rid of your pet.

For homeowners, or renters with dogs listed as dangerous breeds, call State Farm. That's who we have and they wrote our policy without batting an eye. As long as your dog hasn't ever bitten and isn't listed as a dangerous dog (not breed, but your specific dog) they'll write it with no problem for next to nothign.

Yeah, ok..good luck with that. Sorry, but I live in the real world. I have been lying about what breed of dog I have for 12 years, and have had no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs