Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Big surprise awaiting.....Yup, at 4 am this morning I let my three Dachshunds out to do their morning duty and low and behold there is a baby skunk on our deck....!!!

To make a long story short.....they all three got dusted with this little stinkers unpleasant odor.

Does anyone have some type of remedy or something I can purchase that will counter act the skunk odor off of them?
Also in all the commotion one came into the house while trying to settle the other two down in keeping them further away from the skunk and I believe it got on my carpet.....can this be cleaned with something to counter act the odor in the house also?

Thanks and I truly appreciate any suggestions, remedy to HELP with this dilemma!!!
LOL!! Hahahahahaha....I'm sorry LC...that's just too funny! Only you would have this problem....oh wait....it's sounds like something that would happen to me too!

I have absolutely no advice since I've never had to deal with this but I'm certainly going to read what advice you do get just in case I ever have to deal with this!

Good luck my friend.... Hehe...smelly weiner dogs.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
The mixture with hydrogen peroxide is great. Just don't leave it on too long or your dog will have "highlights" and I would worry that it might burn the skin.
Whooa.... I just did it! That mixture is good stuff!! No, I didn't leave it on very long! I'm a hair stylist so I know the highlight thing....LOL!
Two of them still have a slight odor! Will give them a break till way later today and try it again!!

The two are males who still have the slight smell....so I gave a good covering of my hb cologne!!

Usually the three give me a little bit of fussing with bath time, not today!!!

Thanks....AngelaK, again! The coffee grounds is really working!!

Ilene....your so right! But don't laugh to hard...LOL!!! It seems I get to experience all kinds of fun things....but this one is just not my cup of tea....though!!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 tsp. liquid soap or dish washing detergent
That's what we use. But a fair warning - you, your dogs, your home, your clothes, and anything you go near for a few days will smell like skunk if they did get a direct hit. There's nothing I've ever found that totally gets rid of it immediately. It will help for sure, but it won't completely get rid of it. That takes time. You'll think it's gone until you've left the house for something and walked back in.

My Director of Operations just went through this with his bassetts. The GM sent him home until he could remove the smell from himself. And that was after bathing the dogs in the above mentioned concoction and washing all of his clothing and house thoroughly.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM

56 posts, read 176,490 times
the-exterminators ( as in the reality TV SHOW) Recommends and has recommended......----->

• 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
  • 1/4 cup Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon liquid soap / dishwashing detergent
Mix all the above in a bucket or bowl. Thoroughly wet your pet with the solution. Knead it well into his coat being careful to keep the formula out if the eyes, nose and mouth.You can use a sponge to carefully wipe it onto his face.
Once finished rinse the animal thoroughly with clean water.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:42 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
LOL!! Hahahahahaha....I'm sorry LC...that's just too funny! Only you would have this problem....oh wait....it's sounds like something that would happen to me too!

I have absolutely no advice since I've never had to deal with this but I'm certainly going to read what advice you do get just in case I ever have to deal with this!

Good luck my friend.... Hehe...smelly weiner dogs.....

Naah, she doesn't have to feel too alone - - - Our dogs got sprayed by skunks 8 times in one year!! Now, three years later I think they have finally learned that it's better to just stay away! We used the peroxide, baking soda, Dawn dish soap technique - it was the best thing we found!

I better watch out - Now, since I said something about the dogs knowing better, they will probably prove me wrong!!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
That's what we use. But a fair warning - you, your dogs, your home, your clothes, and anything you go near for a few days will smell like skunk if they did get a direct hit. There's nothing I've ever found that totally gets rid of it immediately. It will help for sure, but it won't completely get rid of it. That takes time. You'll think it's gone until you've left the house for something and walked back in.

My Director of Operations just went through this with his bassetts. The GM sent him home until he could remove the smell from himself. And that was after bathing the dogs in the above mentioned concoction and washing all of his clothing and house thoroughly.
LOL....you are so right! Had to take my hb to the Doctor yesterday and when we came back it was still here. But I do have to say, it wasn't as bad as it was that morning....

I told my hb to ask the nurse if he smelled like skunk.... I stayed in our car. And he did and she said...Oh,yes!! LOL....
So I'll be hanging out at home for a time.

Thank you all so much....for you help, suggestions, and remedies. It truly was much appreciated!
I sure hope I never have to go through this again... At least I'll know what I can do if it should happen again..

Old 06-10-2009, 08:05 AM

314 posts, read 1,105,361 times
Good luck! Skunk stink can hang around for months.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Mythbusters did an episode dealing with this very issue...

Here were their results...

The smell of skunk musk can be removed with...

tomato juice. Plausible Neither the two MythBusters, nor their builder Scottie, could detect the odor of skunk after they had been covered with the tomato juice. (It has been suggested that the strong odor/aroma of tomato juice masks the skunk smell until the human nose becomes desensitized to the smell of tomatoes, at which point the skunk musk is again noticeable.)...

commercial cleaners. Plausible The commercial cleaners tested had limited success at eliminating the odor of skunk musk....

a custom mixture. Confirmed A mixture of soap, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda proved to work best for actually eliminating the aroma of skunk musk. The precise formula may be found in the skunk article....

beer. Busted Beer did not work....

a douche. Busted A douche also had no effect at all.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
LOL! This happened to our collie last year and she managed to get in the house and rub her face (which is where she was nailed point blank) on the walls and furniture in our kitchen.

We baked coffee grounds at 200 degrees for a couple of hours to get the smell out of the house. That was pretty worthless, but we have a really big kitchen, so that may have been the problem.

She got bathed with the baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dish soap. That was ok, but I do have to say the tomato soup (we didn't have any juice, but we had a can of Campbell's) cut the smell the most. Unfortunately, we then had a pink-faced collie. The hydrogen peroxide got that out.

Nothing really worked to get rid of all of it. Just multiple baths right away, followed by washing the affected area every day for a few days...time was the biggest factor with the house.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
A douche.....LOL.....I've heard everything now. That's hysterical..............
Back in the day they always said Tomato juice. I'm glad to hear of the new method with B. soda, dawn & peroxide. Hope our Rotts never get close to a skunk. I would hate to see a white Rotty running around... A douche...that cracks me up for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs