Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:04 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,582,179 times

Advertisements

Maybe PC learned a bad habit from your sitter’s dog. He decides that showing some type of aggression won some types of attention and can control others. This may also be the way to keep the mean dog away from him while you were away. If he shows aggression again, you should say “NO”, turn back and walk away (ignore him for a period of time). Hopefully, he will learn that aggression hurts himself and his mom’s feeling.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,112 times
Default dog suddenly fearful

My yellow lab has suddenly started acting fearful and shaking. This only appears in the evening and she goes down in the basement and doesn't want to come back up.I have a Husky too,and they get along great.During the day she is fine.She acted this way when fireworks were being shot off.Any ideas of what is going on?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,311,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctransport View Post
My yellow lab has suddenly started acting fearful and shaking. This only appears in the evening and she goes down in the basement and doesn't want to come back up.I have a Husky too,and they get along great.During the day she is fine.She acted this way when fireworks were being shot off.Any ideas of what is going on?
You should probably start a new thread because you're more likely to get responses that way! What, if anything, changes in the evenings? Dogs can pick up on the smallest changes, so maybe something turns on, changes, etc. in your house during that time. Poor thing! We solved our problem by getting a different sitter and he's been his goofy self ever since. We can travel without (too much!) worry!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,479,056 times
This could stem from a number of reasons, hard to speculate. Dog could of been in Stess yes, but i am now questioning this sitter who was taking care of the Dog. Something seems to have happened, the dog seems to be in a mild state of trauma. How well did you know this sitter. The part of the dog showing signs of aggression, is what i don't like. Something has seemed to have happen, and it is with this sitter. Was she a licensed sitter some are. Did you get recomendations from her, before leaving the dog with this sitter, i am interested to know those questions.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 PM

628 posts, read 2,048,543 times
Generally dogs go through another 'fear period' around this age--so I wouldn't say something necessarily happened at the pet sitter. I would keep working with exposing him to things in positive ways. Also remember not to try to soothe him when upset "oooh it's ok baby" is the WRONG thing to say always. This is a great forum for dog folks
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/

Old 01-07-2010, 01:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,497,383 times
I agree with leorah. PorkChop's safe home environment suddenly changed, and two new dogs were thrown into the mix. That is enough to stress out any dog. I seriously doubt that this will be a long-term problem. Once you reaffirm your trust with PC, begin socializing him again, and go back to the routine he was used to, I'm sure he will become the dog he was before you left.

Owning a dog and traveling is always tough. I try to bring my dogs with me if I am going to be gone for more than 24 hours, but that is not always possible. In such cases, I leave my dogs at a kennel, or take them to the home of a friend that my dogs know well, rather than have a stranger (from my dog's perspective) come into my house. And I most certainly would not allow any dogs into my home if I am not there to supervise. I'm surprised the dog sitter would even suggest such a thing. Those dogs stressed out PC far more than you leaving him or a stranger home sitting him.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,923,338 times
All good suggestions. Since thread is now over 6 months old and PC has recovered, it is now closed. If you are having problems, please start a new thread.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs