Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:45 PM

4,802 posts, read 8,768,325 times

Advertisements

I've had my shelter baby for a month now. He's about 2 years old. I'm pretty sure I've never been this loved by any humans in my life. I can't make a move that Maynard is not right at my feet. I doubt any puppy could love me more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,791,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I adopted one girl when she was three......and she is inseperable from me....up and down stairs in and out and comes when I call her everytime......she looks at me with adoring eyes and her tail beats out a stacatto rhythm if I so much as look at her......Its a Heavy Responsibilty to be so loved. Heavy but so wonderful. Beautifully said.

very different relationships......wonderful dogs.....individual temperment.....different needs......I dont think it is puppy vs older when adopted.....they are just different.
I think Bella will be my last puppy. I had forgotten much work they are and how many times you need to get up during the night. LOL Of course she is now 1 1/2 years so all the difficulties are starting to fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I've had my shelter baby for a month now. He's about 2 years old. I'm pretty sure I've never been this loved by any humans in my life. I can't make a move that Maynard is not right at my feet. I doubt any puppy could love me more.
Love the name. Velcro dogs are the best!!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,972,326 times
The benefit to getting a dog as a puppy is the ability to train it completely. The problem is, 95% of dog owners have no clue how to properly train a dog anyway, and wait until it's old enough that it doesn't make a difference if they had adopted an older dog vs. a puppy.

I compete in agility, and many people there only have puppies because they want to train them from the time they're 3 days old to be comfortable on wobble boards, in enclosed tunnels, etc. Plus, many dogs only have a limited competition age--so the earlier you start them, the better. For the average dog owner who's looking for a pet though, that's not the case.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM

414 posts, read 1,012,874 times
Growing up, our best dog was Rusty (Golden Retriever/Chow mix). He was between 2 and 3 when we adopted him from the shelter. His first owner had him as a puppy and brought him to the shelter because she was older and couldn't handle his puppy stage. His next owner, a man, we believed (as the did the shelter workers) abused him. Rusty was terrified of men for the longest time. The only guy he every approached without any hesitation was my husband...well, he was my boyfriend at the time. Anyway, Rusty loved us all. If my sister or I were home alone (and we were older...in high school) he would be at our feet and attentive. As he got older he would come upstairs and sleep in one of our beds or at the foot of one of the beds. At about the age of 13 he became very sick and after several rounds of antibiotics the vet could do no more, and said he would be suffering, so my parents decided to put him down. Only the second time in my life I have seen my dad cry. We all did.

My husband and I have Bear...an almost 6 year old Pomeranian. We have raised him since he was a puppy. He is a WONDERFUL dog. We have a daughter, almost a year old, and he is great with her; exactly the opposite of what people say about small dogs. He is gentle with her and particulary enjoys sitting by her high chair. He is very loyal and though he's tiny, he doesn't know that and thinks he's our protector.

I think as long as you love your dog they will love you back...but it's in their own way. All dogs are different when it comes to affection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs