Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,776 times

Advertisements

For the poster about how to correctly remove a tick do a search in this forum it's been discussed before.

As far as getting rid of the ticks DON'T, smoosh them place them in a baggie and date it, if your dog gets sick (or you for that matter) the vet/dr will want to see the tick.

I've had tick borne diseases three times now and it is one of the many reasons I want out of GA. These diseases are horrific and sometimes have lasting side effects and complications.

I use Frontline SPRAY on my dogs and check them every day, I've already found 4 on my puppy as I can't spray him as much due to his size.

My adult dog not a one, I like the spray as you can get their whole body and their undercarriage. One of the breeders in my Sheltie group is a retired Vet and used to teach at UGA, her suggestion for the spray on long haired dogs is to section off the fur and use a syringe to make sure it gets to the skin surface and dot the whole body.

Please use the correct method to remove ticks and not the old wives tails you could create more problems by irritating it before removing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
As far as getting rid of the ticks DON'T, smoosh them place them in a baggie and date it, if your dog gets sick (or you for that matter) the vet/dr will want to see the tick.
Most vets can't identify ticks by site. Tick spread diseases are easily treated with antibiotics. Not the end of the world.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:23 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,529,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
My biggest fear, having a tick embedded on me, freak out would be an understatement. I don't do bugs...at all! No way could I even begin to touch it on me or my dog. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. Have our lab on Frontline and so far, so good. Neighbors lab is not on Frontline and has alreay had a couple of them. I believe he's on Frontline now. I really need to start doing tick checks now when labby comes in from the yard. Eeeww!

I dug a bear tick(big lymes carriers) out of my thigh after a hunting trip. Used my hunting blade, not paying DR to do same.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We live in a rural area, with lots of woods and fields. I have my dogs on flea and tick preventative, but it doesn't stop them from bringing them into the house!
Simple solution: Move to Alaska! There are no tics, fleas, or heart worm parasites in Alaska. It is a doggy paradise.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 AM

352 posts, read 483,031 times
A friend of mine told me when she was in Costa Rica , she herself had ticks on her ! omg the thought makes me itch ! anyway, she said the way she got them out of her skin was to put CLEAR NAIL POLISH on them ! it suffocated them and they came out of her skin on their own .

Old 05-09-2009, 11:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Foofoo View Post
A friend of mine told me when she was in Costa Rica , she herself had ticks on her ! omg the thought makes me itch ! anyway, she said the way she got them out of her skin was to put CLEAR NAIL POLISH on them ! it suffocated them and they came out of her skin on their own .
That works. The most common method used for removing tics is to light a match, blow it out, and put the hot head of the match on the tic. The heat causes the tic to release its grip so you can completely remove it.

Once a tic digs into the flesh, you can't simply remove it because you will just break the tic apart, leaving the head still buried in the flesh. So you have to find a way to get the tic to release its grip. Both the nail polish and hot match head methods are an effective means for getting a tic to release its grip.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:37 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Foofoo View Post
Interesting the things people come up with when they live in areas with no ticks.

Ticks are bugs, which are part of the world we live in. If you see a tick on your neck or your dog, grab it with two fingers close to its head and gently but firmly pull it out. Flush it down the toilet and get on with your busy life.

I pull hundreds of ticks out of dogs and myself all the time. You don't paint nail polish over them or burn them. I don't know where these stories generate from, but they aren't useful. If you want, you can pull them out with tweezers, but I think it's easier just to use fingers.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 05-10-2009 at 11:51 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 05:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,954,032 times
First of all it's LYME disease, not 'Lymes disease.' It was a named after Lyme, Ct. where it the disease was first described.

Second, ticks MUST be looked for on a daily basis: under ear flaps, between toes, etc. Using a tick repellant is fine, but it's simply not enough.

Third, the diseases that are disseminated by ticks are not that easily treated with antibiotics. Ehrlichiosis can be fatal and it's very tough to diagnose and therefore treat with an appropriate antibiotic. Lyme disease can also lead to permanent problems, even if it's appropriately treated.

Fourth, knowledgeable vets (and infectious diseases physicians) DO know how to speciate ticks. Always bring the tick with you with you see the vet. S/he should be easily able to tell you whether it's an Ixodes damnii.

These are not entities to be taken lightly. A

Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
First of all it's LYME disease, not 'Lymes disease.' It was a named after Lyme, Ct. where it the disease was first described.

Second, ticks MUST be looked for on a daily basis: under ear flaps, between toes, etc. Using a tick repellant is fine, but it's simply not enough.

Third, the diseases that are disseminated by ticks are not that easily treated with antibiotics. Ehrlichiosis can be fatal and it's very tough to diagnose and therefore treat with an appropriate antibiotic. Lyme disease can also lead to permanent problems, even if it's appropriately treated.

Fourth, knowledgeable vets (and infectious diseases physicians) DO know how to speciate ticks. Always bring the tick with you with you see the vet. S/he should be easily able to tell you whether it's an Ixodes damnii.

I concur. In dogs, symptoms of Lyme may not be evident for weeks or even a few months. Once the symptoms (and not all dogs become symptomatic) are noticed or the dog tests positive for Lyme, the symptoms are usually alleviated through the administration of antibiotics. However, in some dogs the long-term infection causes glomerular disease, which can lead to complete renal failure and death.

And, while Lyme may be easily treated in dogs, no one should discount the other tick-borne diseases which can be life-threatening to dogs and humans, such as Ehrlichiosis, Anaplasmosis, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

All of these diseases are difficult to diagnose in dogs and humans, so it pays to be vigilant and use whatever appropriate means are available for protection.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:15 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

Great post! Tried to "rep" you...but I must spread it around first!
Ticks and the diseases they are capable of carrying should not be taken lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs