Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:57 PM

692 posts, read 3,857,961 times

Advertisements

I haven't been on any of my forums lately and everything has been super busy.

Some of you might remember the last time I was really posting more often I made a thread that Teddie possibly had salmonella.
Teddie Possibly has Salmonella

After spending a weekend in the hospital he came back home and he was doing really well. That was in the middle of March and this past week he started having soft stool again. I didn't think too much of it until about two days ago. Teddie was starting to worry me because he was acting distant, slow and like he didn't feel too good in general.

Well last night I went out and when I got back it was around midnight. My mother watched him while I was gone and within 5 minutes of me being in the door she told me I needed to take him to the vet as soon as they opened in the morning because his stool had blood in it; like last time.

Now the last time he went in I was told it was from changing his food. However this time around NOTHING at all had changed.

So I took Ted and Velma up to bed around 1 in the morning. Since Ted hasn't been able to hold it during the night I put the baby gate up and kept him in the bathroom. I woke up at about 3:30 to check on him and it looked like some one had been murdered. There was just mounds of blood all over the floor, shower, towel and lets not forget Teddie. He was sitting there with the most pitiful expression on his face as if to say "please mommy; help me" and I couldn't do anything.

Bottom line is I cleaned up blood for 8 hours until my vet opened this morning. After talking to the EVet they said if he's still stable and alert than I could wait till the morning.

7:45 we're on our way to the vet and after a simple blood test come to find out he has HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) which pretty much means he has gastrointestinal ulcers or bleeding ulcers that are rupturing. This is something we're going to have to deal with the rest of his life and keep under control.

Teddie will be in the hospital until at least Monday and we'll see how he is then. Between the medications they will need to give him and the fact it wont kick in for at least 2-3 days; i'd rather him be in the hands of a trusted vet and they can clean up the blood for the next 3 days..

I've been up a wopping 30+ hours now and i'm starting to wear down

However last weekend right before I was getting ready to go out for the night I hear screaming in the backyard. Buster and Duncan are in the middle of a massive fight. My aunt was in the back playing with Buster and a stick, Duncan came over to see what was going on and Buster went after him.

This all resulted in Duncan going to the Emergency vet because of a 1/2" puncture an 1/8" from his eye and multiple punctures around his neck. Buster as ok besides the fact his left ear seems to be paralyzed.

On top of all the "excitement" with Teddie, Duncan decided to pull the stitches out of his face. So another trip to the vet to have his stiches replaced.

Now both Teddie and Duncan are at the vet.

That's my excitement for the last two weeks. I hope everyone is doing well. I hope to be around a little more than I have been; things have just been crazy around here.

Take care everyone.

Last edited by TeddieXRuxpin; 04-25-2009 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,438,466 times
Oh my, what a tough time you've had, when it rains it pours. Those photos are awful but it doesnt take much for them to get hurt and it sounds like everyone's on their way to recovery - go take a nap now yourself and hugs to all of you, get well soon!
PS Havent been around much myself lately (other than for a quick read/post), did you decide to keep Velma?

Old 04-25-2009, 02:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,080,604 times
OMG!!! "Chaos" is right!!!

I'm so sorry about Teddie -- that night must have been beyond scary.

And poor Duncan! Ouch!

I hope that everyone gets better really soon. And I hope that YOU get some sleep soon.

Be good to yourself.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:16 PM

156 posts, read 318,704 times
That's awful...hope every one is doing better soon. Feel for you and the pooches.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
Poor you! I have a big dog with HGE and it smells worse than anything - blood and diarrhea together for those who don't know. My baby is on a daily antibiotic and h has done really well. here's hoping Teddie does as well. And those 2 bad boys in the yard - what are you going to have to do about them in the future? Has there been bad blood betwen them before? Good luck on getting all this disaster under control!

Old 04-25-2009, 02:34 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,459,818 times
Wow...You have had your fill! Gentle hugs to you ALL! Now go get some much needed rest!

Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM

452 posts, read 1,724,786 times
holy moley!!! Hope everyone mends asap. SLEEP while you can.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:08 PM

692 posts, read 3,857,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Oh my, what a tough time you've had, when it rains it pours. Those photos are awful but it doesnt take much for them to get hurt and it sounds like everyone's on their way to recovery - go take a nap now yourself and hugs to all of you, get well soon!
PS Havent been around much myself lately (other than for a quick read/post), did you decide to keep Velma?
No joke about it pouring!

Velma is actually being scheduled to be spayed here in the next week or two and my past manager and his girlfriend are going to adopt her. I'm supposed to be going out with them tomorrow with my bf so they can see Velma and we can catch up. They are so excited to make her a part of their family and I know velma is going to be happy there too.

I'll still get to see her and get updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
OMG!!! "Chaos" is right!!!

I'm so sorry about Teddie -- that night must have been beyond scary.

And poor Duncan! Ouch!

I hope that everyone gets better really soon. And I hope that YOU get some sleep soon.

Be good to yourself.
Last night I was crying my eyes out. I've never been that scared before and all of the things going through my mind made me that much more crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellimatt View Post
That's awful...hope every one is doing better soon. Feel for you and the pooches.
Thank you Shellimatt. It's been a rough day, but we're getting through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Poor you! I have a big dog with HGE and it smells worse than anything - blood and diarrhea together for those who don't know. My baby is on a daily antibiotic and h has done really well. here's hoping Teddie does as well. And those 2 bad boys in the yard - what are you going to have to do about them in the future? Has there been bad blood betwen them before? Good luck on getting all this disaster under control!
They have had little tifts here and there, but nothing ever like this. We're taking it day by day and we're letting them take enough time so they're both cooled down.

Oh I couldn't imagine a big dog with HGE, the long hair was bad enough, but I couldn't have made it cleaning up bigger amounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Wow...You have had your fill! Gentle hugs to you ALL! Now go get some much needed rest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
holy moley!!! Hope everyone mends asap. SLEEP while you can.
Thank you Shelby and Ark.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:40 PM

5,096 posts, read 12,603,993 times
Sending healing thoughts Teddie and Duncan's way. It is true when it rains it pours. Hopefully the storm has passed and you all can get back to a normal more relaxed life.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:55 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,594,496 times
What a nightmare! I hope everything gets mellow-yellow for you soon and both Teddie & Duncan heal quickly, there is nothing worse than being afraid for our babies, it is so emotionally exhausting! You have done so much good in the world I am certain the universe will make sure things get better for you soon...hang in there & know we are all sending healing energy & the best possible wishes your way!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs