Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 02:58 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Would you please share beautiful/funny stories about your pets? I am posting on the dogs forum, but cats (and whatever other pets you have) are very welcome as well. Having adopted pets myself, I understand the tremendous joy we get from them so often. After all, we all know they give us so much more that we can possibly give them!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:31 PM

156 posts, read 318,402 times
Default silly

When Boo was a puppy the apartment we lived in was extremely small and old. My bathroom door did not close properly, it didn't latch. So all it took was a small push and it would fly open. Boo loves running water. Everytime some one was in the bathroom he had to be in there too. He would run down the very short hallway at full speed, lower his head, and ram the door. He would poke his little fuzzy head in the shower for a drink. It was kind of cute but kind of annoying (he never learned how to close the door so all showers were taken in the cold!

Well when we moved I didn't think anything about it. My boyfriend at the time was getting in the shower (the door closed and latched properly at the new place). Boo obviously had never considered this either. I was going towards the bathroom because my bf asked me to bring him a towel. Boo ran past me at full speed and before I could stop him he lowered his head and rammed into the door. It did not budge! He stepped back, shook his head and tried again. It took him a few more tries but he did eventually figure out that he should check the door with a nudge before running full steam into it! Silly puppy! BTW he no longer opens doors this way!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:05 PM

156 posts, read 318,402 times
Red face oops

Ok...so this one is more about me being silly!

Boo was my first dog ever, my brother was allergic to dogs so I was never allowed to have one as a kid. I picked him up in mid-November, maybe a week before Thanksgiving, he was almost 6 weeks old. The cutest thing ever, not quite 6 pounds.

Anyway, I was sitting in the floor playing with him a few weeks after I got him. I noticed that I had never seen him pant. I began to think that maybe something was wrong with. So silly! It took me a little while to figure out that he was not panting because he was not hot!!! I felt so stupid but I had to tell everyone I knew about it anyway. I'm the goofball, not him

Old 04-24-2009, 08:07 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
Our dog Molly is very maternal, even though she's never had puppies. When our one cat was a kitten, he and our other cat would play and wrestle around. Sometimes the older cat would get a little rough, and the little one would let out a "mew!" Molly would run into the room and bark at them, like she was trying to break it up. She still looks out for the younger cat, even though he has outgrown the older one!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:16 AM

543 posts, read 2,309,521 times
I have a couple of stories about Jake, our beloved shepherd mix that died on 11/8/08. He was a stray we took in , he was about 6 to 8 weeks old and so cute. He loved the kids, and was over protective of our newborn grandson at the time. We went on vacation one summer and my dad was going to keep him for the 2 weeks we were going to be gone. The kids took him to my dad's then just up and left for home. Never told Jake they'd be right back, did not leave one of their pillows with their scent on it for him. My dad called the next day and said Jake disappeared when he let him out for his morning duties. We cried for 2 weeks, worried when we watched the weather channel one night and heard about all the horrible storms in the area where my dad lives and tornado warnings in the area also. Poor Jake was out in the wild, he had never spent a night outside since the day we took him in. I went to my dads for a few days after we got home from the beach, dad still had not found him. The kids and I walked through the woods for hours looking for Jake.Finally after 2 days, I decided to come home and had decided Jake was gone forever and I knew my dad was tired of a 6 and 8 yr old asking a million questions a day. Lo and behold 2 miles from my dad's, there was Jake sitting at the side of the road, almost like he was waiting on us. I opened the car door and he jumped in the car trying to get his new "girlfriend" to get in with him. I put my foot down on that one! One psychotic dog was enough for me. The look on DH's face when I pulled into the driveway later that day and Jake sitting in the front seat right next to me. OMG that dog stunk! And I had to drive for 3 hours with him sitting right next to me.

My kids always had hamsters. Jake loved to sit by their cages and sniff and just watch them. One of the hamsters somehow got out of its cage. DD and I were tearing the house apart looking for the hamster. We finally set down to eat that evening, Jake comes and sits by my chair, kept pawing at my leg, and I could tell he had something in his mouth. About that time I said what is wrong Jake. He dropped the hamster on my lap. Never hurt the little guy. Looked at me as if to say look what I found.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Aren't they the cutest ever?!Ok, let me tell you a short story about one of my adorable dogs: I got home one day and noticed something on the living room floor, beige-like and soft, but at first I had no idea what it was... however, my dog was looking at me as if she had done something fantastic, so I knew there would be a little surprise. It took me a few minutes to remember I had skinned a (whole frozen) chicken the day before, and obviously tossed the skin in the garbage. Even though the garbage can was closed with a lid, she found it, opened it, and brought her "treat" to the middle of the living room to show me how smart she was...

Old 04-27-2009, 04:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Our old Mastiff, Dexter, who has departed was sensory deprived as a pup. He was raised in a little dark room and had little contact with people or other dogs until we rescued him...well he rescued us for that matter.

We were building a speculative home on the vacant lot next to our home and Dexter would go nuts over any tractor noise. We were alway careful not to leave a door open or off he would go. One day we came in from running the bobcat around to see how Dex was doing and we could not find him anywhere. Well we all ran the neighborhood looking for him and came back on the verge of tears. My daughter had gone back to the bathroom and started to laugh. Here was 200lb Dexter in the bathtub and all you could see was his nose peeking around the shower curtain.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Default Our Rotties...

Great topic/thread & it's good to be "silly".

When we lost 2 of our Rotts to cancer 2 months apart, I thought I would just die. I lost 2 of my best friends...my babies.
About 2 weeks after all of this happened I just happened to be on the computer & and of all things was on a Rotty rescue site...just looking around. I knew we would rescue/adopt again, but didn't know if I/we were ready.

I saw the cutest photo of a little girl that had been picked up by an out of state humane society. She was in there 5 days, before Rott rescue was called. She had contracted parvo which is deadly, but especially for the Rotty breed. She was saved.A foster family took her in & had her spayed. The humane Society said she was eating out of trash dumpsters spill over at a pancake house when they picked her up.
That's where we came in. We went ahead and filled out the application & basically was put onto a waiting list. I believe she said 9 people were ahead of us. Several days later, I received a phone call & she asked me if we were still interested.
YES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I told her. She asked many more ?'s & said she would call me back.
The next day we got the call & she told us the Rott was ours.
Even though they were 2 states away. They said they would bring her to us...to check out our place...That was GREAT !!! They did & she went crazy when they let her in our yard. Our 2 male Rotts looked at each other like "what is that " That new girl Rott ran like she was crazy...she was free & had a big yard & pasture if she wanted to run it. She was so happy. She even jumped up & grabbed the lower limbs on our white pines & hung there by her teeth.
Our older 2 boy Rotts still just looked at each other, like "oh-oh...we've got problems with this one ".

Luckily we still have 1 of the male Rotts from when she first came to us. The two of them are best buds. She'll even get in his bed with him and snuggle up with him.

7 years later she is still a happy girl.
Hubby says the pup must have ate at pancake houses a lot, cause when I make pancakes, waffles or french toast for him & the chickens...little girl Rott won't eat a pancake if it was the last thing on earth to eat.
Attached Thumbnails
Most beautiful/funniest stories about our pets-cimg1641.jpg   Most beautiful/funniest stories about our pets-cimg0412.jpg  

Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Our dog helps 'tuck in' our son at night. They have a ritual. I say good night to my son, the dog runs in the room and has to chew on his 'stuffed toys' lightly, and pulls up the blanket.

She likes to mother him!

Another cute one...when she came in from a walk the other day with my husband, she ran into the room where I was watching tv with our son and had to kiss/lick him, then ran to me...you know, greeting the pack....it was sweet.

Right now she is sulking. She sulks a lot.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 PM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
I love the stories so far.

My pets have always had the same quirk and the newest addition to my family has the same one as all previous cats and dogs had.

My cat Emme loves to supervise me when I am in the bathroom. As soon as she hears me go into the bathroom, she comes running. She hops up on the footstool in the corner and stares at me. It's sort of funny.
Anyhow, as soon as the toilet flushes, she has to inspect the bowl then take a drink. ( Hack, Hack, Yuck)

Whatever floats her boat. It IS weird that all my pets have had this same little quirk.

She likes to watch me in the shower also. Must be a fixation with running water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs