Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,172,110 times

Advertisements

too soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
When does the puppy phase end? Any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,478,643 times
My dog is 9 months and does this often, usually around 11pm. I think it's hilarious. I definitely laugh out loud at her - I wouldn't want to make it stop

Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,580,229 times
Thank you to all of you for the responses to the OP. And here I thought that our Lab mix 11 mo. old adoptee was just showing some kind of really strange behavior. She does almost all of the above most every evening. Love to watch her chase her tail. Round and round she goes. bumping into the loveseat, stops, then starts all over again. Grabs something and then makes circles around the dining room table.

You all are so right. Hilarious to watch. She will do her best antics outside after our late evening walk about 10:30 or 11:00. Runs around the yard as fast as a deer. Comes up to me, front end down, tail in the air, maybe a bark or two and then....off to the races again. Love to watch her in the snow and the piles of leaves. Clown.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:41 PM

177 posts, read 757,954 times
Quote:
This is something that varies from dog to dog, based on size. Big dogs are slower to mature, so they might have a kind of puppy-ish mentality for a little longer than smaller dogs.

For the OP's question: it's totally normal. My seven-month-old pup gets these, usually around 7pm or so each night. Has nothing to do with how much exercise he's gotten during the day; it just happens. We'll usually open the door to let him run it off in our fenced backyard, to decrease the chance of things getting broken!

This might not be relevant to you, but what TYPE of dog is he? Herding dogs tend to do this more, in my experience. I had a Border Collie who'd do this, with the biting and all. My current dog (a Keeshond) doesn't bite, but still gets super hyper.

Anyway, yeah, don't worry about it at all. Normal puppy stuff, esp. at four months!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 19,474 times
We have a CavaPoo who is 9 weeks old and seems to go 'crazy' mostly late afternoon or at night. She runs in circles, barks at nothing and attacks everything (hands, feet, toys, etc.). I am thinking this is normal now that I have seen/heard other people's posts.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 19,474 times
We have a Cavapoo who does this late afternoon or at night - she is 9 weeks old - runs around like crazy and barks at nothing....she likes to run after feet, toys, shoes, etc. and sometimes growls, which I am thinking is a 'play growl'.....

Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,040,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraT View Post
We have a CavaPoo who is 9 weeks old and seems to go 'crazy' mostly late afternoon or at night. She runs in circles, barks at nothing and attacks everything (hands, feet, toys, etc.). I am thinking this is normal now that I have seen/heard other people's posts.

cavapoo?? you mean a cavalier king charles spaniel and poodle mix??

and yeah ... puppy zoomies are VERY normal ..... dave is a little over 2 years old and still gets them every now and again..... so fun to watch...... although when he bounces off of bailey, she doesn't appreciate it.....

Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
My girls are six, going on seven - they still get the 'zoomies.' I just take as a sign that they are exuberantly happy.

That said, it can be very disconcerting, and, puppies particularly can certainly injure themselves or others while zooming around. I'd try distraction - identify some really special toy that baby likes and bring it out when the running around starts. Also, during the short moments of 'downtime' give the puppy lots of praise so that it is understood that you like it when the running stops. It will probably take a few (alright a lot) of attempts, but, eventually the intensity of the behavior should lessen somewhat.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
My girls are six, going on seven - they still get the 'zoomies.' I just take as a sign that they are exuberantly happy.
Exactly! PC is 2.5 () and he still has the zoomies every single night! We just arranged our furniture in such a way that he can do laps around the couch/table without getting injured. I'd rather have a happy, playful dog that one that sits like a lump of coal all day long! I'm glad to hear yours are still that way at 6, I hope PC never outgrows this!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,431,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Exactly! PC is 2.5 () and he still has the zoomies every single night! We just arranged our furniture in such a way that he can do laps around the couch/table without getting injured. I'd rather have a happy, playful dog that one that sits like a lump of coal all day long! I'm glad to hear yours are still that way at 6, I hope PC never outgrows this!
Ditto! I had to do some furniture rearranging, too. I got rid of the dining room table and just have a small cafe table and chairs and I eliminated one of the chairs in the living room. It sure did open up a lot of space for the pups!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs