Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:31 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times

Advertisements

Secondhand Smoke Bad for Pets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 03:45 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Great article. Our neighbors are chain smokers and have a husky. They offered to watch our dog when we go away, but after being to their place and smelling nothing but smoke, I decided I will never leave him there. People think I'm crazy, but he's my baby and I won't knowingly expose him to carcinogens.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:54 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
No, you are right and not crazy!
Smoke is sooo bad.
Maybe even worse for a dog/cat with long and/or thick hair like Husky because smoke smell sticks in the hair. Yuk

Sometimes very very stinky smoke smelling dogs come to me for grooming, oooh it is bad, and I feel so bad for them. Can't even get all the smell out sometimes, that bad.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,855 times
my ex and i use to smoke. or rather, i did and never realized just how much it could affect my dog. lucky for him, and me, i quit when he was two and my ex stopped smoking in the house around the dog. i can't believe we use to smoke in the house. nasty, nasty habit and i'm glad there is no smoking going on around my pups anymore!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:03 PM

182 posts, read 927,649 times
mearth, thanks for starting this thread. You would think this would be obvious to folks, but apparantly not!
sdweisman, thanks for your share. I hope it helps more folks become aware of what indoor smoking and second hand smoke can do to other hearts sharing your home and your air space!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Yes, one would think!

My brothers have had 5 ferrets over the years. 3 are still around, but 2 of them died of cancer. That is NOT normal, and not a coincidence. Our parents smoke like chimneys, and for awhile, my brothers did, too.

It's amazing the denial smokers can be in. I can't even stay at their house because they can't manage to keep from smoking inside while I'm there - and I have asthma! And I darn sure wouldn't leave my dog with them.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:16 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Good thing I only smoke outside... you should clarify with INDOOR smokers, stop killing your pets. Not saying you aren't right about the hazards, but hopefully many/most smokers are smart enough to keep it outside.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Good thing I only smoke outside... you should clarify with INDOOR smokers, stop killing your pets. Not saying you aren't right about the hazards, but hopefully many/most smokers are smart enough to keep it outside.
Oh, so you shower and change your clothes every time you come inside so your pet(s) isn't licking the carcinogens off of you?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Oh, so you shower and change your clothes every time you come inside so your pet(s) isn't licking the carcinogens off of you?
I don't smoke but whahh?? My hounds roll in dead carcasses, eat cow pies, and relish in tractor axle grease.. They all live to be pretty old w/out cancer, lol.

A guy smokes outside and your worried about it licking minute particulate leftovers from carcinogens?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
Well, it is Not good for them to smell any smoke. Coming in from being outside smoking, it Still does linger on clothes, hands breath...
Still toxic!
They have a very sensitive sence of smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs