Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:36 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,631,104 times

Advertisements

The miracle of life made an encore for Edgar and Nina Otto. A year after their beloved yellow Labrador retriever, Lancelot, died of cancer, the Florida couple welcomed a cloned copy into their home Tuesday. They’ve dubbed their doggie double “Lancelot Encore.”

Encore! Couple spend $155K, clone dead dog - TODAY: Pets - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,909,380 times
wow. I would be interested to hear from them in a few years to see how he compares to the original. That is a cute puppy but that is a huge sum of money.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,121,612 times
OOOOOkay.

So. I may not win any popularity contests on the Pets Forum, but I hate hate hate cloning pets.

Soooo wrong on sooo many levels.

Too many adoptable pets dying in shelters. Languishing in foster homes.

Too many humans who could really really use that kind of cash for life saving health care.

Thinking of cloning a pet? Visit a rescue group. Write a check. Helllllllo.

Sometimes I think common sense is dead.

~off soapbox

Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
Plaidmom,

I think your soapbox will be very crowed here! I think the majority of people that post here agree there are already too many dogs out there and that cloning dogs is a huge mistake.

I think people that support cloning of a pet or a human do not get the fact yes the clone will have the same genetic makeup as the pet or person you lost BUT it will not be the same pet or person you lost. People have this wild dream that the clone will be the same as the lost loved one and have its memories and share the same relationship etc.They think they are getting that lost loved one back. Well they are not and I find it sad that they can not say goodbye and move on. You can not bring back a dead loved one as much as you want too and to spend all that money that could have been used for so many other things is CRAZY!

I remember reading an article on cloning and some man said he wanted to have his mother cloned when she died as she had spent her whole life working so hard and he felt when he had her cloned he could give her the good life she deserved! Is that Crazy or what? The clone would not be his mom! People!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:20 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,704,888 times
I would assume that most people know that the dog just has the same genetic makeup but it is not the same dog. That being said I firmly belive that if a person has that amount of money to spend it is their choice NOT somebody elses. How would you like being told that because you have a lot of extra money that you should not spend it on a vacation or whatetever or that you should spend it on poor people. This news story came on at work and a young very tatooed man watched it and was upset about how these people should not have spent such money on a dog, however, I think spending any amount of money on his tatoos was a waste and could be spent more wisely. But that is his choice not mine. That is my opinion and I am sticking hard and fast to it.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:02 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
I agree that people can spend their money any way they wish and that yes we all spend money on things our fellow humans may see as wastefull. But I do find it sad that these companies that are doing pet cloning are really playing on people at a very emotional time as the loss of a loved pet can hurt as much sometimes even more then the loss of a family memeber. I also question do most people know that they will just get a genetic copy not the actual being back? The articles I have read when they ask the general public about cloning most seem to feel they would be getting the loved one back as the story I included about the man and his mother. Similar stories were common in alot of the articles. Lets also look at the fact that their dog that was cloned died of cancer what if that means this new pup has the predisposition to develop the same cancer?

I am sorry I can see cloning for new organs as wouldn't that be great to be able to take cells and clone new organs in a lab? But whole beings I think that is just asking for trouble.And I hate someone else making money off of a grieving person this way.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,713,449 times
They said that what it cost them to clone their dog was a small amount compared to what they have given for animal shelter and rescuing. So they are doing something to help and have 9 other dogs. It isn't like they don't care about dogs in kill shelters or anything.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:18 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,459,475 times
If I was filthy rich, I would happily clone my dog. Anything to see her face again.

In terms of adding to the overpopulation of pets, I think cloning is a drop in the bucket. Not even a drop....a water molecule.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 AM

339 posts, read 1,263,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
If I was filthy rich, I would happily clone my dog. Anything to see her face again.

In terms of adding to the overpopulation of pets, I think cloning is a drop in the bucket. Not even a drop....a water molecule.
But what happens when the price of cloning drops to $1000 and every one decides to do it?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:56 AM

18,126 posts, read 11,767,423 times
What happened to each dog is special and unique in his/her own way? I wouldn't ever clone a dog to limit myself to one personality or breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs