Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,023 times

Advertisements

I agree with viral md, as well as most others on here. the "rule of thumb" makes since with also taking in to consideration your pups daily routine. i just got a pit bull puppy ( 3-4 months old) and my lil girl drinks like there may be a water shortage coming. but i agree that i should let her drink as much as she wants, after all she is a baby. Accidents have happened but are few and far between, but that's just part of the joy in having a baby, right? I'm 43 and haven't had a pup since my 3 kids were toddlers and they're all grown up so its like having a little one all over again. just have patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:39 AM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn27 View Post
I agree with viral md, as well as most others on here. the "rule of thumb" makes since with also taking in to consideration your pups daily routine. i just got a pit bull puppy ( 3-4 months old) and my lil girl drinks like there may be a water shortage coming. but i agree that i should let her drink as much as she wants, after all she is a baby. Accidents have happened but are few and far between, but that's just part of the joy in having a baby, right? I'm 43 and haven't had a pup since my 3 kids were toddlers and they're all grown up so its like having a little one all over again. just have patience.
well it's been 5 years so I'm sure the puppy has learned to control it's bladder by now

Old 06-12-2015, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,726 times
I have a 7.5 week old puppy and he will drink until he pee's constantly - so much water that his pee is clear and he will pee tons at night and anywhere. I have no problem taking the puppy outside at night, or cleaning up after him but the amount he drinks is crazy... I have read to take up the water at night... and then to not restrict at all... I have found I give him smaller amounts to drink at a time and he seems satisfied. I don't want to restrict his water if he is thirsty though... that would make me sad... so what is the correct way ????

Old 06-12-2015, 03:03 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Mine would last overnight at about 3 months, but would go every few hours during the day. I do a long walk first thing in the morning, and a potty walk right before bedtime.

They are now 3 & 3 1/2 and basically the boy has an iron bladder and colon - pretty sure he could last 24 hours if he had to (no freak outs please, I have never attempted to test that theory! ), but he's a twice a day guy.

The girl goes morning, midday, and before bedtime.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:32 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana888 View Post
I have a 7.5 week old puppy and he will drink until he pee's constantly - so much water that his pee is clear and he will pee tons at night and anywhere. I have no problem taking the puppy outside at night, or cleaning up after him but the amount he drinks is crazy... I have read to take up the water at night... and then to not restrict at all... I have found I give him smaller amounts to drink at a time and he seems satisfied. I don't want to restrict his water if he is thirsty though... that would make me sad... so what is the correct way ????
Has he been to the vet for a checkup? Is he inside in the AC or outside most of the time where it's hot. Are you feeding him dry food? Is he drinking after he runs around and plays?

If it's not a medical issue, he may be drinking to cool down. Usually puppies should stay with their mother until at least 8 weeks old so a 7.5 week old puppy is really young to be separated and in a home. I personally would never try to restrict a dog's water. It would be pretty easy for a puppy that young to get dehydrated which could result in serious health issues.

If you're feeding dry food add some water to it until it floats that will also have the benefit of slowing him down while he's eating. Do not add water if he's a picky eater and doesn't eat until it's gone.

How puppy proof is the house and backyard? Could he be getting into something that he's not supposed to be eating?

The younger he is the smaller his bladder will be. I would expect to get up at least 2 times a night with a puppy that small.

Some puppies just pee a lot. My last dog was like that when she was a puppy but thankfully grew out of it.

How often are you taking him out? it wouldn't surprise me if a puppy that young needed to go every 2 or three hours. Is he doing his business when he goes out or just playing around?

How long have you had him? He could be stressed and panting a lot which will make him drink more.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
My male border collie pup wants to drink every time he passes the water bowl, and I fill it several times a day. He pees randomly and with abandon all day even when I take him out every hour. He is 9 weeks today. He has slept with me every night and had NO ACCIDENTS on my bed at night. 7 to 8 hours! But during the day I can’t get him to hold it!!

Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordermomma View Post
My male border collie pup wants to drink every time he passes the water bowl, and I fill it several times a day. He pees randomly and with abandon all day even when I take him out every hour. He is 9 weeks today. He has slept with me every night and had NO ACCIDENTS on my bed at night. 7 to 8 hours! But during the day I can’t get him to hold it!!

Sounds normal to me. He's still a really young puppy. He obviously doesn't understand he's supposed to pee outside which is also totally normal. A nine week old puppy is not going to be housebroken. You need to make sure he pees when he's out I'd take him out every couple of hours, after he eats and after he wakes up from a nap. I'm assuming you are using a phrase to signal it's time to potty and are praising him as soon as he eliminates outside. It takes a while for a puppy to catch on and be housebroken. It's not realistic to expect a nine week old puppy to totally get it.

I would not limit his water intake.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:56 PM

34 posts, read 158,138 times
We got our golden retriever puppy at 12 weeks and she’s now 14.5 weeks and drinks like we live in the desert. We don’t. We are in Colorado. At 16 lbs she drinks 32 oz of water a day! More than my 28 lb (8 years) goldendoodle. I’m at my wits end. I can take her out and she will go and then 15 minutes later have an accident in the house. I go to a multi vet practice and the one vet I talked to said puppies just sometimes drink more. But this is nuts. Any suggestions or anyone who had the same issue....what happened with your dog? At night we take away bowl 1.5 before bed and she goes 4 hrs without a break

Old 06-03-2020, 07:39 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Excessive thirst can be an indicator of several health conditions. Taking away water could make some of them worse. You should talk to your vet about this.

I have a dog that for the first year or so I had him had polydipsia. This is rare and hard to diagnose but can also be a reason for excessive drinking. Water regulation helped in this case but you MUST rule out cushings, diabetes, kidney disease or UTI before making this change.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:07 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Default ivhtnig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
Have him checked out by the vet, he may be diabetic?
That’s what I thought, too. We got a pup at 13 weeks of age and he could hold it overnight, about 8 hrs.

Now, riding in the car, that was a different story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs