Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

In June I adopted a min. long haired Dachsund and I realize all dogs smell that area but she is out of control. Everytime we're around any other dog she is always in the dogs butt area. I just adopted another dog and she won't leave her alone to the point where she also puts her butt in the new dogs face. Whats up with that and how can I stop her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 11:40 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You can't really stop her, this is instinctual behavior, to check out the "other" and make sure they're part of the pack. Just wait until she starts doing it to male visitors of yours!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-16-2008 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Some dogs just have a super enhanced sense of smell. I think the hunting breeds like the dachsunds come by this natually. We had a dachsie, she kept the entire yard dug up looking for worms, bugs, moles and goodness knows what else. Sniff, sniff sniff. All day long. To her, the entire world was made up of very interesting smells. Butts fall under that heading. We couldn't have stopped her if we tried.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:25 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
This is absolutely normal dog behavior. You might be uncomfortable about it, but seasoned dog owners know and laugh about it and the dogs expect it!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Perhaps spraying dog repellent around the butt area would help. Once your dog associates this negative ordor to the butt, she will disassociate herself from the fetish.

Last edited by dorado0359; 11-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 11-16-2008, 04:53 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Perhaps spraying dog repellent around the butt area would help. Once your dog associates this negative ordor to the butt, she will disassociate herself from the fetish.
That's a rather cruel method: what about the poor dog that can't get away from its own aversive odor? And it's probably not safe for contact with skin or for ingestion.

This is instictive. The problem is more your perception rather than the dog's behavior.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM

I realize it's normal for her to smell other dogs in that area but I have had dogs before and they never did it as much as her. All my neighbors have dogs and we are outside together with the dogs several times a week and she is the only one that's spends a majority of the play time with her nose up the butt of another dog. I don't mean to be so graphic but her nose is literally up there. When I adopted her she also had a problem with eating poop. She still does it but not as much.

What about her trying to always sit on my other dogs face? It really irritates the new one.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Dogs lick their own butts to get clean - anything you spray there will get into her and may poison her.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I realize it's normal for her to smell other dogs in that area but I have had dogs before and they never did it as much as her. All my neighbors have dogs and we are outside together with the dogs several times a week and she is the only one that's spends a majority of the play time with her nose up the butt of another dog. I don't mean to be so graphic but her nose is literally up there. When I adopted her she also had a problem with eating poop. She still does it but not as much.

What about her trying to always sit on my other dogs face? It really irritates the new one.
I've had poop-eating dogs in the past and seen similar behavior to what your dog is displaying. Unfortunately, she may be interested in other dogs' butts the same way kids are interested in gumball machines. Tasty treats come from them. I was never able to totally eradicate one of my foster dog's interest in poop and butts, but we did make some progress by using the "leave it" command and distracting the dog with a toy when he started to be more-than-usually interested in another dog's rear. It might work for you. This is a tough one to fix because it's self-rewarding behavior.

As for the face-sitting, don't intervene. The other dog will be able to deal with it if it bothers him. You can't enforce the boundaries for the other dog. Remember, Alphas don't intervene in pack squabbles. The dogs need to work that out themselves and they will. Only step in if there looks as if there will be a bloody battle.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 AM

Thank you to everyone for the advice. I don't plan to spray anything, I just wanted to know if there was something wrong with her and if there was a way to stop it w/o harming her of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs