Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

I use Angels Eyes for my Bichon Frise to eradicate the tear stains. I noticed tylosin is the active ingredient in it. I was looking for the tylosin without the liver powder and found the Tylan Soluble Powder. Now the label states it is for chickens but from the reviews on Amazon.com, people give it to their dogs.

Quote:
Product Description
Tylan Soluble Powder is a water soluble product contains 100gm Tylosin Tartrate/container that is labeled for chickens and turkeys to treat chronic respiratory disease
Amazon.com: Tylan Soluble Powder 100 gram: Kitchen & Dining

Has anyone tried this on their dog? People have been reporting 1/64 th of a teaspoon for their dogs.

I still have 100+ grams of Angels eyes so it ought to last for the next few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I try to discourage use of this product. It's actually an antibiotic (called tylosin). One of the guiding principles of infectious diseases is NEVER to use an antibiotic if it's not needed because that kind of use encourages growth of resistant bacteria.

I think it's a minor issue to have red tear stains, but it's a MAJOR problem if you're potentiating growth of resistant bacteria. That has the potential to be extemely dangerous, if not downright fatal.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 AM

Tylosin in a Macrolide antibiotic in the same family as erythromycin.

Tylosin

Mechanism:
Quote:
Tylosin is thought to have the same mechanism of action as ery*thromycin (binds to 50S ribosome and inhibits protein synthesis) and exhibits a similar spectrum of activity. It is a bacteriostatic antibiotic.
Spectrum of coverage: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...lan/page1.aspx
Quote:
Gram-positive and Gram-negative microorganisms, Mycoplasma, vibrios, and spirochetes.
Adverse reactions:
[/quote]Most likely adverse effects with tylosin are pain and local reactions at intramuscular injection sites, and mild GI upset (anorexia, and diarrhea). Tylosin may induce severe diarrheas if administered orally to ruminants or by any route to horses. In swine, adverse effects reported include edema of rectal mucosa and mild anal protrusion with pruritis, erythema, and diarrhea.[/quote]

Drug interactions: This is a big caveat in animals with heart failure.
Quote:
It has been suggested that it may increase digitalis glycoside blood levels with resultant toxicity.
Side effects in dogs (taken from the following site:
Tylosin)
Quote:
dogs can tolerate very high doses of tylosin with no adverse effects.
I researched the mechanisms of antibiotic resistance specifically to Tylosin:

http://www.pnas.org/content/99/23/14658.full

Abstracts: Effects of tylosin on erythromycin resistance in enterococci isolated from swine. Role of calf-adapted Escherichia coli in maintenance of antimicrobial drug resistance in dairy calves

Old 01-05-2009, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 157,829 times
Hi there

using tylan is definitely much cheaper. Angels eyes and angels glow only use other ingredients to make the bottles look fuller and to hide the very bitter taste of the tylosin.

It is generally safe for dogs. The previously listed side effects do not apply to dogs- one major omission to the list is that it can be fatal to horses, as herbivores they rely upon bacteria to absorb nutrients. Long term side effects in dogs is unknown due to lack of research. In the event of liver function tests the vet MUST be informed as it will provide false ast and alt levels,

Viralmd is right in one respect - little is known though about the risk of bacteria resistance especially given the widespread use of it in livestock and the use of tylosin as a growth promoter (now illegal in Europe). One saving grace is that tylosin is not approved for humans.

Please be advised that although a vet could justify prescribing it if he has exhausted all of the licensed options (via the cascading rule UK or extra-label US). It is not approved for dog use by the VMD (UK) or FDA (US). As a matter of law it is technically illegal to buy any product containing tylosin without a prescription. Your authorities may turn a blind eye to it depending on where you live- this is currently the case in the US whilst in the UK and the wider European Union it is actively prohibited.

For a long time the only effective way of eliminating tear stains was through the use of the tylosin based products. This is no longer the case- there are at least two natural products that I know of that work just as well as angels eyes, angels glow and clear tears. The natural products contain nutrients and vitamins that help to oxidise the iron deposits before they bond in the tears with the bacteria. This prevents the creation of the red yeast. These products are both healthy and effective.

From a purely financial perspective I see nothing wrong with using the rest of your angels eyes before (possibly) moving on to a natural solution.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:12 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Yes, it is used on dogs, too. Very safe.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamerluk View Post
This is no longer the case- there are at least two natural products that I know of that work just as well as angels eyes, angels glow and clear tears. The natural products contain nutrients and vitamins that help to oxidise the iron deposits before they bond in the tears with the bacteria. This prevents the creation of the red yeast. These products are both healthy and effective.

From a purely financial perspective I see nothing wrong with using the rest of your angels eyes before (possibly) moving on to a natural solution.
What is the natural alternative called?

I discontinued Angels eyes since the stains are gone.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
What is the natural alternative called?

I discontinued Angels eyes since the stains are gone.

Hi there

Of the two natural tear stain products the one i prefer is called angels delight - I have no idea why the word angels is so popular.

here is a link to my supplier, google to see if there is a supplier nearer you

Angels delight dog and cat tear stain remover

the other is called purify or something similar- my only concern is that it contains hops which are toxic to dogs.

There may well be others but as Angels delight works I haven't bothered looking for another product- the only incentive to look would be if the price was much/much lower, at the point though it would become too good to be true.

Pound for pound Angels delight and angels glow cost the same but angels delight will take about a week longer to work but it is doing good so I don't mind. Tylosin/Tylan on its own is much cheaper but it has no physical benefits.

btw with the tylan how does one measure out 1.5% of a teaspoon?

Old 01-10-2009, 07:17 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I can offer a few non/drug suggestions that have worked for me......sometimes used alone or in combination. Bottled or filtered water, a quality dog food that doesn't contain beet pulp, and a teaspoon of powdered buttermilk added to the food once daily.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
I can offer a few non/drug suggestions that have worked for me......sometimes used alone or in combination. Bottled or filtered water, a quality dog food that doesn't contain beet pulp, and a teaspoon of powdered buttermilk added to the food once daily.
I agree that diet change can be one of the singularly most important changes. I guess the biggest problem is idenifying the problem ingredients (and then eliminating them).

The filtered water makes perfect sense to me as you will be reducing the amount of minerals being absorbed. I don't know how effective the bottled water is- sometimes this is just bottled tap water (remember dasani Dasani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Metal bowls also seem to help here by slightly altering the chemical compositiion of the minerals.

Never heard of the buttermilk- weldone.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 63,318 times
Default I'm still not sure how much Tylan powder to use. Can anyone tell me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Yes, it is used on dogs, too. Very safe.
I still haven't figured out from reading these posts how much Tylan powder you should use for your dogs and how often. Is it by weight and tapers off like Angel eyes? Also the bottle I ordered looked around 1/3 full. Is that corrrect or did I get scammed? Why do they have to put it in such a large bottle?
Thanks so much for any info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs