Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 PM

321 posts, read 1,560,223 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some of you are aware that dogs are proving very effective in sniffing out cancer. I have been searching the Internet and have found lots of info and articles, but nothing on training. Is anybody here familiar with any organizations or individuals who train dogs for cancer detection?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 12:45 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,534,089 times
I was under the assumption it was a level training process. In other words...one doesn't just go into "Cancer training". You start out at the bottom in training and move up.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:55 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,591,377 times
I don't know anything about "level training process" I do have a detection dog [human remains] but am afraid I don't know anything about training of cancer detection dogs. All detector dog training is very similar though.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I don't know anything about "level training process" I do have a detection dog [human remains] but am afraid I don't know anything about training of cancer detection dogs. All detector dog training is very similar though.
Thanks GrannyNancy for jumping in.....I'm looking for the article I read about it now...but so far have had no luck
How did your dog "start" his training....I know there are levels...for instance...he did not start out on human remains?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Here is one article...but it is an older one and not the one I was thinking of. This one states no scent training was needed...where as the other did...and that was the level training I was speaking of.

Cancer Detection by Dogs - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:30 PM

I'm sorry...I'll be darned if I can find that article. I think it may have been a Dog Fancy article. I guess I spoke out to soon...sorry
Every thing I can find is outdated.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,591,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Thanks GrannyNancy for jumping in.....I'm looking for the article I read about it now...but so far have had no luck
How did your dog "start" his training....I know there are levels...for instance...he did not start out on human remains?
Uh, yes, that is how you train them. I am on a Search and Rescue team
I guess the thing is any detector dog - bombs, narcotics, cadaver, termites, bedbugs, endangered turtles, arson, agricultural products, food, etc.....they are all trained the same way - major difference is whether a dog has an active alert or a passive alert. I really don't know anything about cancer though - the main thing being the materials you have to expose them to and those you have to proof them off [things you don't want them to respond to]

Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,927,534 times
Default Canine Cancer Detection

Auburn University was testing dogs for their ability to detect cancer. Perhaps someone there could help steer you to other programs.

Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. - The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine - 14(1):61

Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Uh, yes, that is how you train them. I am on a Search and Rescue team
I guess the thing is any detector dog - bombs, narcotics, cadaver, termites, bedbugs, endangered turtles, arson, agricultural products, food, etc.....they are all trained the same way - major difference is whether a dog has an active alert or a passive alert. I really don't know anything about cancer though - the main thing being the materials you have to expose them to and those you have to proof them off [things you don't want them to respond to]
I guess what I'm trying to get across is: For instance...I have a friend who has a bomb detection/drug dog. He didn't start out on bombs! He had a level of training...in first...was he was put through multiple tests to see if he was even qualified...meaning the strength and stamina and "interest" in this type of training. He worked on finding all kinds of objects in all types of situations, before he was ever introduced to a bomb.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM

13,943 posts, read 39,477,082 times
Imaginis - You’ve Heard of the CAT Scan? Now, Here’s the Dog Scan: Canine Helps With Cancer Detection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs