Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times

Advertisements

Anybody have a good story about a dog vs. cat or dog vs. dog fight? Before you get out of whack about how insensitive and illegal that is, read my story, then tell me yours...

When I was in high school my family had a golden retriever who was a great waterdog and gundog. The lease we hunted had a bunkhouse adjacent to the barn where we would often relax after picking up the spread and squirming out of our waders. There was a woodpile stacked against the barn that was haunted by a half-feral barn cat. One morning, we found that this cat had delivered a litter of kittens. My dog, blindly benevolent golden retriever through and through, wanted to play with the kittens and, I'm sure, had only the purest of intentions. The cat felt differently. This cat puffed up to appear twice her actual size and initiated a bizarre half sprint, half slink method of locomotion that could only be described as "sidewinding" whilst emitting an impossibly loud, shrill and human-like scream. My dog froze in her tracks, cocked her head to the side and dropped her ears; completely incapable of violence or ill-will and just stood idly waiting for this train to run her over. When the cat was within striking range, she buried her face and all of her claws in my dog's rump and gave her six kinds of business as fast as she could. My dog tucked her tail and started running towards me, yelping frantically with the cat in hot pursuit. With every cycle of her gallop, the cat was throwing haymakers and stripping swathes of hair off my dogs ass. My dog ran behind me and tried to hide but the cat took a shortcut straight between my legs and got a mouthful of yellow dog fur again. I watched in stunned amazement as my dog ran under the truck, closely followed by the cat, only to emerge from the other side, again closely followed by the cat. At this point I felt compelled to get involved and ran to the bunkhouse door. I positioned myself on the interior and left the door open just long enough to allow my dog to beat a hasty retreat indoors but not so long as to allow the cat to follow, which she diligently attempted to do. The cat patrolled and guarded the door for the better part of 30 minutes before deciding that the danger to her brood had expired. That dog was awfully wary of cats forever after...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:36 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
That was Not a cat/dog fight That was a MOMMA protecting her KIDS!!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
LOL...Pretty much the same scenerio here.
A rescue cat we were fostering had her kittens and I had them down a hall in our utility room. She and my Golden had been the best of friends from the very first day...so I didn't think much of it, when the first morning I went downs the hallway and the dog followed. Mama flew out of her box and literally attached herself onto the face of my big male Golden! And he didn't have a clue as what to do! He tried to shake her off and she wasn't about to let go.....I grabbed a towel and literally peeled her off of his face...She was not happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Chevy had claw marks all over his head and face. Not sure how she missed his eyes! Safe to say....it was a long time before he went down that hallway again...even long after the kittens had left!

Same thing happened a few months back to our daughters cat and dog.. We were visiting....She had a litter of Munchkin kittens. Mama is the shortie and weighs all of 4 lbs. I had just leashed up her 9 month old Boerboel puppy (South African Mastiff) and was going to take her out for a walk. I guess we walked too close to where Mama had her kittens and she came flying out at the puppy! This dog, at the time, weighed in at over 75lbs!
And here this 4 lb Munchkin mama kitty is attacking. I pulled the puppy back and mama kept advancing! She was relentless! I was actually laughing so hard...it would have been a great video...cause poor puppy was terrified and cowering!
Never EVER mess with a mama and her babies!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:03 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,373 times
Your poor dog must have been horrified! I can't believe that cat kept going after your dog like that. I've seen cats on the attack like that, but never to follow for so long and then sit and wait too.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:24 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
Cats are vicious, killing machines.

I walked my dog past a couple of cats that were outside the other day. My 15lbs. dog was mighty interested in the cats and he doesn't have the purest of intentions. I made a comment to that lady along the lines of "he's just interested, he won't do anything." To which she basically inferred that she wasn't worried b/c her cats would whoop my dog's ass.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:29 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post

I walked my dog past a couple of cats that were outside the other day. My 15lbs. dog was mighty interested in the cats and he doesn't have the purest of intentions. I made a comment to that lady along the lines of "he's just interested, he won't do anything." To which she basically inferred that she wasn't worried b/c her cats would whoop my dog's ass.
LOL! I have 2 cats that out weigh your little guy. Pure, mean fighting machines!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I had a Cat when I got Jazz as a puppy years ago. Jazz would play very rough with the cat and she would tackle her and have the cats head in her mouth " chewing" on it. She never hurt the cat but the cat would be screaming the whole time like it was being killed yet it also did not stay away from the puppy. I mentioned it to my vet who said they were just playing and the noise despite how serious it was was just part of the play . He said trust me if the cat did not enjoy it she would tear that puppy to pieces. Jazz was the bigger of the two and the " game " continued well into her adult hood until the cat died ( oral cancer). Cats can frequently hold their own with a dog if they are not declawed that is.

Last edited by Dashdog; 08-18-2008 at 03:21 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 02:51 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Does play fighting count? About 30 years ago, my parents rescued a Manx kitten that they found out in the street. They had a terrier mix pup they had recently gotten and thinking cats and dogs don't get along, they kept them separated. The next morning they found the kitten sleeping with the pup. They never kept them separated after that. About 6 months later, there were several break ins in the neighborhood, so my sister gave my parents one of her shepherd/lab mix dogs. The three got along well together and there were many stories of play fighting. The cat pouncing on the terrier, the terrier chasing and jumping on the cat and so on. The most memorable one was where the terrier had a back leg and shepherd/lab had a front paw and both were pulling. The cat always came back for more.

I will say she was the best cat I've ever known. She would always come to you when you called and would go limp when you picked her up, allowint you to pet her. Usually, after a visit, she'd leave a dead mouse on the doorstep to help feed the family.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post

Well, I don't know about the vicious part, but my half-Maine Coon Cat half-Siamese recently died at the age of 24. He was a very large cat, almost 30 lb and all muscle. He kept all of our dogs in line, from the small ones to the 90 pounder, with a few judicious swats reinforced by some hisses and snarls. He never had to scratch or bite; he just puffed himself up to the size of a small Rhino and that's all it took!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:39 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
My in-laws have a husky mix named Queso, a rat terrier mix named Goofus, a lab mix named Paws and a bona-fide tomcat named Mittens. If you're human, Mittens is as sweet and laid back as can be and wants nothing more than for you to rub his belly (which I always found slightly odd). If you are a dog, Mittens is a real crotchety b&stard. One look at that guy will let you know that he's tough. His ears are frayed down to nubs, ripples with muscle when he moves, his meow sounds like a foghorn submerged in whiskey 6 feet deep and he has big scars on his face. He's fully armed and still carries his gonads. I've never seen him lay down the law with the dogs, but I've heard stories. What I have seen is complete deference from all three dogs. When the dogs are eating, Mittens will stroll up to the food bowl like he owns the joint and I get endless kicks out of watching the dogs hang their heads and very gingerly back away. If anyone makes a move towards the food, they get a hard eyeball and that spooky, descending-tone cat growl. No further moves are made. You want to see a well trained dog? Look at the dogs that live with a 15 lb. tomcat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs