Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:34 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,741,475 times

Advertisements

In the past couple of weeks I have become comfortable with my dog to walk off leash for short periods around the block. Prior to that, I had to work on him following voice commands outside (sit, stay, down, come, and stop).

Do you walk your dog off leash? Is there something wrong with doing this outside of a small neighborhood with very few cars around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,443,490 times
Do you have full confidence that your dog would not bolt should it see a rabbit or cat? Most people think they have full control of their dog, until the unexpected happens.
It almost every city I know of, on public streets, no matter how traffic free or how quiet the neighborhood, there are leash laws.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:04 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,176,078 times
I only walk my dogs off the leash in the areas that are very safe. We have a big filed about 10 min. walk from my house, i walk them there, and let them lose.
No other way they'll be of the leash. Plus we have leash laws.
As long as it's safe for the dogs, i see no problem with them being off, also, they MUST have a 100% recall response, otherwise, it's not worth it!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
Let's see I don't walk Cleo off lead as she's aggressive with female dogs. I don't walk Tony off lead as when his mind is on something else, he's tunnel vision.

During my all the years that I've worked with dogs, I've seen even the most loyal and obdient dogs take off after something "fun", most often a rabbit.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:30 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,443,490 times
I can't tell you how many times I'm walking with my guys and here comes someone with a dog off lead. The dog of course, coming running towards us...Dylan is very protective of me and my daughter and he immeadiately takes a stand and does a warning growl. He will sitt my command and just watch, but he has a definite ready and wait to spring attitude. The person ALWAYS says how sorry they are and can't understand it....the dog NEVER does this! I finally said something to a man not too long ago...it was the 4-5th time his dog rushed us! Guess he had selective memory!
I can name the dogs on one hand that I know that would not break for anything this side of Earth. And my 2 are NOT included. Shep's Mom called it correct when she said it must be 100% on recall!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,668,516 times
A neighbor (grown man) did it and when his dog saw a cat one night cross the road his dog ran to chase it and got killed by a car! This person was warned because the dog chased cats and squirrels, it was only a matter of time before the dog got hit by a car.
Usually it is a macho thing with men....a control thing!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:13 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,845,209 times
Actually, I don't walk my dog off the leash in my region , it is very dangerous ,and also he has not ever listened to me.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:59 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,984,316 times
Yeah, I don't either. Mine listens very well...but not well enough to be off leash where we are or in most places. I get him to chase rabbits out of the yards so I'm sure he woudl jsut do it instinctively.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
Since I have always lived where there were leash laws, I have never walked any of them off-leash. I don't trust any male dog when there is a female in heat anywhere areound him. Your dog could run to the fence, yard, whatever, and get in trouble. Scaring the neighbors is not a good way to make your life comfortable!

Old 08-17-2008, 04:18 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,078,568 times
I would only walk or let a dog run off of a leash unless it was in a larger fenced enclosure. I hate people who just let the dogs run, but if they are obedient and you're not violating any leash laws then go ahead and let them run. Keep in mind that cattle guards can break a running dogs legs. They can also eat a sick squirrel or bird and get sick if they bolt on you. I love my dog and she stays on a leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs