Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 09:29 AM

375 posts, read 783,380 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have a story about your dog thwarting a burglary or a personal attack? Share the tale (no pun) also give details about your boy/girl (breed, size etc...)

I love reading these type of stories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,519,190 times
LOL...Well....I'm not sure this counts, since I suffered the brunt of his being so brave!
Dylan, my Golden Retriever was about 8-9 months old. At the time, we trained with a group of avid dog lovers and trainers in Northern Ca.. We had just come from training and he was sound asleep (or so I thought) in the back seat of my car. I stopped to get gas, got back in my car and was about to start my car, when a guy (homeless I suspect) appeared out of no-where and leaned into my car mumbling something about what a nice car I had. It scared me, but I was ready to shift into first and take off. All of a sudden Dylan springs out of the back of the seat...pushes his way thru the bucket seats....barking and growling (right in my ear) and lands in my lap. Dylan has always been a BIG boy and probably weighed in about 75 lbs. The guy definately was taken by surprise (as was I) and he backed out of the window. So now...here I am, partly deaf from the barking directly into my ear and my legs are all scratched and bleeding from Dylan landing on me! (It was summer time and I had shorts on) LOL....Dylan was so proud of himself! He just beamed his big goofy smile and wagged his tail..."I did good Mom, right, right...huh huh huh...did good right Mom, right?" I had ringing in my ears and black and blue marks on my leg for 2 weeks after that.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,792,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...Well....I'm not sure this counts, since I suffered the brunt of his being so brave!
Dylan, my Golden Retriever was about 8-9 months old. At the time, we trained with a group of avid dog lovers and trainers in Northern Ca.. We had just come from training and he was sound asleep (or so I thought) in the back seat of my car. I stopped to get gas, got back in my car and was about to start my car, when a guy (homeless I suspect) appeared out of no-where and leaned into my car mumbling something about what a nice car I had. It scared me, but I was ready to shift into first and take off. All of a sudden Dylan springs out of the back of the seat...pushes his way thru the bucket seats....barking and growling (right in my ear) and lands in my lap. Dylan has always been a BIG boy and probably weighed in about 75 lbs. The guy definately was taken by surprise (as was I) and he backed out of the window. So now...here I am, partly deaf from the barking directly into my ear and my legs are all scratched and bleeding from Dylan landing on me! (It was summer time and I had shorts on) LOL....Dylan was so proud of himself! He just beamed his big goofy smile and wagged his tail..."I did good Mom, right, right...huh huh huh...did good right Mom, right?" I had ringing in my ears and black and blue marks on my leg for 2 weeks after that.
I'd say Dylan was a very good boy!! Hope he got extra treats for that one.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:17 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,627,738 times
Default Rusty

A few years ago my sister up in Portland OR was walking her big Collie Mix Rusty. He ws on a flexi leash so was out ahead of her and as they crossed the bank parking lot a man came running out and not seeing the thin cord of the flexi leash tripped over the leash and dropped what he had in his arms, the cops were right behind him. Turns out he had robbed the bank and what he dropped was the bag of money. My sister and Rusty were not brave but they were in the right place at the right time.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,925,205 times
Many years ago I lived in an antique house on a dead end dirt road way out in the country. At the time I had a large white Shepherd mix I'd rescued as a pup, a Mini Poodle and a Shih-Tzu. I was home early from work on a weekday and alone. I was upstairs with the dogs and suddenly Sabra, the Shepherd mix, turned and trotted downstairs. This was unusual, since she generally stayed close by me. I followed her to the first floor and saw her lying in front of the cellar door growling at it. I reached for the doorknob and she pushed me away and wouldn't let me near the door. She began to bark and growl at the door. Of course the two little ones started a racket, too. When I walked away to go check outside Sabra ran after me and barked. Stupid me, I finally got the message. I checked to see that the doors were locked and called my neighbor and the police. Meanwhile Sabra ran back to the cellar door and just sat there and growled and snarled. My neighbor ran over and found the bulkhead door in the back of the house had been forced open but saw no one was in the cellar. Some of my husband's tools were missing and others were found on the top step of the cellar stairs. The police thought that the thieves didn't know I was home and had intended to come upstairs until Sabra scared them away with her snarling and barking. There were other thefts in the area for months, and some homes were robbed several times, but our house wasn't broken into again. The thieves were finally caught. One of them was convicted of murdering a man by tying him up and throwing him off of a bridge. Our tools were long gone, but one of our neighbors got some of their property back.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,925,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
A few years ago my sister up in Portland OR was walking her big Collie Mix Rusty. He ws on a flexi leash so was out ahead of her and as they crossed the bank parking lot a man came running out and not seeing the thin cord of the flexi leash tripped over the leash and dropped what he had in his arms, the cops were right behind him. Turns out he had robbed the bank and what he dropped was the bag of money. My sister and Rusty were not brave but they were in the right place at the right time.
And some folks say flexi-leads are dangerous....

Old 08-14-2008, 02:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,586,342 times
I once went down a snow bank to check something out. The snow was deep and making it hard to climb up. My first GSD let me use her as a handhold to climb back up to the road. I probably could've climbed out on my own, but it would have taken at least a half hour to do so versus the two minutes with her help.

Later, when I went back to school, we lived in on a street about a block from what was considered a drug area. Our GSD would keep watch from the deck and when she spotted someone walking up the hill, she'd run down to the fence corner hidden by bushes. Just as the person got to the corner, she'd jump up and bark. We thought she gave a heart attack to some of the people, but I think she thought it was great sport. Soon after, most people would cross the street, walk by the house and then cross back. The result was that we were never broken into, although the neighbors had been burglarized 1-2 times each while we lived there.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,994,598 times
When I was on the back roads of Georgia (think Deliverance country), I had to stop at a gas station. This was some years ago and they didn't have pay at the pump but they did have an attendant. He said he didn't know about taking credit cards and I'd have to come in while he called his manager. I wasn't about to go inside and just then, my Great Dane female poked her head out the open window and growled. He decided real fast that he could take the credit card.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:51 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,525,111 times
My dog Chelsea sits on the front porch most nights or inside on her dog bed in the front window. She has caught 3 burglars and one domestic squabble that became violent. All one has to say is look, see or even watch, and she will run to the front window or door and look out at the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs