Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:03 PM

23 posts, read 47,482 times

Advertisements

Wow.. what a fustrating situation as well as heart breaking, the loss of your dog.

It's sad to hear about pets acting out like this and altho part me believes that the dogs have different personalities, just as we do... the other part of me believes that we, as the owners, need to teach them right from wrong.

My girlie is a mix breed, no clue what she is mixed with, but she's a hyper one! She is 9 months old and she knows the word "NO" and the tone of my voice when I mean business. We have 6 kids between me and my fiance, so I train her to listen. If I didn't dedicate the time and effort in training her, then she would be all over the kids and running around the house like a crazy dog! These neighbors of yours, they obviously do not see the responsibility and rewards of having a wonderful addition to a the family nor do they care to take the time to train them properly. Just goes to show that there are people out there that just shouldn't have pets and most times the poor animal suffers in the end.

I would be making some phone calls to get something done. If anything maybe those Goldies can be put in a home that the owners will actually take care of them in the right way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 21,270 times
Default I don't hate dogs - I hate their ridiculous demented owners

I had an old girl (newfy) for 13 years and she was a doll. Gentle as a lamb. She'd even let my little boy reach into her mouth when she was eating because he thought it might taste good. Anway, she was trained from the beginning to walk on a leash, come when called, sit and stay, no jumping and socialized with cats, and other dogs. I knew I had to do this because she was going to be a BIG dog and I was responsible for her and her behavior. Well, I realize that not everyone thinks the same was as I do. To me, a dog is a dog. To our new neighbours, a dog is a kid. It's so weird. They've moved in with 3 dogs and 2 cats and well, I guess it's just Ok if the dogs get out and go visit the neighbourhood barking and snarling and whomever they please. These are big dogs too. One is a shepherd cross and the other some sort of lab mix. The 3rd one is a poodle type but will bark up a storm too. They've been in my yard 3 times. My old man (who was very attached to my old girl) finally had it and let it be known that if he cleaned up one more turd, it was going through our new neighbours front window, followed by his dogs. He's not afraid to do it either. Well, these folks seem to think that it's ok that their dogs run loose cause their dogs are loveable and have never bitten anyone before. Well, there's always a first time and you can ask the owners of dogs who finally did bite someone how nice it is to be putting out all that money month after month because they were sued in court after their non-biting dog finally chomped on someone. People are now afraid to walk their dogs down our street because the 3 dogs in question will charge the fence barking and trying to get out of the gate. God forbid they finally do get through. You want to know the best part? These losers are part of a group called Petsave who rescue unwanted animals and try to find them good homes. Give me a break. Their yard is like Sanford and Son and there's garbage from one end to the other. I'm going to report them to the police, humane society, SPCA and Petsave head office and to whomever else will listen. Well....anyway...that's my rant for the day.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
Good for you. Would also take photos of their yard as well as their dogs in your yard, it can only help your situation. They should really use leashes to walk them or fence the yard in (or a portion of it) so the dogs would have some freedom but not running amuck thru the neighbor. SOme people are just inconsiderate. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,582 times
To the OP and anyone else in this situation: speak to everyone! Voice your concerns to not only the family members in question, but also to other family members, the police (sheriff and state), ASPCA, humane society, any and all pet shelters/rescue organisations etc. Tell everyone, and make yourself a pain until something is done. It is not right for any dog to be kept in bad conditions, and the puppy GR obviously needs help to get over the killing.

Protest about their treatment at every available opportunity. See a lawyer/attorney and try and get them in court or have a ban on them keeping pets put on them. I know they are family, but as some have already said, what if they come back? That may be you getting bitten next, another dog, a child, or even the owners. Do something before it is too late!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:11 AM

543 posts, read 2,363,861 times
I just wanted to post and update since it has been so long since I originally posted this.

We have fenced in a small portion of the backyard now. I have had the neighbor's dogs come for a little visit now and then and have found that just picking up the phone and calling the neighbor works wonders now. Especially after I threatened to sue them for the cost of my chihuahua. In that letter I recommended that they take what they owe me and give that donation to the local shelter for the spay/neuter program as this is an issue with them and their females.

Our girl is adjusting to the fence as good as to be expected. She's a JRT and can jump pretty darn high but has not made it over the fence yet!

Thanks for all the advice. I did manage to get the AP to patrol our area more frequently. It seems that this has helped with the other dogs roaming on our property.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
Just to touch on a few things that were posted....(Thanks for the advice! I totally agree about the fencing & will discuss it with the hubby again)

I do blame the owners. However, there is something seriously wrong with this dog! I do not know if he is inbred or he was just the bad pup in the litter. All the more reason to get on the ball about keeping him from harming another dog, child or adult. He's got the crazy eyes and I know he is the leader of the pack for sure. As much as I do have bad thoughts about him after he pulls an episode, I would never poison or shoot him. I was just blowing off some steam last night from frustration.

And on that note, I'll blow off some more steam about my neighbors!!

-They never spay or neuter. They have had female after female that has had litter after litter. One particular litter was born during cold weather and the mother died. They just left the puppies to die in the cold. I took three pups home with me that survived and tried to keep them alive. They did not make it.
They have a female that just dropped another litter three weeks ago. I mean she dropped them all over the place. I was late to work that morning trying to help them round them up.

-They have hunting dogs that I feel sorry for. These dogs are in poor condition. A few have gotten out and came into my yard and I have fed them because they looked like they were starving to death.
And there is no excuse for that because we have friends that keep immaculate pens for their hunting dogs with fresh water and plenty of food.

Want to know what really bothers me? THEY LIVE IN A NICE BRICK HOME, DRIVE NICE VEHICLES, A CAMPER, A HARLEY DAVIDSON, GOOD JOBS AND ARE SUCH IDIOTS WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR ANIMALS. If you can pay to go camping, you can pay to have your dogs spayed or neutered. It just goes to show you that in every social class there are sorry dog owners.

Okay, I'm done venting.

REPORT THEM TO THE HUMANE SOCIETY ASAP!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
I love dogs, I do, but I despise my neighbors. I posted on here before about the neighbor's golden retrievers attacking and killing my chihuahua back in May. We have had no real serious issues until they got another GR that is younger than the other two. That dog is the dog from "H".

Not only has this particular been part of the clan that killed my little Theodore, he has attacked the neighbor's dog recently, caught me off guard in my own yard and growled at me, but late this evening ran up in my yard while we were outside and tried to attack my JRT. I hit him with something and he ran off. The neighbor called and told me that nothing better happen to her dog. Oblivious to that fact that her dog has real issues, she had the nerve to talk smack to me. Warning after warning has been issued to her about her dogs and she continues to let them run wild. I am afraid of this dog biting a child and my concerns fall on deaf ears with her.

My biggest issue her is that they are my neighbors and also my husband's family but after the death of my dog, I really want them to kiss off! I have never seen such irresponsible dog owners in my life. I have never been around such an aggressive dog in my life. My pitbull was an angel and never harmed anyone and this GR is killing and attacking small animals and getting away with it.

Any advice? I have called animal patrol but they keep locking their dogs up when they see them coming. It's not financially possible to fence off all 8 acres where I live. We do have some fencing in the back yard but I also feel that my dog should have the freedom to be with her masters on her own front porch without being attacked.

Thanks!
Wow! What a horrible situation to be in, I am so sorry! My husband and I have had some of the same issues, well, nowhere near as bad, but similar. We own 3 American Pit Bull Terriers, all of which are very friendly dogs. We have a Male named Brooklyn who LOVES people, especially children, but is somewhat dog aggressive, we have a female named Destiny who loves people and gets along very well with other dogs, and then we have another female named Jayda who also loves people and who loves dogs as well. Our dogs really are great dogs, we have worked very hard making sure they have all been very well trained, socialized and cared for. Anyway, to get to my story... We use to live across the street from a couple who owned some kind of bully breed or bully breed mix (she looked like she was maybe one of the 3 "pit bull" breeds mixed with a larger breed like an American Bulldog, or something like that gorgeous dog though) and 2 Lab/Shepherd mixes. The bully breed dog always seemed nice enough, we never saw it get aggressive at all, but then again, we didn't see these people or their dogs much anyway. The 2 Lab mixes on the other hand were very aggressive! One day when my husband, Serg, was walking up our driveway coming home from a walk with Brooklyn (our male APBT) one of those crazy Lab mixes ran across the street into our yard and attacked Brooklyn! Brooklyn was on a leash, as he always is when he's outside and not in a fenced in area, and this other dog wasn't on a leash, as usual! Serg was trying to break the dogs up and yelling for the neighbor, who by the way was standing in his front yard just watching all of this happen, to come get his dog, but for whatever reason, the neighbor didn't seem to care at all. So, after realizing he couldn't break the dogs up by himself, our neighbor wasn't going to help him and Brooklyn was getting hurt because he was on a leash and getting pulled back, Serg decided he needed to at least let Brooklyn defend himself. As soon as Brooklyn started to fight this dog back the neighbor started screaming at Serg to get our dog and he finally came and got his crazy dog! When all was said and done Brooklyn just had a few scratches here and there and Serg didn't get hurt, so we were happy about that. The thing that pissed us off the most was the fact that the neighbor just didn't care that his dog ran into our yard and attacked our dog! I don't think I have ever met a dog owner that was as irresponsible as these people! So yeah, we have had to deal with crazy dogs and their unbelievable owners as well. Like I said, our situation was no where near as bad as yours, but I kind of know what that's like. As far as what you should do about all of this, I would call the police and/or animal services every single time something happened. Even the smallest things. I'm sure they won't rush out and do something about these dogs right away, but at least you can start to get all of this stuff on record. And because these people will change the way they do things as soon as animal services comes around, I would take pictures and video of these dogs every time I saw them doing something wrong. You could even try to record a conversation with the dogs owners to try to get them to admit to something on tape (obviously I would hide the fact that I was recording the conversation ).
Quote:
My pitbull was an angel and never harmed anyone and this GR is killing and attacking small animals and getting away with it.
Again, we own 3 APBTs, a male and 2 females. I cannot stand how people will automatically assume that our dogs are these vicious, man-eating monsters the second they see them, but then when a dog of another breed is aggressive it's not a big deal. The most aggressive dogs I have ever been around were all Labs and Lab/mixes, well, and 1 Chow. I was attacked by a Lab, my younger brother was attacked by a Lab, my neighbors when I was growing up had a crazy Lab that attacked 5 people before it was put to sleep, and then those 2 Lab/Shepherd mixes I was talking about, one of which attacked Brooklyn, as I already said. It makes me sick to see how many people hate "pit bulls", yet know nothing about them! Most people don't even know that "pit bull" is not a breed of dog, it's a term used to group 3 breeds. But anyway, that is a whole different conversation.. lol.. If I get into all of that I'll go on and on forever!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
I am an animal lover all the way but if someones dog attacks my animal or charges me or my family, it won't get off my property alive period.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
A word of caution...dogs can and will jump fences when they want to! I go outside with my chihuahuas and JRT/Chi mix whenever they are in the yard, period, and that way if someone's loose dog attempts to come in I can scare it off and make sure my babies are safe. It's awful how irresponsible people can be...don't trust that they will do the "right" thing, take precautions so you can protect your animal family. I agree you should write EVERYTHING down, take pix and video and keep calling animal patrol, the Humane society, and anyone else you can think of...if this new GR is as aggressive and viscious as you indicate, it will only get worse without some proper training, and it sounds like these people don't really have its best interest at heart. I don't condone harming ANY living thing, (especially animals) but if some dog killed one of my babies and no one did anything about it, I would be so angry I'd probably beat the you-know-what out of the owners, family or not! Hubby needs to grow a backbone and stand up to these negligent pet owners regardless of their bloodlines and health issues!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs