Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,367,381 times

Advertisements

I had a dog years ago that did not like the water. He would tolerate a bath, but to take him to the ocean to go swimming...no way. Why? Because he had never seen the ocean until he was like 4 yrs old. He didn't know what to think of it, other than it was not for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
I had one Retreiver/Lab mixed female (Shasta) I took fishing with me when she was just 10 weeks old. I wore my hip waders and waded about 10 to 15 feet from shore into a small river to get clear of the brush on the bank. I was expecting the puppy to stay on shore and check out the new smells, but instead she plunged into the river and swam toward me. It wasn't a fast current, maybe 5 to 10 miles an hour, but it was fast enough and deep enough that she had to swim continually just to stay near me.

Naturally, I kept a very close eye on her to make sure she didn't get into trouble, but after about a minute she decided she had enough and paddled back to shore. I was very impressed by her courage and stamina at such a young age.

A dog's attitude toward water is only partly genetic, it is also determined by their personality and life experience. A dog that has had a traumatic experience involving water may be reluctant to venture near water in the future. Or a dog that has never experienced water other than puddles and bathes, may not know what to make of a pool, lake, pond, or river and be hesitant.

Be patient and encouraging. Make a game about getting wet. If your dog sees you enjoying the water, they are more likely to set aside any apprehensions they may have.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,780,325 times
Default Mine doesn't like it either

My lab doesn't like water either. The other lab I had loved it. The hose, sprinkler, pond, puddle...it didn't matter as long as it was water. My current boy will get in the tub by himself to take a bath but you can still tell he doesn't really like it. I've had him since he was only 5 weeks old so I know it's not from a bad experience. This last summer my grandsons were in the back yard with a baby pool and the sprinkler. The lab stayed on the porch the whole time.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 744 times
I have three goldens and one will get into the pool but only once a day but not in the winter. The other one just watches him while she wines, barkes, and some strange sound in the middle. I've been doing things for them for the past six summers. I live in Phoenix so I worry about her over heating. My other dog loves the pool but hates sprinklers, puddles, and any thing elts that has to do with water ecxept the water boul (if he could he would swim in that too!!) So how do I get the other two to swim like Dusty does? (Dusty earlear this month made Lealo have puppies!!!) So now I want the puppies to see there mommy swimming so when they get oldor they will.

Last edited by NRWL1999; 11-18-2010 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: i needed a wow factor for it

Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRWL1999 View Post
I have three goldens and one will get into the pool but only once a day but not in the winter. The other one just watches him while she wines, barkes, and some strange sound in the middle. I've been doing things for them for the past six summers. I live in Phoenix so I worry about her over heating. My other dog loves the pool but hates sprinklers, puddles, and any thing elts that has to do with water ecxept the water boul (if he could he would swim in that too!!) So how do I get the other two to swim like Dusty does? (Dusty earlear this month made Lealo have puppies!!!) So now I want the puppies to see there mommy swimming so when they get oldor they will.
Is it safe to assume that your goldens love to play fetch? One of the methods I used to train my golden to fetch ducks/geese in a lake or pond after I shot them was to tie a day-glow colored tennis ball to fishing line and cast it about 10 feet from the shore. First, play fetch on the shore with the tennis ball, then when they are anticipating your next throw, toss it into the water. Not too far from shore at first, gradually throw it out further and further. You will have to be the judge on just how far out you should toss it, based upon their enthusiasm. This game should help them get over any water inhibitions.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 582 times
i have an australian shephard puppy that does not like to get wet. Hates baths and is next to impossible to go "potty" outside when its raining. I live in Florida and summers are Hot! Is there any hope in training him to accept water and to "go" outside on rainy days?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
When our labs were about one year old hubby went in the river with them.

After a few minutes they LOVED it.!!

"Go swimming" is one o f the phases that still gets their attention.

As far as baths...they just know once a month is part of life.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
I don't know if this will help you, but a dog I had that was extra stubborn about not going out in the rain would do it if I took her out in front instead of the back where she usually went. I guess she liked leaving her scent marker where other dogs walked by enough that she'd deal with the rain. As far as the baths go, it just takes time until, like Driller said, they know it's just something they've got to do.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I don't know if this will help you, but a dog I had that was extra stubborn about not going out in the rain would do it if I took her out in front instead of the back where she usually went. I guess she liked leaving her scent marker where other dogs walked by enough that she'd deal with the rain. As far as the baths go, it just takes time until, like Driller said, they know it's just something they've got to do.
My lab won't go out in the rain unless we go with him. He'll ask to go out, you open the door, he sees the rain and just stands there. If you grab your jacket and go out, he'll go out too. He loves water, creeks, streams, rivers, lakes. But he hates rain, and in his mind we're in this together or it's not happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs