Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,558,792 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned quote .[/quote]

......... I am more on the side of not buying all the latest behaviorist stuff and still use corrections for noncompliance on a hard headed dog........but ascribing such complex and human thought to a dog of "getting even" doesn't really represent all those who believe there is a place for some of Cesar Milan's techniques and well directed/timed corrections [for misbehavior that is, not for training]. If I really thought my dog was capable of plotting out revenge, I would probably take him out for a cup of coffee so we could sit down and talk it out.................[oh my dogs are not on my bed either but it is because I don't want dog hair and dirt in my bed and I know my dog will not understand the difference between jumping in my bed when he is clean vs. when he is all muddy]

Dogs are very much in the here and now.

That is why punishing a dog for something it did previously makes no sense. Example dog runs off, owner calls dog to them, dog comes owner punishes dog for running off.....what did dog learn from all this? "I get punished when I come when called"

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-29-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,130 times
I just adopted a dog that was being fostered that came from an owner that abandoned her left her in a cage for days so I'm aware that she has issues. I have several questions... when I leave for to take out the garbage or run to the store she finds a place to pee after I had just let her out? I'm thinking separation anxiety is the answer to that but how do I get her to realize that she is here for good. The other question I have is she always seems hungry. I have never met a dog that can eat constantly. Every time I turn around she thinks it's time to eat, I can't even open the pantry where her food is without her going crazy! I need some help! I don't want to have to get rid of her because of her history but I'm to a point with the peeing that I'm going crazy!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,801,634 times
You know, the same damned thing happened to us when we moved in! Problem is, it wasn't the dog, it was the wife...

Old 10-08-2010, 08:04 AM

119 posts, read 468,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margsxo View Post
I just adopted a dog that was being fostered that came from an owner that abandoned her left her in a cage for days so I'm aware that she has issues. I have several questions... when I leave for to take out the garbage or run to the store she finds a place to pee after I had just let her out? I'm thinking separation anxiety is the answer to that but how do I get her to realize that she is here for good. The other question I have is she always seems hungry. I have never met a dog that can eat constantly. Every time I turn around she thinks it's time to eat, I can't even open the pantry where her food is without her going crazy! I need some help! I don't want to have to get rid of her because of her history but I'm to a point with the peeing that I'm going crazy!

I know how frustrating this can be but give it some time. We found a little Sheltie that had been abadoned and I have know idea what her previous life was but she was not potty trained. She would pee even after I had let her out but I kept up the positive reinforcement and when I caught her in the act I would just say no in a firm voice and then take her outside. It took a while then she quit peeing but would still poo after she ate so I started taking her out right after she ate and she hasnt had an accident is about a month so I know it is hard but just be patient. Now if I could just get her over of being scared of everyone and everything she would almost be perfect. Rescue dogs take patience but are worth it in the end. Hang in there you are doing a great thing!!

Old 10-10-2010, 03:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Seriously, we've had Willie, a rescue with separation anxiety, for just over a year. This dog has no other behavioral issues whatsoever, other than freaking out when he's home alone, but it's only very recently that we could leave and not always come home to pee. We crate him, and he would even pee in his crate due to anxiety...he is always walked vigorously and given time to pee prior to crating, but it really made no difference. I take data, and it shows that in the last 35 times he's been crated, he's peed 14% of the time. This is drastically down...up until about a month ago, it was 90-100% of the time, no matter if he was crated for an 8-hour work day, or for 20 minutes while we ran to the store. It was impossible to catch him in the act, as he would only do it when left alone. Never was there an accident when we were home, even if we went overlong without a walk (like in last winter's ice storms). For us, the drastic improvement in anxiety issues came when we started a course of clomipramine for anxiety in conjunction with positive reinforcement training. We had always done positive reinforcement, but it wasn't so much intentional obedience training...now that we go to weekly obedience class, and do daily training sessions here at home in between classes, the structure seems to have really helped. He's not showing nearly the anxiety now that he was. We were even able to discontinue the clomipramine, as the training started to "take."

But patience is definitely key...we seriously spent a year of cleaning up a peed-in crate/surrounding floor every single time we left the house, no matter for how long, before things started to get better.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,913 times
My dog does it when he is mad at me...Trying to be the alpha dog... Always my side of the bed. I know between my husband and i that I am the alpha. However he is my baby. He rarely does it. But it's always the same spot on my side by my pillows. Look for patterns. It will help you determine if it is behavourial or medical. Usually he does this when I am gone. Return home then leave again.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,873 times
This is not to harm or disagree with all you animal lovers, and there a place in my heart for animals. However, being a child behavior therapist, every week i have a group with nine to ten children, all of the low social economic factors very poverish, these children all have the same or similiar diagnosis behaviors problems, and most on medications, their stressor are related to well what you would determined to be a poor pack leader, so that allow me to beleived that the world has finally came to what the bible call unaturnal affections, especially when i made a home visit to this home for a schedule family session and there this mom lay on her sofer all cuddle up with her new pit bull puppy, asked where the children are, 'IN THE BACK ROOM SOMEWHERE" get the picture?

Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
We had a plastic lemon tree in the corner of our hallway, once Sam smelled that tree, and lifted his leg on that tree...and he just kept doing it. I threw away the fake tree, no more problems.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 11,125 times
Default I think my dog is mad at me

She is really my neighbor's dog. She was trained to use a "puppy pad" and did so for most of her first 1 1/2 years. No one really took her out for walks very often so she did not get used to doing her 'business' outside - she did it inside on the puppy pad.

Then I started walking her and she could go outside (or inside ln the pad if she was stuck). The family member who owned her had moved away and left her behind with the rest of the family. Around that time she stopped pooping on the pad and started doing it under the owner's bed. She was very droopy and sad and refused to eat. I tried to cheer the dog up by giving her some extra attention, including a daily walk in the afternoon (which she loves!). She has become very attached to me. It is as if she transferred her affection from her original owner to me. I walk her and play with her almost every day. She will usually refuse to eat her food until I come over and urge her to eat.

Now the owner has a baby. The dog is jealous of the baby when it comes to visit but continued her bathroom habits as before. Over the past 3 weeks she has started to pee all over the house - even when she is standing right next to her "puppy pad". She continues to poop mostly under the bed and pee under the bed or all over the house. She has not used the pad for those 3 weeks. It seems deliberate. How can we cure this? The pee is very 'oily' and it is ruining the wood floors.. Please HELP!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
I agree with the poster who said urine shouldn't be "oily." I should have noticed that. Vet!
If the dog is spilling sugar (having diabetes) it could make her urine sort of thicker. When my diabetic dog's insulin was insufficient, she peed a lot more and it seemed thicker, plus one of my other shameless mutts licked it up. (Yes, dogs can be gross!)
But "oily" talk to a vet, get a specimen if you can (I put an old plastic ice cube tray under my girl to get a specimen).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs