Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 10:16 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

I read on the internet that you're supposed to have your dog's teeth professionally cleaned once a year but that seems risky in my opinion. I'm always afraid they might not wake up. With our last dog, we brought him to get his teeth cleaned once when he was 7 and he lived to be almost 18. Not sure if the teeth cleaning helped him live that long but his teeth did decay by the time he was ready to pass. Our current dog is 8 and I think he might need to get his teeth professionally cleaned. I'm scared he might not wake up but I hear that's more risky in older dogs. We tried brushing his teeth but it's still very stinky, like garbage. I'll probably have to force myself to take him in to the vet and I'll have to brush his teeth everyday after that. I don't think it's realistic to take him in every year for a teeth cleaning. Wish there was a way to get around having to take him in at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 05:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I read on the internet that...
And then there are the dogs who NEVER get the teeth cleaned.
Probably 10X as many in the latter category.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:02 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And then there are the dogs who NEVER get the teeth cleaned.
Probably 10X as many in the latter category.
I'm trying to figure out the best thing for him. He's my brother's dog so it's ultimately up to him but if I don't say anything, he's not going to do anything.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:58 AM

8 posts, read 7,075 times
My cat got gingivitis so I did not want that happening to my dog and do brush his teeth for about 30 seconds on each side.
A dog's mouth contains a lot of bacteria so you better wear gloves and change the brush every three months.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:19 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I read on the internet that you're supposed to have your dog's teeth professionally cleaned once a year but that seems risky in my opinion. I'm always afraid they might not wake up. With our last dog, we brought him to get his teeth cleaned once when he was 7 and he lived to be almost 18. Not sure if the teeth cleaning helped him live that long but his teeth did decay by the time he was ready to pass. Our current dog is 8 and I think he might need to get his teeth professionally cleaned. I'm scared he might not wake up but I hear that's more risky in older dogs. We tried brushing his teeth but it's still very stinky, like garbage. I'll probably have to force myself to take him in to the vet and I'll have to brush his teeth everyday after that. I don't think it's realistic to take him in every year for a teeth cleaning. Wish there was a way to get around having to take him in at all.
IME it depends on the dog. Just like humans, some dogs are very prone to dental decay and others are not. Obviously diet plays a role in how healthy teeth stay over time, but it isn't the only factor. I've had dogs with great teeth who didn't need invasive dental cleanings until they were older and dogs who started losing teeth at a young age.

Those of us who had dogs before preventive veterinary dental care was a thing can remember not brushing their teeth at home or taking them in for formal cleanings at all. Again, some of those dogs never developed tooth problems and others ended up with a foul-smelling painful mouth full of rotting teeth. Growing up, watched a family Scottish terrier suffer much too long from bad teeth. She even had a nickname: "Brown Breath McFoul". My father clutched the family purse strings tightly and wouldn't take a dog to a vet until it was literally dying. Then, too late to do much which reinforced his opinion that vets were nothing more than thieves in white coats. The dog in question might have had a longer pain-free life if he'd cared about more than money.

Stinky breath is a definite sign that something's wrong. Just treating foul breath on it own isn't going to do much. You have to get to the root of the problem. The dog may not show any signs it has a painful mouth until it prevents them from eating. That's too late IMHO and also translates into much bigger vet bills. Don't forget that bacteria from tooth decay can travel systemically and cause other health problems such as heart disease.

Back to how often a formal cleaning is suggested...again, the individual dog may affect that. My last dog who was very healthy in general had terrible teeth. We speculated it might have been due to a garbage diet as a pup when her teeth were forming. She was a product of an abusive, no-name backyard breeder in cattle country who dumped her at a kill shelter at 18 months old. She was two when I adopted her and her teeth were already bad. A dental cleaning every 6 months barely stayed ahead of it even though her diet improved and I brushed her teeth at home (she didn't cooperate probably because her mouth was sensitive and she was sick and tired of anyone messing with it). I was religious about proper chews, food, using dental rinses and at least rubbing enzymatic paste on her teeth with a finger if she wouldn't tolerate the brush. After several years of multiple dentals (and better protective products applied during the cleanings and better home care products) we got ahead of it. Still, she was lucky to go a year without needing something done. Over the nine years I had her she probably lost 12 teeth to decay.

Of course any procedure requiring anesthesia has a risk. No escaping it. Your vet should always do bloodwork and a general health evaluation before planning a dental cleaning. If there's some other health condition present that might increase the risk from anesthesia they are more likely to spot it.

I'd at least get this dog's teeth examined as part of a routine physical. If there's gum disease or a rotting tooth causing the bad breath at least you'll know and can make a more informed decision. The last thing I'd want is to ignore a health problem that could be making my dog miserable. Just because he's a stoic doesn't mean he should suffer in silence.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-16-2021 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-17-2021, 07:14 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
It really depends on the chemistry in each dog's mouth.

I've had dogs prone to tarter, bad breath and tooth problems, and I've had some who went their whole lives without ever getting a cleaning.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:00 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
My last GSD never had her teeth cleaned. She ate kibble (no wet foods) and dentasticks. Her teeth at 13 looked almost as good as they did at 2. Vet always commented on how great her teeth were. Every dog is different!

Old 02-18-2021, 06:04 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I would not have the dog's teeth cleaned yearly on a schedule. Dog teeth get cleaned when they are dirty and not before.

Some dogs don't ever need their teeth cleaned. Pensive is five years old and her teeth are sparkling white. And veering wildly off topic, they are really truly white. Dog teeth are generally an ivory color when they are clean, but her teeth look like they are made out of plastic, they are so white. They actually look a bit odd.

Pensive is white and orange and has no black gene at all. There is no black coloring on her anywhere and I'm guessing that affects the color of her teeth. Or maybe it is is another oddity of a very ancient breed.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:05 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Dog teeth do need dental work when they get dirty because the bacteria from a filthy mouth is known to damage the heart.

Pay attention to those teeth.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:01 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Our dog has misaligned teeth (so they don't self clean when chewing on toys, bones, etc.) and gingivitis. He has a dental done annually and usually requires some extractions as well.

Yes, there is always risk associated with sedation but there's also a risk with decaying teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs