Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,117 times

Advertisements

A friend sent this to me - happened in Danville, OH from a vet.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Raisins and Grapes Harmful to Dogs

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 12:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,595 times
raisins, grapes, onions, of course chocolate are all toxic to dogs. along with certain plants like pointsettas

Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,935,715 times
I'm not saying this is OK.

The chocolate thing... our frenchie happened to eat a half a bag of M&M's (half pound) and we rushed him to the vets. The vet walked in and asked a few questions. Half way through, he smirked and said to us that the danger is low. The M&M's were made in the US. It's the other chocolates from Europe and Asia that we have to worry about. Then I realized in a A-HAH moment. Different pasturization process. He let us go and said beware of his stools. It can be messy. Our frenchie was perfectly fine. No side affects. Still eats like a frenchie!
I find out from my sister, after I told her of our mishap, that her husband occassionaly gives their rotty-mix Hershey kisses as a reward treat for years. And she's 13 yrs. old.

There are lists on the Internet of what you can and can not give your dog.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,874 times
think there was a recent post on this.

it is my understanding that anything in the amounts that we eat can be toxic to dogs.
There stomaches aren't as big as ours. =) my parents eat grapes on the vineyard and haven't had a problem yet.
Cody puts them in his mouth but he won't eat them ...he's weird about textures.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
This grape thing always puzzled me, because we gave the occasional grape to our shepherd/husky when I was a kid growing up, and he lived to a ripe old age.

Also, a neighbor's dog grabbed a bag of Oreos off the kitchen counter while the family was asleep, and scarfed them all down, but I figure there probably wasn't a lot of real chocolate in those cookies.

Years ago, our mastiff Rosie got into my son's Halloween candy (he'd left it on his bed, all categorized)and was barfing all night--it was an ugly scene but she was okay in the morning.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
think there was a recent post on this.

it is my understanding that anything in the amounts that we eat can be toxic to dogs.
There stomaches aren't as big as ours. =) my parents eat grapes on the vineyard and haven't had a problem yet.
Cody puts them in his mouth but he won't eat them ...he's weird about textures.
hahaha! I meant my parents dogs eat grapes ahahah! how air headed of me!

And "there" really should be spelled "their" ...I blame it on the time of day ...sorry.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,117 times
I know I've given my dog some grapes and chocolate.. not much..but ya never know. I guess dogs systems can be just as screwy as humans and I wasn't aware that grapes/raisins were in the category of toxic. It's one of those things that if you dog is acting odd.. think what you gave them or what they did last..

Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Thanks janecj for posting that, it is good to know. It never occurred to me to give my dogs raisins or grapes, now I will make certain that I don't. I already knew chocolate was not good for dogs, I didn't know it was only the Asian and Europe varieties. Just to be on the safe side, I don't think I will try any chocolate.

I did have one weird dog who really liked hot peppers. I gave her a slice of day-old pizza with jalapeño peppers figuring that she wouldn't eat the peppers. I was wrong. She picked off the pepper first and ate them. Then she jumped up on the couch and began rubbing her lips on the cushions. At first I thought it was a fluke, that she didn't know what she was eating until it was too late. So I tried a little experiment. I put some pepperoni in one hand, and a fresh raw jalapeño pepper in my other hand, and offered both to the dog at the same time. She sniffed both, and to my surprise ate the jalapeño pepper first! She was the only dog I've owned in my life that actually liked the burn of spicy food on her huge dog lips.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
She picked off the pepper first and ate them. Then she jumped up on the couch and began rubbing her lips on the cushions.
That was a good laugh!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,040 times
Its the dark chocolate that is the worst or the coca bean or shells they use for mulch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs