Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:02 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,739,045 times

Advertisements

1800PetMeds.com

I am debating upon what I should use for Flea prevention. Our predominantly indoor dog (except for 2 mile walks/day) uses Frontline Plus. I was about to order from an online website and saw K9 Advantix was preferred by Veterinarians (according to 800petmeds).

Frontline Plus stops development but does not repel Fleas. The opposite is true for K9. The Prices are comparable.

I have read some bad side effects from users through Amazon.com which I do place some degree of weight (one bad side effect is enough for even one family to suffer through - We never had issues with Frontline Plus).

I also looked into the oral version Comfortis. Any experiences?

What is the consensus here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 06:44 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
Frontline Plus had always worked really well but then when I took the gang in for checkups, she noticed a sizable lump in between the shoulder blades of two of my dogs. It didn't appear to be a bite, and it seemed odd that two of them would have the lump in the same area! I posited that maybe it was from the Frontline. She wanted to biopsy the lumps, etc. and I told her that I would stop using Frontline and see if that made a difference before resorting to biopsies and such.

Yep, the lumps went away after I stopped Frontline. I switched to K-9 Advantix which I didn't find to work nearly as well on ticks. (We have a big problem with ticks here in Texas.) Any of them worked fine with fleas but ticks are especially difficult. So, now I'm using Preventix collars and Biospot drops. That may seem drastic but it's working and the dogs haven't had any problems or lumps.

I'm not familiar with the oral medication you mentioned. I used Revolution in the past and it was OK but, again, it didn't work on ticks.

(Are you ordering from 1-800-Pet Meds??? You might want to shop around, as I've found they are far more expensive than other websites and catalogues. Drs. Foster and Smith is great and I recently ordered generic Heartgard from petshed.com. I know other folks have their favorite websites, too.)

Old 04-20-2008, 07:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
I just bought something from Walmart (not meant to be a high-jack ) made by sergeanst that am going to try as usually use Frontline plus but getting so costly with 7 dogs. Nature's Guardian Natural Flea and Tick med.
Says Kills and Repels Fleas,Ticks,and Mosquitoes with Natural ingredients.

Anyone used this? Figured worth a try and if works alot cheaper as paid think was like 10.00 for 3 tubes.
Has peppermint oil 3%,cinnamon oil 4.5%,lemon grass oil 4.5%,clove oil 5%,thyme oil 5%.
Other ingredients Vanillin,Isopropyl Myristate.
Safe for use around children and Pets.
Spice scented.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:24 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I just bought something from Walmart (not meant to be a high-jack ) made by sergeanst that am going to try as usually use Frontline plus but getting so costly with 7 dogs. Nature's Guardian Natural Flea and Tick med.
Says Kills and Repels Fleas,Ticks,and Mosquitoes with Natural ingredients.

Anyone used this? Figured worth a try and if works alot cheaper as paid think was like 10.00 for 3 tubes.
Has peppermint oil 3%,cinnamon oil 4.5%,lemon grass oil 4.5%,clove oil 5%,thyme oil 5%.
Other ingredients Vanillin,Isopropyl Myristate.
Safe for use around children and Pets.
Spice scented.
I've seen that and wondered about it. PLEASE let us know how it works for you as I would definitely be interested in using a less toxic method for my gang!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 PM

Will do not til beginning of month but I be good test as train in woods with large tick infestation area. Went on search without dogs other day and in 2 1/2 hours had 14 wood ticks and 3 bear ticks on me.
Frontline says nothing about Mosquitoes either where as this does.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:54 PM

Tried this tonight smell is ok a bit strong but, not to overpowering.
Noticed dogs do not try to rub it off like the frontline makes them do.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 PM

347 posts, read 934,334 times
The fleas are starting to develop resistance to both of them now.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,739,045 times
I went to Petco yesterday and I saw that there were 'cheaper alternatives' like Biospot but it didn't mention that they were 'waterproof'.

Is that why the price is nearly four times greater?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
I asked about Comfortis yesterday while at the Vets, since I hadn't seen it before. She said it is oral med and does not kill ticks, but it will kill fleas within 20 minutes after taking it. Last for a month
Per their website..
The most common adverse reaction recorded during clinical trials was vomiting. Other adverse reactions were decreased appetite, lethargy, redness of the skin, hyperactivity and excessive salivation

I am trying the Brewer's yeast and garlic to see how that works. I am just leery of oral meds, since they already take the heartworm preventative

Old 05-01-2008, 12:04 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,911 times
I have heard HORRIBLE things about Comfortis...the woman who runs a local natural pet food supply store has forwarded info about it, which I'll post when I get home and can access my personal email. In the meantime, don't buy it...wait!!

~PudelPie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs