Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:15 PM

389 posts, read 3,540,252 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with what was said about Beneful...it's complete junk food. If you switch to something like Evo, be careful, you have to cut way back on the amount fed because it is a very rich, high protein diet...that's straight from the horses mouth, they were at our clinic a while back and we asked why so many of our own pets were gaining weight on their foods and they said you have to cut the amount by alot.

Also, having experienced a grandparent with a dog, are you sure she is not feeding the dog people food on the side? We had that experience, and in one summer, our older guy probably gained about 10 pounds because he was being fed his food plus pretty much everything she ate. Just a thought.

And of course, exercise is a biggie.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 06:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,675,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I have to agree with what was said about Beneful...it's complete junk food. If you switch to something like Evo, be careful, you have to cut way back on the amount fed because it is a very rich, high protein diet...that's straight from the horses mouth, they were at our clinic a while back and we asked why so many of our own pets were gaining weight on their foods and they said you have to cut the amount by alot.

Also, having experienced a grandparent with a dog, are you sure she is not feeding the dog people food on the side? We had that experience, and in one summer, our older guy probably gained about 10 pounds because he was being fed his food plus pretty much everything she ate. Just a thought.

Good luck.
She isn't getting any human food. My grandmother is only 68 and very health savvy. She is also very concerned about her dogs obesity. The Beneful was actually my recommendation. I guess it was bad advice.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:00 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,283,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post

Good luck.

Yikes, yes what Turtle said!!! If you try EVO, the amount will almost seem like none... I think 1/8 a cup daily?

Remember, when following the feeding guidelines, you want to feed what she should weigh and not what she weighs ow.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:56 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,712,745 times
We had a lab with weight problems and after much research we decided to put him on Solid Gold Holistic blend. He lost his 20 punds over time and looks great. His coat is shiny and healthy. Vet always remarks on his condition. This seems to be a very palatable food, and he likes it (we add meat to it for the protein) so we've been really happy with it. He has bad hips so can't exercise a lot, but is keeping in good shape with this.

Last edited by swbtoo; 04-21-2008 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: word

Old 04-21-2008, 01:03 PM

389 posts, read 3,540,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
She isn't getting any human food. My grandmother is only 68 and very health savvy. She is also very concerned about her dogs obesity. The Beneful was actually my recommendation. I guess it was bad advice.
I am glad that people food isn't the problem. I just had to mention it because we went through that. My husband's grandmother would go to her home for the summers and take our older guy with her and we would have pre-made meals portioned out and frozen so she could just thaw them and heat them up...we went back up to make more for her when she should have had a few days worth left to find out that she had run out long ago and someone had been bringing her food...we were stumped until we saw the dog. That was the end of that and they came home and she was no longer to feed him ANYTHING! So, anyways, I am glad that's not the case. If there is no underlying health condition, it seems to come down to exercise and regardless of what kind of food is being fed, if the dog isn't exercising enough to burn the calories, it is being over fed. The food needs to be cut back a bit, if the dog still doesn't lose ANY weight, something is going on. Weight loss is definitely a slow going process, but by cutting back there should be some slight change.

Good luck

Also, if you are thinking of changing diet, there have been some really great and informative posts on here.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,914,677 times
I've had great results with Canidae Platinum in helping to slenderize obese dogs.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,283,832 times
I'd also suggest she feed him maybe early in the morning rather than at night so that he has all day to burn calories. Dogs are notorious for sleeping 20 hours a day, but it's a sure bet after he eats at night he'll be down for the count until morning, with zero activity to burn off the fat grams (sort of like us!). Feeding before the more active times of day and increasing his exercise will help.

There's always the ever-popular (with me) raw diet, which utilizes primarily protein-based foods, and some fruits and veggies that have been whirled in the food processor, a little yogurt, etc. There's tons on this forum about the raw or BARF diet. No fillers, just purely good stuff, and no waste. NO TREATS other than maybe a very thin slice of apple, carrot, whatever. Most treats truly are junk! Bear in mind - with raw, every bit is utilized. It is probably more difficult to make the mental shift when switching to a premium food or raw to cut back on portions. It just doesn't look like much food in the bowl and your brain says "poor doggy". I have Rottweilers - they get about 1/2 - 3/4 of a chicken back depending on their size and maybe 3/4 C veggie glop twice a day (and I need to cut back, they're getting chunky again). These are very active dogs that weigh well over 100 lbs. each, so what you would put in the bowl for a poodle would look very tiny. Still, as long as they get the nutrition they need, it's quality over quantity.

I agree with the other posters...this dog needs exercise in the worst way. Slowly but surely you can build up tolerance, but the dog's daily routine needs to be kicked into at least second gear. More activity, more protein, less fillers and Fido should go down to a more normal weight with time.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:06 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'd also suggest she feed him maybe early in the morning rather than at night so that he has all day to burn calories. Dogs are notorious for sleeping 20 hours a day, but it's a sure bet after he eats at night he'll be down for the count until morning, with zero activity to burn off the fat grams (sort of like us!). Feeding before the more active times of day and increasing his exercise will help.

...NO TREATS other than maybe a very thin slice of apple, carrot, whatever...I agree with the other posters...this dog needs exercise in the worst way. Slowly but surely you can build up tolerance, but the dog's daily routine needs to be kicked into at least second gear. More activity, more protein, less fillers and Fido should go down to a more normal weight with time.
Absolutey true! My dog was overweight, albeit by only three pounds (a lot for a small dog). The vet suggested a high quality food (and what's a "diet food" for a dog?) in increasingly lower amounts. And, DAILY EXERCISE.

A small dog <20 lbs or so, will probably take at least two to three months to lose 2 pounds. The vet says this is the only way - slowly and consistently. But the number one issue is CONSISTENT exercise! Which btw, is not putting the dog in the yard by itself. A dog will not run laps, unless someone is doing that with him! If the dog is not losing weight, it's because it's being fed too much, AND it's very sedentary (sp).

Kind of like people diets, not matter what you eat (or don't eat), if you don't exercise CONSISTENTLY, you will not lose weight. As has been said, this plan will work, and it will not be an overnight cure. Sorry, I, too, wish
there were quick fixes, but it ain't happening

Old 04-22-2008, 10:56 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,675,786 times
I forgot to mention one treat that my grandmother does give her, Joint Therapy Treats. I think these have something like glucosamine (i think) in them. They look and smell like regular treats so I'm assuming they are also fattening. My grandmother swears that the dogs joints ache because of her weight (16lbs).

A question about the beans and vegetables. How likely are these foods to cause diarrhea if she hasn't had them before? I'm assuming she should only eat 3 or 4 beans as a snack and that's it?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:08 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,283,832 times
Yep, just a couple...and not the canned green beans packed in pork fat!

Trust me - doggy will act like it is starving. It is not It just takes a while for the system to get used to less food/less of a packed belly - but yes, to answer your question, I would only try a couple of beans at a time until you see what the repercussions are! Too much of anything can give them diarrhea.

I am sure that's true about the bones aching from being overweight - just like us yet again!

Please be sure and do some research before diving into the raw diet. There are some foods dogs simply should not have like tomatoes, grapes, onions, etc. But squash, zucchini, green beans, cooked pumpkin, beets, spinach, kale, turnip and mustard greens, carrots...stuff like that is great for them.

BTW - the dog will probably turn up it's nose at a green bean for a treat - tell your grandmother to hang tight and not give in to the pitiful eyes (even though it is SO hard!). My dogs can turn into children from Oliver Twist if they even smell a Milk Bone, which is probably sawdust or something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs