Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I've posted before about my barking machine. While I think he is amazing he does have a few quirks.

Hes not bored ( I can promise that) he barks at things moving like bikes, rollerbladers, skaters, motorcycles and people he likes.
I don't mind a few barks ...thats ok but my gosh I need a EASY BUTTON to stop it.

To spank him would be a game as we slap his sides when we play and he loves it
To scold him would be to vocal ..I might as well start barking along w/ him...
To teach him to bark and then be quiet would be a mess as in would involve treats and he would do this : BARK BARK BARK ....go see mom for treat .....BARK BARK BARK ....another treat please ...etc.
So this is what I'm doing ...if it is his obnoxious bark because I have a beautiful voice bark I'm telling him to stop in a low tone and if he doesn't I am locking him in another room(time out I guess).
....so my question is Anyone have success w/ this method or have any other methods. I expect this to be a long journey but I have 6 months before the baby comes and I wanna have stop on command so we can prevent dog barking baby crying craziness in the house.

Cody is to smart for his own good. If I could pin why he barks I would but it seems every 5 minutes is a new day to him!

I can tell when its a obnoxious bark compared to a doggie playing or guard bark.

maybe someone has a brilliant idea!

...ohhh and sounds and water won't work as water is fun and sounds would make him bark! .....what a silly doggie I have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,579 times
First off I wouldn't hit my dog. The dog sees something coming his way, he barks and the something goes away. His way of thinking is my barking makes it go away.

I taught my dog to not bark when I say quiet, when he is barking I say quiet the min he stops I treat. After awhile he will relate quiet or whatever word you want to use as a good thing. Now I say quiet I don't always treat but I do praise. He knows what the word means and he relates it to a good thing.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
First off I wouldn't hit my dog. The dog sees something coming his way, he barks and the something goes away. His way of thinking is my barking makes it go away.

I taught my dog to not bark when I say quiet, when he is barking I say quiet the min he stops I treat. After awhile he will relate quiet or whatever word you want to use as a good thing. Now I say quiet I don't always treat but I do praise. He knows what the word means and he relates it to a good thing.
we don't hit(spank) the dog ..I was just clarify it wasn't an option. No slapping his sides when we play is a total game and positive. ..its not hard its like wrestling.

Thanks for the idea.
I have tried that but I will try again ...can't hurt. ...last time we did a food reward for good behavior he learned to go pounce on the cat and then to come to me for a treat ...bleh

Old 04-15-2008, 05:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Default Time outs

Time outs might work. My dogs do not bark alot at home but when we would visit my partnts they would join Henry who was a huge Collie malumute mix that loved to look out the window and bark at everything. Henry died last year ..very sad.

Citronell Bark collars worked but did not extinguish the problem thou if they did not have one on just saying " do you want your collar? " would usually quite it down. I found what would also work was putting them in the bathroom for a time out. To get them to come I made it sound like a fun place. In a high voice I would say " hey lets go to the Party room lets party" and lead them into the bathroom and then close the door and give them a time out. It did not take long for them to learn that when they barked and I said" Lets Party" it meant get in the bathroom. It would be pretty funny as even if it was only one barking the others would go in the bathroom with that one and it would be quite and I no longer even had to get up to close the door to the room!

What also came out of it is my dogs seem to see that bathroom as a safe place and when my brother comes over when I visit and brings the bulldog puppies that my dogs do not want to be around my dogs run into the bathroom and Jazz has even closed the door a couple times so the Bulldog beasts can not come in! The Bulldog puppies are like a couple linebackers so my dogs being elderly do not like body slams so do not want to be around the them.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Training your dog to bark on command and then to stop on command does work, but it takes consistency and time.

The time out method also works well, as DashDog illustrates. The key is to ignore the behavior you don't want, and reinforce the behavior you do want. I've used time outs for all types of unacceptable behavior with good results.

Good luck.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Time outs might work. My dogs do not bark alot at home but when we would visit my partnts they would join Henry who was a huge Collie malumute mix that loved to look out the window and bark at everything. Henry died last year ..very sad.

Citronell Bark collars worked but did not extinguish the problem thou if they did not have one on just saying " do you want your collar? " would usually quite it down. I found what would also work was putting them in the bathroom for a time out. To get them to come I made it sound like a fun place. In a high voice I would say " hey lets go to the Party room lets party" and lead them into the bathroom and then close the door and give them a time out. It did not take long for them to learn that when they barked and I said" Lets Party" it meant get in the bathroom. It would be pretty funny as even if it was only one barking the others would go in the bathroom with that one and it would be quite and I no longer even had to get up to close the door to the room!

What also came out of it is my dogs seem to see that bathroom as a safe place and when my brother comes over when I visit and brings the bulldog puppies that my dogs do not want to be around my dogs run into the bathroom and Jazz has even closed the door a couple times so the Bulldog beasts can not come in! The Bulldog puppies are like a couple linebackers so my dogs being elderly do not like body slams so do not want to be around the them.
you are funny dash ...as are your dogs!
I will keep doing a time out and give it time. It 8 years we should have it down

Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
My GSD doesn't bark that much. It seems to me that my GSD barks to either let me know that someone is approaching our house or ask another dog that is walking pass by to play. If it is a warning bark, all I have to do is to say "I know" and she would stop. If she barks to get another dog’s attention, I use the same method as Dashdog and tell her to go home (her home=crate). She would run into her crate and wait for a treat. She was trained on “home” command. This is the only command that works 100% and this is the only command we are practicing all the time. If I walk her somewhere and tell her to go home, she would pull me toward our home no matter how far away we are.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
My GSD doesn't bark that much. It seems to me that my GSD barks to either let me know that someone is approaching our house or ask another dog that is walking pass by to play. If it is a warning bark, all I have to do is to say "I know" and she would stop. If she barks to get another dog’s attention, I use the same method as Dashdog and tell her to go home (her home=crate). She would run into her crate and wait for a treat. She was trained on “home” command. This is the only command that works 100% and this is the only command we are practicing all the time. If I walk her somewhere and tell her to go home, she would pull me toward our home no matter how far away we are.
Thanks for the info I'm gonna keep trying.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:39 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
My dog was marked as "excessively vocal" when we got her. When she started to bark in the house, we squirted her in the face with a squirt bottle and said quiet. Now, she'll bark if there is someone suspicious, she needs to go out, etc, but she doesn't bark for no reason. If we say quiet and literally opens her mouth and shuts it like "I really wanna say this but I won't." She's really smart and it worked on the first try! We also do say "it's OK" if she is barking to alert us about something and then she'll be quiet as well.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:51 PM

183 posts, read 1,134,256 times
Ya.... my border collie mix is a barking machine. We have tried a lot of different things, and he's better than he was as a puppy, but if he really thinks there is something outside that he needs to warn and protect us from, he's gonna bark, regardless. Putting him in his crate for a short cool down helps, but sometimes he barks for a few minutes then, too. He's a little stubborn...
He can't help it, he thinks it's his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs