Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM

255 posts, read 168,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yeah no sorry you are just flat wrong. We can agree to disagree and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Maybe you should develop a puppy chastity belt or something?
I don't need to. I'm not a backyard breeder and I am responsible enough to manage my unaltered dogs without contributing to the unwanted dog population. If I couldn't, or the day comes that I can't, I'll be responsible and neuter/spay my dogs. No doubt if I did develop such a puppy chastity belt, those who need it most still would not use it. And those that would, don't really need it.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:52 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Are you proclaiming I’m a back door breeder cause someone else doesn’t have control of their animal?

All the while mine are on my property?

Is that what you’re really saying?

Old 10-02-2018, 07:56 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
You Cant control a dog on 10 acres & You Proved you cant control him at 20 FEET! You are Not a Responsible Breeder. Your Fences also Prove if she can get in He can get out! Wonder how many other Mix Breeds hes sired....

Old 10-02-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Are you proclaiming I’m a back door breeder cause someone else doesn’t have control of their animal?

All the while mine are on my property?

Is that what you’re really saying?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:52 PM

Well let the attacks continue. I welcome this response from folks with ‘fur babies’ and ‘child dogs’ .

A ridiculous lot to proclaim I’m a backyard breeder when I have no financial gain. All because an irresponsible owner let their female wander a mountain while in heat.

Please proceed.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
I'm with you, Threerun. There are a lot of people on CD who don't know how to share their opinions without being poopy-heads. My guess is their circle of friends is small or they have short shelf lives.

Your dog was under your control in your yard. The end. The irresponsible party here are the owners of the in-heat female.

I really don't understand the argument. If my dog was going potty on my private property and was attacked by a neighbors dog or cat, it would be my fault and I should pay my neighbors for any injuries their pet suffered at the hands of my dog defending itself? I think not. I'll see them on Judge Judy first.
You’re being much to kind in your assessment, lol.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 PM

Near as I can tell this would be a representation of the offspring. A Husky-GSP mix

Not a bad looking pup! Now if it can find birds, retrieve (on land and water) and be trained- I'd be all for a long haired pointer for Montana climates!

But I'm sure it would be a fine dog for some young family.....

Old 10-03-2018, 10:32 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Well what You did was Nothing You stood there & Watched them TIE/MATE What YOU Should have done was Call Him Inside!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:44 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
When I lived in WV we had a huge problem with rabies. I owned acreage and was raising 2 kids that loved to play in the woods and streams. That's why I rescued a Blue Tick coon hound and brought her home. She was loyal and a great defender. I was in the lower part of the property when a fox bolted out from the woods at 2-3pm while I was practicing with my bow. If Old Blue hadn't rolled that fox I would not have time to shoot it, and it was coming for me.
Foxes are naturally diurnal, just being out during the day, nor charing a threat, is remotely evidence of a fox being rabid.

Quote:
That's why I owned Blue- she was a protector, not just a pet. She had a job, and we loved her like a part of the family. She had her rabies shots, was quarantined at home for 2 weeks and all was well. The fox was picked up that day (a Sunday) and tested positive for rabies. I used that moment as a teaching example with my kids why we should NEVER go out in the woods without Blue.
Not remotely the same thing to leave your dog outside as to use a dog for protection for a child.

Quote:
Also- I do have a containment fence, and no I'm simply not responsible for keeping other animals 'out'. We have lots of wildlife, and I rather enjoy them frequenting my property. Plus it would cost a BLOODY fortune to erect a fence around 10 acres (or even 1/2 of that) designed to keep any dog in let alone a GSP. Plus- I've never seen any fence keep a racoon, bobcat, coyotes or bears out. If they want in- they will get in. Ask my neighbor who has had cougars and coyotes in his cattle pens.
You certainly aren't legally responsible, but morally responsible will vary from person to person as evidenced here. Not for nothing, but there is no reason to let a dog roam 10 acres at all hours of the night. Dogs are animals who are perfectly content being denned up for the night. Doing so protects your pet and does not cost a "bloody fortune". Bottom line you choose to let your dog roam instead of bringing them in or providing them with a smaller night time pen. Your choice, but again, not necessarily the moral high ground at all.

Quote:
My dogs are hunting dogs- they encounter porcupines, coyotes and God forbid rattlesnakes, cougars and bears- you name it. That's an occupational hazard folks like us deal with in the country we live in.
My aunt and uncle have a farm in the northeast kingdom of Vermont. The have sheep, they have guard dogs, they are still responsible dog owners who don't let their unfixed male dogs mount any ***** in heat. Claiming the "country" is just as much of an excuse as any heard here.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well what You did was Nothing You stood there & Watched them TIE/MATE What YOU Should have done was Call Him Inside!
Can't rep you again but You can tell he's actually quite proud of it and thinks it's funny. No reputable and ethical breeder would let this happen, and if they did, they would be too horrified by their negligence to post publicly about it. We actually had a woman here, who is possibly one of the most irresponsible owners I've ever met in many regards, that let her dog breed at the dog park! I first met her at the dog park when she was asking me if I'd encountered this person and her dog that she described. I had not and asked why she was looking for her. She responded that the dogs bred while they were at the dog park and were "stuck together a long time so I know it took" and she felt entitled to half of the litter since her dog was the father!!! Other people later said she had been asking everyone trying to find this woman so she could have half the puppies! She was ultimately more or less runoff from the dog park because she was constantly allowing her intact male Jack Russell to mount other dogs (dominance, they were spayed/neutered). I rarely went to the dog park and only went into the small dog side which was usually empty. My dog was intact at that time and the first thing I asked, if there were other dogs there, before ever unhooking his leash was "are there any females that are not spayed"? A couple times, someone responded yes, but they weren't in heat. I did not even go in but turned around and left. I have always been very responsible with my unaltered dogs and I take NO chance of being party to an unwanted litter because of my negligence. If you cannot 100% guarantee your dog will not be responsible for an "oops litter", you have no business owning an intact dog - NO EXCUSES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs