Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:00 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times

Advertisements

Kind of venting, but hoping for some advice too. We just moved into a new house - settled on New Year's Eve, moved stuff throughout the week and weekend, and officially started living here this past Friday.

We have a 5 month old yellow lab puppy who was doing great with housebreaking at our old house. His only bad habit was terrorizing our cats as puppies will do.

He got diarrhea Friday morning, so we fed him small meals boiled chicken and white rice and slowly started mixing his food back in once his bowel movements started to return to normal.

Well, this morning I fed him and before I could even turn around, he got diarrhea on the floor. A little while later he peed on the floor - twice!! I chalked up the diarrhea to he couldn't help it, but I can't explain the peeing.

We have a bell by the door for him to hit w/his nose when he has to go out. He used it all the time at the old house, but hasn't used it once here.

I'm hoping that he's just anxious, confused, etc. by the move and he'll get back to normal. I hope sooner than later. Until then, it's going to be frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 03:12 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times
Moving for any dog or puppy is very stressful and strange. You have to remember also that dog training and enrichment of your dog's life is a life long commitment. That being said, you may need to what is often called, "go back to kindergarden" meaning you will need to reintroduce certain behaviors to your puppy in the new house like you just got the dog for the first time. Animals that young sometimes don't understand that they are expected to keep habits in every place they go. So, a new home might be confusing. Sometimes, the stress of a move makes them forget. Worse, now the poor guy is having physical issues and having diarehea which the puppy might not understand what's going on and as a result is eliminating where he isn't supposed to be. This is also a mindset for you to go "back to kindergarden" and review the housebreaking process all over again. For a few weeks, you may have to immerse yourself with this dog and revolve your schedule around the potty times before things improve. Don't worry though, puppies will catch on quick! Start reteaching the puppy where the bell is and where potty is expected to happen. Reward him lots when he does things right! Do not punish him for his diarehea problems. He will become confused at the message that you are telling him. focus on the alternative behaviors. Show him the outdoor boundaries a couple of times and practice good manners in teh house. Don't leave him any freedom unsupervised. have the whole household involved to help the process along. Though, I"m not there to do a full evaluation on your situation. It's the best advice I think you can get off this forum without finding a local trainer in your area, which I highly recommend during this processs.

Good luck,and be patient with you and the puppy. It's a learning process. But, with your efforts to work on this, it will not last forever!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:33 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times
We're in puppy classes with a local AKC affiliated training club. I've had dogs forever, and have gone through a lot of obediance classes and shows with many of them, but I guess I've never been the primary caretaker of a puppy.

I guess it's been a stressful week for all of us. I'm trying my best to be patient... I just needed to vent some frustration. Thanks for the advice - I definitely think we'll be going back to the basics for a little while.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:37 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
We're in puppy classes with a local AKC affiliated training club. I've had dogs forever, and have gone through a lot of obediance classes and shows with many of them, but I guess I've never been the primary caretaker of a puppy.

I guess it's been a stressful week for all of us. I'm trying my best to be patient... I just needed to vent some frustration. Thanks for the advice - I definitely think we'll be going back to the basics for a little while.
Great, even better that you understand with your training background. Yep, it is super tough to move and deal with everything else. You both will be just fine. Feel free to vent all you need.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Crate train your puppy. He will like the continuity of having his own room.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:49 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Stress of move and adjusting like another said retrain to new house rules and hopefully all comes back to him real soon.
Think of pup and how his stress is, just as that is of a toddler when things suddenly change,they get scared forget things, and need reminders.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
What's the water source? Has it changed between the former home and this one? If you were not on a well before and are now that could explain things. Just another angle to look at

Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Don't just assume it is the move doing this. Your puppy could possibly be sick or have eaten something it should not have. If it continues more than another day or two you should take him to a vet. If he becomes lethargic, throws up or has blood in his stool don't wait to take him to the vet.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:06 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Don't just assume it is the move doing this. Your puppy could possibly be sick or have eaten something it should not have. If it continues more than another day or two you should take him to a vet. If he becomes lethargic, throws up or has blood in his stool don't wait to take him to the vet.
Good advice!
You said you are in puppy class with a training club -- make sure he hasn't picked up something from another puppy! (Bacteria, or parasite maybe).

Old 01-08-2008, 08:39 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
he's confused!
ours did this(minus the loose stools ...thank God!) and it took about 4 months to get him cozy again.
You might have to reteach the bell thing, he might not be generalizing well.

keep things as routine as possible and it will work out.

...maybe get a vet check just to be safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs