Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,588,189 times

Advertisements

For those of you with rescue dogs, have you ever had one that came knowing funny tricks?

Jackie, my rescue rat terrier/jack russell mix, randomly does the funniest things, and I can tell by her expectation of a reward or treat, that she's performing something that someone taught her, or at least encouraged her to do, and rewarded her for doing.

Her funniest thing that she does is what I call the snake belly dance. She will get down flat on her belly and then drag herself around the room. It just kills me! Makes me laugh until my sides hurt.

So, I learned about a contest a new gourmet dog food company is giving called the Roscars (doggie version of the Oscars), where they will be giving away a bunch of food and treats.

So, today, after a long walk at the river, we came home and I took a ton of videos trying to get her to do the snake belly dance on video. Laughed my sides sore, but finally got a sort-of snake belly dance out of her.

Here's her audition tape for the contest:

https://vimeo.com/86867785

I'm not sure we'll even get any kind of runner up for this pathetic little video, but it is good for a chuckle.

Can any of you other rescue dog owners share some other funny tricks and things your dogs have done, that someone else obviously taught them to do, or encouraged them to do?

I've been trying to get her to just do a normal "down" without going into her comedy routine, which she's getting good at. But, then I realized I missed the comedy routine, so we'll have to work on a command for the snake belly dance, that is separate from the "down" command.

Anyway, she's such a joy. Please share some of your funny stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,371,233 times
Snake belly dance is not a trick! That's the way the scratch their belly! Don't encourage it Beyond the dog doing it to scratch an itch or you will have another problem RUG BURN!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:10 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,379,329 times
What a cutie, btw she looks all Rat Terrier to me, down to the docked tail.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,094,312 times
Jackie (Wacky Jackie... LOL! hilarious!) is adorable and you are SUCH a love with her. If it were up to me, I'd give you the award -- even if she didn't really do her snake belly dance, I love how much you clearly adore each other.

Artie came to me doing high-five and looking cute. He was really good at being cute.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 AM

857 posts, read 2,220,208 times
What a cute girl.

It is easy to tell she adores you and how much happiness she brings you.

Thanks for adopting your girl.

I was at the shelter the other day ,they had rows and rows of dogs( kill shelter after only 5 days)
Broke my heart.

Still missing the dog we lost.
Have 2 dogs now but will adopt in a few months time (if not sooner)

Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,792,095 times
One of my rescues came knowing a lot of tricks, but these were things that he taught himself. Prior to becoming a rescue, he had been abandoned in a yard with two other dogs. We had two dogs when we got him. For the first couple of months that we had him, on trash day he would jump the fence, get into the trash and bring it back into the yard to feed our other two dogs. He came with a lot of "interesting" habits that he picked up from being self reliant.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:44 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,392,420 times
I love Wacky Jackie! She obviously trust you to lay on her back and expose the vulnerable belly to you. That is 100% trust. My big (110 lb.) rescue Yellow Lab has a strange "habit". She's afraid to swim but when she gets near deep water, she'll go under for a long time and bring back rocks about 1/2 the size of a brick, lay them on the shore and go get another. She'll do this for as long as she can, sometimes bringing up over 20 rocks. If the water's not too deep, she'll feel for them with her feet, then stick her head under to retrieve them.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Snake belly dance is not a trick! That's the way the scratch their belly! Don't encourage it Beyond the dog doing it to scratch an itch or you will have another problem RUG BURN!
LOL! Well, that is something to consider. I wouldn't want her to hurt herself. But, someone clearly encouraged her to do this, because when I first got her, and would get out the treats to work on her "sit," she would immediately start dragging herself around the room. Too hilarious!

So, it was probably natural behavior that someone encouraged, is what I think. She has no skin or flea issues.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
What a cutie, btw she looks all Rat Terrier to me, down to the docked tail.
You know, I think so too! But, everywhere I go, people say she's a Jack Russell. Even the trainer who gave a seminar last week that I went to - said she was a Jack Russell!

I've done some research and they're just recently a recognized breed. Perhaps that's the deal.

I do want to say that the shelter said she was rat terrier, and that's what I was looking for.

Do any of you remember my threads about which dog is better - poodle or rat terrier? Well I found my rattie. She's so perfect for me. Though she DOES shed - buckets lol! Her only down side.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Jackie (Wacky Jackie... LOL! hilarious!) is adorable and you are SUCH a love with her. If it were up to me, I'd give you the award -- even if she didn't really do her snake belly dance, I love how much you clearly adore each other.

Artie came to me doing high-five and looking cute. He was really good at being cute.
Ahhhhh. It must be so confusing for them having a new owner who doesn't know their commands lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs