Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 100,568 times

Advertisements

I need some advice from those who got this surgery for their dogs. Did it work? I heard that in some cases it doesn't work. I was told it costs about $800 for the surgery. How long does it usually take the dog to be able to walk and run normal as much as it wants to? What are the chances of the luxating patella taking place on the same leg after the surgery? Is it true that the surgery will cause arthritis and I will have to give it medicine for the rest of its life? Will the dog have to totally avoid walking during the whole time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Seems to me you need to ask the Vet these questions!

Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Hopefully, I can keep this short. My dog had a luxating patella. My vet told me to stop exercising her and to to see if it would get better on its own; it didn't. He also gave her a steroid shot and some anti-inflammatory medicine. He told me that, depending on the severity, the surgery could cost $1,000-$3,000. I did my own research and found that most vets aren't up to date on the research for this problem. For minor cases, the dog should be exercised. Not exercising the dog is the worst thing you can do. I started walking my dog more and letting her run around and the problem went away on its own. The point of this is to strengthen the muscles around the knee so that they hold it in place. My dog hasn't limped in about a year and runs and jumps with no problems.

Did I mention that I very much dislike my vet? I would have switched a long time ago, but I've managed to take care of my dog's problems on my own.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 100,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Hopefully, I can keep this short. My dog had a luxating patella. My vet told me to stop exercising her and to to see if it would get better on its own; it didn't. He also gave her a steroid shot and some anti-inflammatory medicine. He told me that, depending on the severity, the surgery could cost $1,000-$3,000. I did my own research and found that most vets aren't up to date on the research for this problem. For minor cases, the dog should be exercised. Not exercising the dog is the worst thing you can do. I started walking my dog more and letting her run around and the problem went away on its own. The point of this is to strengthen the muscles around the knee so that they hold it in place. My dog hasn't limped in about a year and runs and jumps with no problems.

Did I mention that I very much dislike my vet? I would have switched a long time ago, but I've managed to take care of my dog's problems on my own.
I haven't walked the dog for 2 days now and the reason is to see if the problem will go away but it doesn't, I gave it something called deramax the veterinarian gave it but it's not working so it looks like surgery is the only way

Old 11-20-2013, 04:17 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,389 times
Our dog had 2 ACL repairs. When the first leg goes the 2nd one usually goes in 6mths.

Our ortho Vet charged us $2500,plus before that we had blood work and X-rays done with regular Vet.
Approx 6mths later, the 2nd leg went/repeat performance of above.

He has done great, it was 4years ago so can't remember all the details.
I think the first 3weeks were the roughest, trying to keep him down.
Our dog hates crates, so this wasn't an option for us.
2nd time around, we managed much more calmly.
Use a towel under your dog to support him/her getting up.

Do not do do a TPL0 surgery, far too invasive (you can Google info)

If you don't get the surgery done, your dog will get arthritis.

Our dog is going on 13 years old and acts like a puppy, he doesn't know he is an old man.

Guess the secret is to get an Ortho Vet who knows what he/she is doing and has done a LOT,like the Vet we chose.

Good Luck to your dog.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
My Maltese had the surgery. She was around a year and a half old when she started to favor her hind leg. I think it took about two or three weeks after the surgery, before she would put any weight on her rear leg . It was around the third week the vet told me if she's not using her leg by the end of the week, I would need to straighten her leg by pulling it down, and encourage her walk on it. By week's end she was using her leg on her own. Once her leg healed she was able to walk, run and jump.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times
I'd get a second and maybe a third opinion. What one Vet's says may not be what the other Vet(s) says. It may be he/she likes to hop around carrying his leg like a child hopping.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I'd get a second and maybe a third opinion. What one Vet's says may not be what the other Vet(s) says. It may be he/she likes to hop around carrying his leg like a child hopping.

Are you serious?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Are you serious?
Serious as a heart attack~! If you were diagnosed health-wise, wouldn't you get a second or third opinion to see if Doctor #1 really found what he did and wanted to operate~? I've seen it happen when I worked in a hospital. Then again, I had a similar situation to happen to me medically when something was wrong with me and the lab work and Doc didn't think anything was. So I consulted another Doc and they did the same exact lab work and found my issue and I got treated with medication.

But my reason I said what I did, was my Yorkie when he was young kept hopping around on one leg. The Vet I did have told me he had a luxating patella too, but surgery wasn't necessary at that point. I got a second opinion and he had something different to say, but explained it to me more than Vet #1. I then got a third opinion (which is the Vet I go to now) and they told me nothing is wrong with him at all. And to this day, my Yorkie likes to hop or carry one of his paws when he goes chasing a ball. Like skipping you might say, like a kid.

Anyways, this was both of my situation and may have been totally different for your situation.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 44,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisCrespo View Post
I need some advice from those who got this surgery for their dogs. Did it work? I heard that in some cases it doesn't work. I was told it costs about $800 for the surgery. How long does it usually take the dog to be able to walk and run normal as much as it wants to? What are the chances of the luxating patella taking place on the same leg after the surgery? Is it true that the surgery will cause arthritis and I will have to give it medicine for the rest of its life? Will the dog have to totally avoid walking during the whole time?
It cost me $2037 for one leg. This was in June 2013. If you know where I can get it done for around $800, let me know. My morkie's other hind leg is acting up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs