Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:30 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,715,426 times

Advertisements

For those who have intact males how has it been? I've never experienced the major problems that are supposed to come with intact males.

I'm certainly for spay/neuter for dogs who will not be shown/worked/bred and that sort of thing. I don't see a reason not to do it if you don't need an intact dog. Really it gives you less to worry about and less work.

I guess I've been lucky to an extent. People have said that their male might be depressed or won't eat if a female is in heat. On another forum a dog got out of a crate and through 2 doors and got their female pregnant. I'm just like wow. I know some males have a super urge to breed but I have never experienced it. Sometimes my males act silly around an in season female. Like want to be extra playful and roll around on the floor. What is wrong with my dogs!? LOL They don't want to breed, breed, breed..lol I know its NOT a problem that they don't have a super sex drive and I like it that way. It is just interesting to see that some dogs go nuts.

Vets (some) also make it seem like you absolutely have to neuter to have a nice pet. If you don't neuter you will have an unmanageable hellion. In one sentence they say neutering will make your dog a more happy pet, they will not be aggressive or roam. In another they say neutering won't change the personality or temperament of your pet. LOL. So which is it. Neutering might eliminate some drives or even some problems, but not always. It also won't cure every problem. One said that neutering your dog will make them more affectionate, good thing they didn't tell that to my intact boys. Mine have been just as affectionate either way. They love people/attention.

There is a dog I know that was put to sleep for killing a cat. The vet told the guy if he neutered the dog it would take away his aggression, calm him down and stop him from leaving the yard. The dog was then neutered. He put the dog out to the bathroom, he jumped the fence killed the neighbors cat and was put to sleep. It is his fault for not having better knowledge on prey drive/instincts and for not having the dog better secured, but then again a vet isn't innocent for misleading someone either. Telling someone it is going to change this in their dog is just not right. That is the dogs temperament and traits. Look how many male dogs are not leaving their yards to chase the scent of a female in heat, they are doing just because they like to and have other interest. Some breeds in general are prone to escaping and/or roaming even if they are altered won't change that.

I put the whole neutering and getting a better temperament thing to be an unfounded generalization like chaining a dog makes them mean. It can help some things others it won't. Its not the magic cure to behavioral problems and doesn't mean that if you don't do it your dog will be crazy. I know I've also seen that the most often dog to bite is an intact chained male. People just hear that without analyzing the fact that most irresponsible people don't spay/neuter. Those same pet owners don't put other time and effort into training their dog. Those same irresponsible owners also keep their dogs isolated outside 24/7 with the chain an easy method. Therefore keeping a dog who has no training and most importantly no socialization. The outcome is the same no matter how the dog is kept, but someone has easier access to a dog not in a fence, kennel or home. Does any one know where they get the stats? I know a girl that was bit by a dog (a neutered male in a fenced yard) when they reported the bite they didn't have to state if the dog was neutered or intact so how do they gather data for it? They were asked the breed of dog. Just curious.

If any of my dogs ever showed aggression I would attribute this to them having a temperament problem in general and not having balls. My dogs must be missing so many memos because they have nice lovely, goofy temperaments.

Looking at the many intact and altered dogs which are aggressive or have issues the pattern seems to be the same little to no training, no socialization, poor breeding, improper handling, bad experience for the dog.

I've also heard people who don't plan to breed but work their dogs say that they keep them intact so that they have the drive to work. That seems like a big generalization too. I have seen spayed/neutered females work with just as much attitude and drive as an intact dog. You wouldn't look at the dog and think they are lacking at all. The will to work and please is still there even without the sex drive and other hormones.

I want to hear everyone else stories? The good and the bad. One day I'm bound to be punished and get the worse male ever... What are somethings I might be in for???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,651,062 times
I agree that irresponsible people usually dont spay/neuter. such a shame as there are already too many dogs being put to sleep everyday. why bring more dogs into the world? i just dont get it. it's just as bad as when someone has baby after baby after baby after baby, etc. and they cannot afford to give even ONE child a decent lifestyle. who knows, it is probably just due to ignorance (there are many myths out there about neutering) or poverty or maybe some of these people have only a 9th grade education. maybe they just dont care. it's sad.

Last edited by nicolepsy; 11-20-2007 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: mispell

Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM

ooops sorry! i forgot to answer the real question. i dont know if there is any difference in temperment between neutered and un-neutered because my pup was neutered at a young age (before i figured out his personality i suppose) but as far as i know he is still the same pain in the butt.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,715,426 times
What I don't get is the people who say they DON'T want pups and get mad when they end up with 3 or 4 accidental litters! That is OT though. It just makes no sense. I would think with a 9th grade education they would realize where babies come from.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
What I don't get is the people who say they DON'T want pups and get mad when they end up with 3 or 4 accidental litters! That is OT though. It just makes no sense. I would think with a 9th grade education they would realize where babies come from.
yes but think about a ninth grader. they know where babies come from but still get pregnant themselves! just knowing something doesnt make a person decent or responsible or wise.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,947,586 times
Back to the original question, my boy is un-neutered as his breeder shows him. He is almost three now and acts just like any neutered dog that I have ever had. He is laid back, not aggressive and generally a good kid - oops, I mean dog. So no real problems with being "natural" that I have noticed. The biggest advantage is that he stays lean no matter how much he eats - very good for his long dachshund back.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:58 PM

i love dachsunds!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:27 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,533,348 times
I have both neutered and intact males.Always the who is Alpha and the intact gets that but otherwise they get along. Both work trails neutered one not as good but that from abuse not no nuts. He found what love is and when see's someone breaks trail pet me love me.

They both lift leg and sometimes indoors and get butt kicked then but they say if neuter young not lift leg at all squat like a female. I see no difference otherwise excpet neutered one has gained more weight but both affectionate, and usually well behaved.

Again females in heat both males go nuts as great noses but kennel keeps em in.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM

692 posts, read 3,858,085 times
I've had one male dog that wasn't nuetered. I peronsally didn't see a difference in the behaviour. But for health reason would never have another un neutered/spayed dog.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,947,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i love dachsunds!

Thanks! Me, too! I grew up with big old mutts and was reluctant to get a "little dog". Good thing I didn't - just a short one!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs