Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:18 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,562,021 times

Advertisements

I felt the need to bring up puppy stores today. In this valley, I keep seeing more and more puppy stores. Especially in hispanic areas. Why? Why? Why do they still exist? Why do people still think buying from those stores is healthy and safe??? Do they not know that those puppies/dogs come from? Can't they just look at see that those puppies are taken far too soon from their mothers?

It's just so frustrating to see so many of them still exist and see the shelters overwelmed with animals because of the lack of responsiblitiy and disposable thinking. Sometimes, I want to take a page from the taggers and paint on the windows of the stores; "DO NOT BUY PUPPIES FROM STORES!!! VERY VERY BAD!!!! COME FROM BAD PLACES!!!"

Sigh, just thought I'd vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,650,344 times
It can be fun to go look at the puppies and then you fall in love with one or want to save it from the place and end up buying it.
are all puppies (at the stores) from puppy mills? The one I bought came from a breeder (said the store). Is a breeder really a puppy mill in disguise? What is the difference? Does is have to do with the amount of puppies being bred?
I ask these questions because I don't know. I have heard a million times not to buy from puppy stores (I was thinking that the main reason it was wrong was because then you are basically giving them the o.k. to make more puppies/supply and demand) but like I said sometimes you just go to look and end up coming home with one.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,488,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
I have heard a million times not to buy from puppy stores (I was thinking that the main reason it was wrong was because then you are basically giving them the o.k. to make more puppies/supply and demand) but like I said sometimes you just go to look and end up coming home with one.
That's exactly why you heard it a million times not to do it. If you create the demand (buy the puppy), the supply will be increased (new puppy in the store to replace the one you bought). It's a viscious cycle.

As for whether your puppy really came from a legit breeder or a puppy mill, it's more likely that the pup came from a puppy mill.

Legit breeders usually control their own sales and don't place puppies in pet stores. Backyard breeders/puppy mills will wholesale dogs to a retail outlet.

I feel bad for every dog in those places, but I have to turn away. "Luckily", there is a surplus of dogs to save elsewhere .

Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,233,065 times
Let's face it those stores will tell you anything to get your money. They consider themselves breeders but they are nothing more than puppy mills. What would you have done had they said 'Yes, they are from a puppy mill'. Plus, they charge 3 and 4 times what a person who breeds their own dog charges for a puppy. Those guys get commission on the dogs they sell. Many times pet store pups have more problems because of inter breeding not to mention other disease they pick up at the store.

I love to see the puppies too but hate the thought they are stuck in those horrible boxes all day. I always want to buy them all just to get them out of there.

That is a question.. what happens to the puppies they don't sell? Do they go back to the mill?

Last edited by Keeper; 11-16-2007 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: added

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,744,681 times
Well, the puppies that don't sell are 'reduced in price' for the 'holidays'. There are 'specials' that are run for a 'limited' time. Sounds like a commodity rather than a companion.

Or they 'package' something to include the puppy 'for free'.

You can see my link on "Everything package" for an example. There are 3 Bichons that have been there for a while. One of them is so timid and sickly looking (shivering). Who wants that?

Respectable breeders who care about the breed, will require a neutering/spaying contract, and will take the dog back any time in its lifetime. They also interview you to ensure that you are the appropriate match for the breed (as I noticed when browsing for Coton de Tulear's - $$$$ - $1600 to $3000 for a male).

Old 11-17-2007, 06:56 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,650,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That's exactly why you heard it a million times not to do it. If you create the demand (buy the puppy), the supply will be increased (new puppy in the store to replace the one you bought). It's a viscious cycle.

As for whether your puppy really came from a legit breeder or a puppy mill, it's more likely that the pup came from a puppy mill.

Legit breeders usually control their own sales and don't place puppies in pet stores. Backyard breeders/puppy mills will wholesale dogs to a retail outlet.

I feel bad for every dog in those places, but I have to turn away. "Luckily", there is a surplus of dogs to save elsewhere .
you could be right that my puppy came from a mill or backyard breeder. though the store i bought him from was a teeny tiny store with a very small and limited "inventory" and run/owned by a woman who i talked with at great length and found to be a pretty decent and loving human being. this little pet store has been around for decades i think. she gave me papers that listed my dog's parents names and the breeders name and address. could all be fake/scam i suppose but this store owner seemed very concerned about all the puppies and offered me tons of advice and seemed leary of letting the dog go home with me since he was so tiny and i was a first time dog owner and wanted me to come back with my dog so she could see how he had grown and such. what i am wondering though is what exactly is the difference between a respectable breeder and a backyard breeder. is a backyard breeder the same as a puppy mill just on a smaller scale? of course i think adopting from a shelter is the best way (even better than buying from a respectable breeder) as there are already too many dogs that need homes.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,286,573 times
Even if you were given legitimate papers, it takes nothing for someone to buy a male and female and breed them and then market them to pet stores. A respectable breeder not only will hold the papers to her dam and sire, but also know the lineage of their parents so that there isn't any crossbreeding.

I personally believe backyard breeders are puppy mills on a smaller scale, but that's my personal opinion. Just because you have a male and female who can hook up and procreate does not a breeder make. Unfortunately, back yard breeders don't really see it that way - but have you seen all of the ads in the paper for studs? So you take your female and have it bred to this other dog...how do you know the other dog isn't your dog's cousin? Turns out a weak bloodline.

You will pay more through a reputable code of ethics breeder - but you have insurance for a lifetime that the line was researched and bred under the best of conditions, and most COE breeders stand behind their dog for life. If for any reason you have to return the dog, they will take it back. THAT is the sign of an excellent breeder in my opinion.

Just for the record, not all COE breeders are just breeding show dogs...but given the opportunity to buy an AKC from someone I don't know and a pet quality for twice or three times as much from a COE breeder? I'd go COE all the way.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:20 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,179,030 times
Store puppies from legitimate breeder? That's something i disagree. No self-respecting, good, dedicated, caring breeder will ever pup his/her puppy in the store.
BYB? Yep, that's more likely. If i could, i would ban all the puppy stores, mills, etc. It's totally disgusting. I don't go to our local Pet store that sells puppies, period!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
2 things
one-- chances of getting behavior issues at the pound, are higher.
two --- spanish attitude towards pets is quiet different.
not as intimate not as close. cannt speak for all hispanics that is a big and diverse group.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,286,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
2 things
one-- chances of getting behavior issues at the pound, are higher.
two --- spanish attitude towards pets is quiet different.
not as intimate not as close. cannt speak for all hispanics that is a big and diverse group.
Bunky, I'm not sure I understand your second comment about Hispanic attitude toward pets - maybe you could explain that a little more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs