Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM

768 posts, read 2,102,469 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you've got it under control, that's great.

Weims are beautiful, my sister has one and he is such a gorgeous physical specimen. I hope the improvements at your house continue for your peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM

265 posts, read 1,294,199 times
Default Great Book that Deals with Situation in Part...

I recently read a great book, memoir, called "The Dogs of Dreamland" (the title doesn't really seem in keeping until the last page). Anyway, it's written by a woman who's done tons of training and has basically devoted her life to dogs--at some point she ends up with two Aussie sisters that she adopted as pups, and when they grow older, the attacks begin. What's really interesting is that when she calls in a trainer to work one-on-one, she discovers that the one she assumed was non-dominant, the one being attacked seemingly unprovoked, was in fact the dominant dog. It was pretty eye-opening. I mention this not just because it's a really enjoyable book, but because the message is clearly about looking beyond the obvious and finding solutions for the household/dogs that may not be what you're hoping for...I'm glad it seems like your situation is under control, I just would want to caution you on feeling any false confidence, with the stakes so high.

I too have two females in our household (and one male), and despite the ages--or perhaps because of--there is sometimes a challenge to the status quo in terms of top dog. It's very upsetting on many levels, and the way we've dealt with it is to be clear to "the puppy" (our now almost 3-year-old Pitt) that that behavior is inappropriate and not to be tolerated (through positive reinforcement too, of course). I know it's not that simple. I also know that their challenges only occur when the humans are around--they really are very different dogs when they're alone, just as when only one instead of both of us are around.

I wish you all the best with your situation brussell and hope you find harmony in your household soon. Please keep us all posted. ~PudelPie

Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM

768 posts, read 2,102,469 times
Great post, PudelPie. Now you've got me curious. For what reason was the non-dominant female attacking? Was she trying to raise her own status in the pack? Or was there something else?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 AM

265 posts, read 1,294,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
Great post, PudelPie. Now you've got me curious. For what reason was the non-dominant female attacking? Was she trying to raise her own status in the pack? Or was there something else?
No, it was the non-dominant dog who was attacking, but the behavior of the dominant one, who seemed to hide, be non-aggressive, etc., had led the writer to believe that *she* was the non-dominant dog. Really I highly recommend the book, despite some sad, disturbing moments.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:55 AM

26 posts, read 116,213 times
ya'll are awesome for sharing all of your ideas and well wishes...again, things are going well...i must fill you in on more info so you know where these dogs are coming from:
Pippi-Alpha-was found on Galveston Beach and transported to Dallas Texas through weim rescue. WeimRescueTexas.org...Adopt Today!
she had been hit by a car and her leg was healed back so it did not touch the ground.(it dangled)...the orthopedic surgeon reconstructed her leg and put up the xrays after the fact, and discover that she had 8 puppies inside of her..she was bone skinny so i'm not sure how any of them survived....they did not show up in the first xrays....she delivered all 8 puppies 2 days later after having major, major hip surgery...GOD BLESS weim rescue for taking on ALL expenses. We fostered all 8 puppies and it was a special gift for my family....of course they were all mixed...they were all adopted and pippi was an excellent mom (no alpha tendencies then) but she was also happy to see them go..she was only 1 at the time...

then came emmy(wanting to be boss and does not know how to play well without making scary noises)- she was found in azle texas roaming....with no hair at all...none!!! she had a barbed wire grown into her neck which was wrapped around 2 time-they removed it but you can still see the white hair from the trauma around her neck...she was terribly shy and scared and we had a full work up done on her and all was ok (non contagious mange-they also found a bullet inside of her) she was incredibly sweet and stilll just looks up as us as we walk her...as she has gotten healthier and has her hair we have seen some "odd" behavior...being a counselor i think it is probably Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. We took her to this great all animal hospital in Dallas and she was seen by a psychiatrist (i'm not kidding)....she has terror episodes where she will be a sleep and wake up instantly and grab on to anything near her, usually her bed she is on and grab it and shake it like she would shake an animal she has caught..unfortunatly she was laying on my lap at one time and got a hold of my arm...she did this for about a minute..it was terribly scary and hurt like sh*t...sooo the doctor prescribed doggie Prozac and she has gotten much better but she is now a bit too confident and she is challenging Mama Pippi who does not tolerate her behavior...soooooooooooooooooooooooo that is what we are dealing with....2 terribly neglected and abused dogs who are now living in paradise BUT they are still living with past issues....so we are crating, they are NEVER left alone together and both are givin love and attention...I treat pippi as if she is the Alpha but I let her know that I am the queen with all this being said GOD BLESS all ANIMAL RESCUE GROUPS!!!

hope this helps fill in the gaps...thanks for being so kind and caring about others and their animals...
with peace,
brussell

Old 04-12-2008, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,901 times
Thanks A Lot

Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 PM

295 posts, read 1,214,731 times
brussell,
If you're still reading this topic and still having issues with your Weimies, have their thyroid levels tested. Low thyroid, hypothyroidism, often manifests as dog aggression (and hypothyroidism is also implicated in seizure disorders, which *might* be related to what you termed Emmy's "night terrors"). Dr. Jean Dodds in So CA is the guru & accepts blood draws from all over - go to Animal Blood Bank and Restore Health Cente for info, forms, etc.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:24 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,034,768 times
Wow, Brussell, God bless YOU for adopting the Weims and having such patience with them!!!! You are a wonderful person!!!

WRNT is a GREAT group! I adopted a Weim. from my local animal shelter and when I asked them for some advice, they were so good about providing it, even though I didn't adopt through them. They TRULY care about Weimaraners!

I hope your girls bring you many years of joy and happiness! They are fabulous dogs!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:22 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,180,281 times
This is one of the things most people don't know or realize about female dogs. Sadly even having two spayed females does not seem to lessen this problem. Female dogs usually will have a period that they get along just fine, this could be months or it could be years, and then boom they both start wanting to be the top female and well only one can have that position. This is when they start to fight, and with each fight it gets more and more serious.
Once two females have fought with each other it will happen again and again if you do not separate them, and when they are together you must watch them at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs