Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times

Advertisements

There were 650 females and over 350 puppies (and continuing births)rescued over the last two days from an unregistered Virginia puppy mill. Can you imagine having such a huge number of animals swamping the 4 state area of rescues? They anticipate the dogs being available for adoption as soon as health and age allows.

Dont buy from pet stores or unknown sources (internet). Support your local shelters and rescue groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
Wow . Do you know what breed(s) they were?

Old 11-08-2007, 06:38 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Here's the link to where the dogs are if anyone can help foster. This is in my area and I am willing to help coordinate transport if you need.

Carroll County, VA - Animal Control

Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 AM

I just got off the phone with this this place...they need big time help if anyone can swing it.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,558,613 times
Best Friends is involved with that. Here is some references if you'd like to know more.

story Latest News | Anticipation — and collaboration for a common cause | Best Friends News & Top Stories

Video of the event Thank You for Rescuing Me - A Puppy Mill Story

wish list for puppy millWish List Oct. 31st

Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Best Friends is involved with that. Here is some references if you'd like to know more.

story Latest News | Anticipation — and collaboration for a common cause | Best Friends News & Top Stories

Video of the event Thank You for Rescuing Me - A Puppy Mill Story

wish list for puppy millWish List Oct. 31st
Actually that's the last batch that was rescued, this is much bigger and although I am sure they will help the coordination of the rescues is being handled through Carol County Virginia Animal Control, that is who shut them down - see link below. The pups from this puppy mill will be available through rescue for homes in about two weeks (the ones that are old enough) after spay/nueter and vetting. Some of the rescues that have already picked up have them up on their sites accepting applications, the ones that are picking up this weekend will probably be posted next week sometime. If you are looking for a small breed puppy this is the time to get one.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
I've cross posted on some of the dog forums I'm on...
Never can have to much help, ie FOOD, blankets, toys etc in this kind od massive rescue operation

Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Actually that's the last batch that was rescued, this is much bigger and although I am sure they will help the coordination of the rescues is being handled through Carol County Virginia Animal Control, that is who shut them down - see link below. The pups from this puppy mill will be available through rescue for homes in about two weeks (the ones that are old enough) after spay/nueter and vetting. Some of the rescues that have already picked up have them up on their sites accepting applications, the ones that are picking up this weekend will probably be posted next week sometime. If you are looking for a small breed puppy this is the time to get one.
Whoops, sorry irishmom. I might have gotten excited to share too quickly. There's so many puppy mill situations it hard to keep track. Thanks for letting me know!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Whoops, sorry irishmom. I might have gotten excited to share too quickly. There's so many puppy mill situations it hard to keep track. Thanks for letting me know!
Oh no problem the ones you posted are having a big adopt-a-thon this weekend so it's good to have it out there, I just wanted to clarify which story was which. Like I said this is my area and we pull from these situations so I have been updated on all of them.

I do have an update on the latest one...enough rescues have come forward for ALL the dogs according to Caroline County Animal Control...that is amazing to me. This was probably one of the best organized rescues ever. They are hoping not too many of the dogs have to be euthanized because of poor health because they have spots for all of them.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Oh no problem the ones you posted are having a big adopt-a-thon this weekend so it's good to have it out there, I just wanted to clarify which story was which. Like I said this is my area and we pull from these situations so I have been updated on all of them.

I do have an update on the latest one...enough rescues have come forward for ALL the dogs according to Caroline County Animal Control...that is amazing to me. This was probably one of the best organized rescues ever. They are hoping not too many of the dogs have to be euthanized because of poor health because they have spots for all of them.
Are you serious??? That's wonderful! Oh wow. You know, I think rescues are trying to work together more these days. I'm soo glad to hear they really are being more aggressive and pro-active about getting these guys new homes and getting the public aware of these situations. I know the community out here in Las Vegas had a huge issue with a similiar situation with Lied Animal Shelter. YOu probably heard of the situation on the news when a mas breakout of disease happened and HSUS was asked to come in by Lied themselves to address the event. The truth came out last month though through a free magazine and what really happened.
.::LAS VEGAS WEEKLY::. THE INTERSECTION OF ARTS // ENTERTAINMENT // CULTURE + EVERYTHING ELSE THAT MATTERS ™ : The No-Kill Crisis (broken link)
I attached the link if anyone is interested in what happened. It's a classic case when the community does not pull their own weight in the crisis of overpopulation. Here in the valley, we have way too many puppy stores and it is so concerning to me that people don't realize where these poor things come from.

So, congrads to your facility and staff and the precious little ones! Great job on getting things taken care of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs