Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:42 PM

133 posts, read 534,338 times

Advertisements

I'm moving away from home early next summer into an apartment in Los Angeles or somewhere a bit closer to my current college campus, if the whole LA thing doesn't pan out. I'm not planning on getting a dog until I know for sure that my boyfriend and I will have the money and the time to care for it and give it the attention it deserves (so we may not be getting one for at least a year or two). However, I think I'm going to be needing some four-legged company at some point, and I was just wondering what breeds are good for apartments?

I have always wanted a dalmation, but those, from what I have read, are really really energetic dogs. I would feel absolutely terrible leaving it alone in an apartment when I was at school or work, so I think I'll save myself for one of them until I'm settled in a house somewhere. My neighbor suggested a beagle, but I thought those tended to be noisy. I'm really not one for teeny tiny dogs like yorkies or chihuahuas, so I think a medium sized dog would do the trick. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Your best bet is to see what your landlord will allow. Most that do allow pets have a size, often under 25 pounds. You're correct in realizing that you do not want a Dalmatian or a Beagle for apartment living.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
If you're a college student, do you also work?
What is your budget for bills, supplies and food? Will your parents help?
How much time do you have to walk him or her?
You didn't mention a budget. You can look to breeders or breed specific rescues.
Do you want a pure breed or a mixed breed? I don't know much about 'designer dogs' but I think most come from puppy mills (someone correct me if I am wrong, please).

Stop Puppy Mills

There is a good book called "Paws to Consider" that makes suggestions.

Here is a web site:
Dogs Good For Apartment Life

Some good dogs (medium sized) that are not toys include the following:
Boxer
Havanese
Coton de Tulear (very $$$$$)
Miniature Poodle
Bichon Frise
Miniature Schnauzer
West Highland White Terrier

Stop Puppy Mills | The Big Picture (http://gateway.hsus.org/spm/bigpicture/index.cfm - broken link)

Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Save a life and go to a shelter or rescue group for a dog. I have had all types of dogs from purebred to mutts. I have a beagle/dashund mix who is the sweetest dog I got from a rescue, a wiem from SPCA and a mutt from the animal control.. All sizes and all great dogs.

I know the SPCA in FL would call you if they got in a dog that would meet your requirements.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Your best bet is to see what your landlord will allow. Most that do allow pets have a size, often under 25 pounds. You're correct in realizing that you do not want a Dalmatian or a Beagle for apartment living.
Actually Beagles are great apartment dogs...but puppies in general are not that good in apartments or being left alone all day. I would really look at adopting an adult dog that is already calmed down a bit.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
My friend has a great Staff that is in his apartment with him. If youre going to get something outside a rat dog (size wise) youll have to spend some time walking him. High energy dogs do work well in apts, but as I said, you have to find a way to get rid of the energy.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
If you're a college student, do you also work?
What is your budget for bills, supplies and food? Will your parents help?
How much time do you have to walk him or her?
You didn't mention a budget. You can look to breeders or breed specific rescues.
Do you want a pure breed or a mixed breed? I don't know much about 'designer dogs' but I think most come from puppy mills (someone correct me if I am wrong, please).

Stop Puppy Mills

There is a good book called "Paws to Consider" that makes suggestions.

Here is a web site:
Dogs Good For Apartment Life

Some good dogs (medium sized) that are not toys include the following:
Boxer
Havanese
Coton de Tulear (very $$$$$)
Miniature Poodle
Bichon Frise
Miniature Schnauzer
West Highland White Terrier

Stop Puppy Mills | The Big Picture (http://gateway.hsus.org/spm/bigpicture/index.cfm - broken link)
I would like to add to this list please:
Yorkie
minature grey hound

Old 11-05-2007, 05:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
I would like to add to this list please:
Yorkie
minature grey hound
Definitely. I just didn't include the Yorkie since he's more of a toy size. The Min greyhound seem very attached to their owners (at least on paper) and I forsee separation anxiety.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
I'm moving away from home early next summer into an apartment in Los Angeles or somewhere a bit closer to my current college campus, if the whole LA thing doesn't pan out. I'm not planning on getting a dog until I know for sure that my boyfriend and I will have the money and the time to care for it and give it the attention it deserves (so we may not be getting one for at least a year or two). However, I think I'm going to be needing some four-legged company at some point, and I was just wondering what breeds are good for apartments?

I have always wanted a dalmation, but those, from what I have read, are really really energetic dogs. I would feel absolutely terrible leaving it alone in an apartment when I was at school or work, so I think I'll save myself for one of them until I'm settled in a house somewhere. My neighbor suggested a beagle, but I thought those tended to be noisy. I'm really not one for teeny tiny dogs like yorkies or chihuahuas, so I think a medium sized dog would do the trick. Any suggestions?
I would suggest that you do some research on the breeds that you are interested in and find the breed that is best for you. Every breed is different and not every breed is right for everyone. Most breeds can do just fine in an apartment as long as they get plenty of daily exercise. Also, like cleosmom said, I would suggest that you check and see what breeds you are and are not allowed to have.

I think that most people would assume that working breeds, high energy breeds, medium-large+ breeds, etc, would not do very well in an apartment, but it really all depends on the owner. My husband and I are renting a small duplex right now, and we will be until August. The duplex we live in is smaller than the apartment we lived in before this! lol! It's 3 bedrooms 2 baths, but it's very small. We also have a very small yard that's not fenced in. And we own three American Pit Bull Terriers. Now, APBTs aren't very big dogs, like most people seem to think, but they aren't really small either. The average weight for an APBT is 35-55 pounds and our dogs are, 48, 42 and 38 pounds. APBTs are working dogs, they are terriers, they are a very high energy breed that needs a lot of daily exercise. Our dogs are perfectly happy living where we live right now, they get 2 or 3, 45 to 60 minute walks/ jogs a day, we take them to the beach several times a week at least for a nice long walk, if not to play for a while, we take them to the park whenever we get a chance, we take them with us when we go see friends and family, etc. Because our dogs get plenty of exercise everyday, they pretty much just sleep when they are at home. The fact that we live in a very small duplex with a very small not fenced in yard doesn't matter at all because we make sure our dogs get the exercise they need.

Anyway, like I said, most breeds can do great in an apartment, or other small home, as long as they get the amount of exercise they need everyday. So again, I would suggest that you figure out what breeds you are allowed to have in the apartments and then do some research to figure out which breed is best for you. Have you tried taking a quiz to help you figure out good breeds for you? This is a good quiz, it helped my husband and I find the perfect breed for us... Breed Selector, Dog Search, Puppy Survey, Puppy Test, Test to find the right dog, Breed Quiz (http://www3.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm - broken link) I hope this helps some! Good luck!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
I thought I already replied here. Guess not. I was thinking a greyhound would be a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs