Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM

107 posts, read 339,605 times

Advertisements

I will have to board my puppy in July for 2 weeks because of vacation. I tried to take him with me but the airline said to not risk it since it's an international flight and it might be too dangerous for him. I am soooo worried about this. He will be 7 month. He's a goldendoodle, 45 pounds at 5 months right now. I don't want him to think I am dumping him or anything when we are gone. I am also worried he might developer separation anxiety, etc... Is this a good idea? Will he even remember us??? OMG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,922 times
He'll be fine and of course he'll remember you. You can call and check on him a few times throughout your trip if it will make you feel better.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Have you thought about a pet sitter? The dog can stay in his home and have someone visit several times a day to feed and walk?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,520 times
Would be awesome if you could find a boarding kennel that also offers "daycare", because this way you can bring your pup a few times to stay the day so he learns you'll always come pick him up eventually and that this is a fun, safe place to be. Even if the boarding facility does not have daycare per se, I wonder if they'd board him just for a day to get him comfortable and acclimated before he stays there for a full 2 weeks.

If your dog is generally the happy-go-lucky type (not the anxious, sensitive to change type) this could work out just fine and even be good for him. The quality of the boarding center will make all the difference. It could be a 2 week fun vacation for him or as you alluded to it could be 2 weeks that really set him back in a variety of ways... You know your dog best so it's up to you to find the perfect setup for his needs. If he thrives on attention from and interaction with people, pick a facility with this focus. If he loooooves playing with other canines, choose a place that caters to social dogs. If he'd really do best at home, go with a pet sitter. If you need any assistance researching your local options I'm sure we here in the dog forum would be willing to help you out researching and giving our impressions.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
I am going to echo what k9coach and add, please go and tour ALL facilities you are contemplating using. If you have an actual kennel available rather than a vet clinic, I would go that route. Most vet clinics do not have the play areas... or at least here they don't.

I work for a boarding hotel and we are totally hands on and have play groups. I would be a liar to say all dogs enjoy boarding, there are some that simply do not. Hence the day trial is a great option and we do that with all of our boarders. it is no picnic for the dog or the providers when a dog stresses (mainly because they are on our minds 24/7).

Once you've made your decision, get the facility's email address. You'll be in another country so not only could cost be a factor of a phone call, but timing as well. I email quite a few of our clients when they are abroad.

Also, make certain to know the boarding costs upfront. We are an inclusive kennel with the exception of medications there are no outside fees other than the boarding rate. Some kennels will have a base rate and add on for each time taken out, each play time etc.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 PM

107 posts, read 339,605 times
Thanks for all your replies. I found one good place, charging me around 800 for 16 days. It includes 4 hours of playtime with other dogs every day. The boarding place is also a daycare place and has a vet right next door. It also includes grooming on pick up day. One of the things I liked about this place was that they have real-time cameras installed which I can check online. The reviews online were excellent so I made a visit today.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasengan View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I found one good place, charging me around 800 for 16 days. It includes 4 hours of playtime with other dogs every day. The boarding place is also a daycare place and has a vet right next door. It also includes grooming on pick up day. One of the things I liked about this place was that they have real-time cameras installed which I can check online. The reviews online were excellent so I made a visit today.
What was YOUR impression of the visit? Reviews are helpful, but your view point is more precise If you liked it, check their daycare prices. If it is something you can swing I would suggest doing daycare a few times a week, if your dog is like most, I could almost bet you that he will be wagging his tail within the second week of heading there, if not the first.

Dogs are pack animals, while they love their human pack, there is something that a dog pack can give them that we can't. I liken it to girls/boys night out. You might have a terrific spouse, but girls/boys night has its own meaning

Old 05-25-2013, 01:55 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasengan View Post
I will have to board my puppy in July for 2 weeks because of vacation. I tried to take him with me but the airline said to not risk it since it's an international flight and it might be too dangerous for him. I am soooo worried about this. He will be 7 month. He's a goldendoodle, 45 pounds at 5 months right now. I don't want him to think I am dumping him or anything when we are gone. I am also worried he might developer separation anxiety, etc... Is this a good idea? Will he even remember us??? OMG.
I would recommend dogvacay.com

I am so grateful I came across this company. You can visit the website so I don't have to explain it here. I recommend scheduling meet and greets with the top three hosts you like. I found a great host near my home that only charges $20 per night. My dog has free range of the living room and kitchen. She is allowed on the sofas and gets to watch tv with the host and his dogs. I provide her food, some toys, her blanket and a list of things the host should know about and that's all. It is so much better than a boarding kennel or having a pet sitter visit your home twice a day.

I came across this website when I was looking for a pet sitter to come to my house. I knew my puppy would hate a boarding kennel, so I thought a pet sitter would be better even though most only visit twice a day for 30 minutes each time. I still hated this idea because she would be lonely and still be forced to pee or poop in her living area. I am so happy with dogvacay that I became a host too. I will never board any of my dogs again.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
I love the advice to sign your puppy up for a few days a week of day care at the boarding facility to accustom him to the place and people, and to teach him that even when he's there, you will always be coming back to get him.

I strongly urge you to do that.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Another thought, sometimes the vet techs (at your vet) board dogs in their homes at reasonable prices, you might want to check that our but would visit first, make sure the yard is securely fenced in and not poopy and the dog can't get out the front door. Am sure your pup will be fine, would just make sure he's microchipped and wearing a collar w/ current ID tags. Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs