Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've preached about this because it killed my two girls...Happy died because of Rimdyl and Tara died using Carprofen (generic Rimdyl.)

I agree that it works well for some dogs but you don't know if it doesn't unless your dog dies. Since I don't know how it would work for my boys, I have a standing order at my vets office, NO Rimadyl OR Carprofen! I just can't do it again, nor do I wish it on my enemies...

I guess what bothers me the most is Rimadyl is the first drug most vets reach for, there are othe pain meds available, they even cost less and less deadly side effects.

Here is another case...

7News: Atty: Pfizer settles over dog's death 7NEWS - Animal Law Center: Pfizer settles over Sophie the dog's death, vets gave her Rimadyl and other meds - Local Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Its a dangerous drug, I think it had something to do with the death of one of my dogs, though I gave it just a very short time. No offense to you, but sorry I even saw this thread cuz it brings back terrible memories to the surface. So sorry about your dogs.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
it REALLY did a number on Bailey's stomach.... even though I made SURE she only got it on a full stomach.... never again for her.....

when Dave was recuperating from a broken leg, his vet prescribed a similar anti-inflamatory that I cannot recall the name of off the top of my head..... i was so leary after what Bailey went through, I watched him like a hawk.... but he was fine with it.... thank goodness.....

Old 03-26-2013, 05:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
I have a question about this. If my dogs have taken rimadyl in the past and seemingly done fine on it, should that indicate to me that they will probably never have an adverse reaction to the drug? After I became aware of all of the health issues and deaths caused by rimadyl, I have requested other drugs every time pain management was required, even though my dogs did fine on rimadyl in the past. I guess what I'm asking is have there been dogs that did well on rimadyl and then later when the drug was given again there were major problems? Also, what alternative for pain management do you recommend? Any thoughts on Tramadol? (The only times my dogs have needed pain management has been after surgeries. So far none of them require a long term pain management med. If there is a different pill you recommend for that though I'd be interested to hear about that as well.)

Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
On the other hand I can think of three dogs that I have known personally who were on Rimadyl for a year or three...dogs who, without that or another NSAIDS would perhaps have been put down for unmanageable pain from DJD or arthritis.
A Rottweiler I had was on Rimadyl for over a year. It had a significant beneficial, effect on her arthritis. Routine bloodwork showed no organ compromise.

I am totally not minimizing the potential side effects.
But in the linked story, a: even the headline says "Rimadyl and other meds." So...what other meds? Is this a sensationalised news story that is jumping on Rimadyl? There's not even a mention of WHAT other meds. Perhaps it was a drug interaction. Perhaps it was completely because of a different medication.
The story does not even touch on what caused this dog's death.
Nor whether vet and owner were compliant in getting bloodwork done. This is essential to monitor on any NSAID.
No details, in other words. That article was not useful, even as a data point.

k9coach, one cancer dog of mine was put on Tramadol, he did fine. A previous cancer dog got very wigged out and vocal on it. (Both were Rottweilers with bone cancer.) It is generally well-tolerated but real;ly it boils down to how that particular dog metabolises the medication.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
I give only Tramadol. I've taken it myself so I know that it is well tolerated and effective. I like that fact that it is a people drug. Every vet prescribes Rimadyl but I won't give it. My oldest dog threw up blood on it. At that point a neighbor let me know about the problems. After the research I did I don't give it. All my fosters get Tramadol also for their spay/neuter surgeries. The vets try to talk me into Rimadyl but they aren't the ones to have to worry about and monitor for side effects. I like to give a drug I'm confident in.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Rimadyl is also a people med...it's a coxII inhibitor.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I have a question about this. If my dogs have taken rimadyl in the past and seemingly done fine on it, should that indicate to me that they will probably never have an adverse reaction to the drug? After I became aware of all of the health issues and deaths caused by rimadyl, I have requested other drugs every time pain management was required, even though my dogs did fine on rimadyl in the past. I guess what I'm asking is have there been dogs that did well on rimadyl and then later when the drug was given again there were major problems? Also, what alternative for pain management do you recommend? Any thoughts on Tramadol? (The only times my dogs have needed pain management has been after surgeries. So far none of them require a long term pain management med. If there is a different pill you recommend for that though I'd be interested to hear about that as well.)

K9coach - Rimadyl seems to do a number on seniors and Labradors. It is my understanding that Rimadyl/Carprofen is given for most soft tissue injuries and surgeries. I did not ask my old vet if my girls had, had it in the past such as when I had them spayed, however, since it is what most vets grab for first, it is possible.

I do know that Happy had taken it a couple of years before for a soft tissue surgery she had and she had zero problems. She was probably 10ish. However, when she started having hip issues (about 12ish) that is the medicine that did her in. (I know 10ish is still considered a senior...)

Tara, on the other hand had used it for two ACL surgeries and did just fine, seven and nine years old. Then at 12, she went in for a "sprang shoulder" and was prescribed Carprofen. That was on a Friday...by Sunday, she was showing signs of Rimadyl sickness and I stopped her meds immediately. I called the vet, they prescribed another medication but it was for her symptoms...it did not help. Over the next three weeks, she visited another vet and was put on a bland diet (which she ate at first, then she could not hold it down. When she was still eating, she had the doggy trots so bad, she could barely get out of the door and then she started having accidents in the house (thank God for carpet shampooer's!) Her's hips gave out and I had to assist her. When she could not get up out of her own mess, I new it was time to help her across the bridge, my heart was breaking. I felt so much guilt from not being her advocate, it still hurts.

Diesel, recently had a soft tissue surgery and even though I have a standing order for NO Rimadyl / Carprofen, I still had to remind my vet. We went withTramodal and he did great. No side effects for Diesel! (Yay!)

As for using another anti-inflamatory, I would discuss what is available with your vet. I would ask what are the pros and cons. Your pet can't speak, you can. You are your pets greatest advocate. Don't just "trust" blindly. ASK questions!!! I only wish I had and needed too.

Chiroptera - agreed there were "other meds" and you know from the link as much as I do (other meds - no idea what they were.) However, there must have been enough evidence to show that Pfizer was negligent.

After Tara got sick, I started looking up EVERYTHING on Rimadyl and Carprofen. I found even on Pfizer's website https://www.rimadyl.com/default.aspx at the bottom "Important Safety Information" it lists the side effects, including possible death.

Is this story from 7News "sensationalised news story that is jumping on Rimadyl?" Personally, I don't think enough has been said about what Rimadyl can do. The guy that won the suit is using the money to give back to other pet-parents making them aware of what can happen.

I suppose something that does concern me is that when I am standing in the vets office and they are giving me a medication for my dog (or cat) they explain the pros and cons. I assumed (big mistake) that the vet was there for the betterment of my dogs health.

Had I known the "possible" effects, I would have never given either dog Rimadyl...it would have been my choice. Instead, I blindly took the medicine and gave it to my dogs, causing horrible effects (not every dog has them...) but mine did.

I suppose this story just reminded me of "MY" past mistakes, that I NEVER want to repeat...and like the guy that did the suit, I just want people to be aware of what can happen. I am so glad it does not effect every animal like it did mine.

One more note, I found a website (I'll have to see if I can find it again The Senior Dogs Project ) that explained, if you have blood tests (liver and kidney) done before starting Rimadyl / Carprofen (and the tests are within limits) if something happens (Rimadyl sickness) and then you have the tests re-done (showing problems)...and the animal dies, you will have better case against Pfizer.

This is NOT the first time Pfizer has paid out on a suit for Rimadyl.

Sorry so long, just wanted to address questions and share my experience...

The Senior Dogs Project

Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
It's interesting that you post this now. I participate on a survey site and just yesterday there was a survey about a new advertisement series for Rimadyl, depicting happy dogs running and jumping. I'm sure it's no coincidence that a new ad campaign will be forthcoming just as a lawsuit is settled.

Thanks for the reminder about Rimadyl, my girls are getting older and sometimes when the are hurting its easy to simply trust the vet's prescription and not advocate for them.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Default dog in pain

my dog was in pain and she also was on it and she was it pain.
It did help her and that was my one choice for her pain since it was bad.
She is doing ok and is off it for now. no ill problems at all did she have
to let her enjoy life without pain

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-27-2013 at 12:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs