Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM

7,124 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any personal experience with papillons? I'm most interested in their typical personality and if they have any specific breed health issues I should be aware of.

I think they are charming dogs, but not having known one personally, wanted to hear from you.

If I come across a pappy mix, are some better to consider than others? A few pappy-poodle mixes I've seen look darling but I don't want a dog that needs professional clipping. I do like bathing and brushing dogs, but not the doggy beauty parlor trips.

Thanks for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,798 times
One of my favorite breeds. Smart, smart, smart dogs. When I work with Papillons they often remind me of Border Collies because they are so quick to try and eager to "figure it out". Their grooming needs are actually pretty basic. Maybe not quite as "wash and go" as some breeds, but what I find really cool about their coat is that it looks so flashy / high maintenance but is actually pretty low maintenance in reality.

Hoping oregonwoodsmoke will chime in with some real Papillon expertise. I'm just very fond of the breed.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
I have a Papillon/Cairn mix. Cute as the dickens and a delightful little imp. He's self-cleaning, non-smelly. Very easy coat to care for, no shedding, doesn't really need bathing or grooming (no "doggy" smell). Smart as a whip!! But, since he's got the Cairn side, his "fur" is really coarse hair, whereas full Pappys have really soft fur. Depends on what you want.

Personality wise, he's a velcro-dog -- sticks by my side, on my lap or at my heels... and he's a nut. Makes me laugh all the time!

I don't know if he was bred as a mix or what -- he was from the SPCA.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Oh your mix must be adorable! I've only had one small dog before (a chi-terrier mix) and he was wonderfully smart and cute but had the little dog syndrome of always wanting to challenge other male dogs and only by grace was he never chomped up like a dog biscuit. I don't want another dog that scrappy. I want a sweet pacifist.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Oh your mix must be adorable! I've only had one small dog before (a chi-terrier mix) and he was wonderfully smart and cute but had the little dog syndrome of always wanting to challenge other male dogs and only by grace was he never chomped up like a dog biscuit. I don't want another dog that scrappy. I want a sweet pacifist.
Ha, well if you want a sweet pacifist, I don't know that I'd get another terrier mix! He can be challenging sometimes, and has growled a bit at big dogs, just to show them who's who! But, he's my first-ever dog and I love him to bits. I've had such a nice experience with him, I adopted a full Cairn terrier a year later, as a buddy for him. Makes for a lively household!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Does anyone have any personal experience with papillons? I'm most interested in their typical personality and if they have any specific breed health issues I should be aware of.

I think they are charming dogs, but not having known one personally, wanted to hear from you.

If I come across a pappy mix, are some better to consider than others? A few pappy-poodle mixes I've seen look darling but I don't want a dog that needs professional clipping. I do like bathing and brushing dogs, but not the doggy beauty parlor trips.

Thanks for your insight.
Papillons are wonderful dogs!

They are a big dog in a small body. They have a very high energy level and can hike for miles and miles. They are one of the easiest dogs to train. However, they need to be trained otherwise all that energy will become troublesome. They are very sweet if raised properly.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Papillons are both high energy and highly reactive. If you aren't careful, they will notice and bark at every leaf that falls and every bird that flies by. They miss nothing, so it is important to explain to them that they can notice but they are not to bark.

They are too smart for their own good and they don't mind taking over the head of household position and ordering the whole family around. They consider their job title to be "Little Princess". As dictators, they are benevolent. No growling or bullying. They will manipulate you to get what they want and make you think it was your idea.

The coat is easy care, but if you want long flowing ear fringes, you must take 30 seconds every day and run a comb through their hair to prevent knots.

They are no harder to house train than any other dog. People get into trouble because the messes are so small and easy to clean up that the owner won't make himself be diligent about supervising the dog. Just like every other breed, you have to pay close attention for a couple of weeks or you will not end up with a reliable dog.

They should be fed a minimum of twice a day and 3 times is better. Because of their low body mass, they can get low blood sugar if they go without eating for long stretches of time. If kibble is fed, it should be a top quality brand with small size kibbles.

They are companion dogs and will expect to be with you and doing whatever you are doing. They are for people who pay a lot of attention to their pets and not suitable for people who want a dog that sleeps in the corner all day except for a quick pat on the head when you get home from work.

Serious warning. Do not leave your credit card laying around or you might find that your Papillon has gone on-line and ordered a bunch of dog toys and a radio controlled car.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times
if you want to get an insight into the papillon personality, there are two books to read (you can read them at Barnes & Noble if you don't want to buy one or both), Memoirs of a Papillon and More Memoirs of and Papillon, both by Genevive.
BARNES & NOBLE | Memoirs of a Papillon: The Canine Guide to Living with Humans without Going Mad by Genevieve | Paperback

More Memoirs of a Papillon: Diary of a Mad Dog: Genevieve, Dennis Fried: 9780967933528: Amazon.com: Books

As everyone has said they ar great little dogs, very smart. A perfect choice especially if you plan to do something with your dog such as obedience, rally or agility.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
if you want to get an insight into the papillon personality, there are two books to read (you can read them at Barnes & Noble if you don't want to buy one or both), Memoirs of a Papillon and More Memoirs of and Papillon, both by Genevive.
BARNES & NOBLE | Memoirs of a Papillon: The Canine Guide to Living with Humans without Going Mad by Genevieve | Paperback

More Memoirs of a Papillon: Diary of a Mad Dog: Genevieve, Dennis Fried: 9780967933528: Amazon.com: Books

As everyone has said they ar great little dogs, very smart. A perfect choice especially if you plan to do something with your dog such as obedience, rally or agility.
Those books were great at learning about Lady! She has been a lovable trial ... Always testing my patient. Especially about potty training. They are the only breed that can poop in midair LOL. Health wise CERF eye exams and OFA knees. Lady had both last yr passed with colors. Smart...Lady was trained service dog long before I got her potty trained. Grooming is simple wash & go. I be more worried about the mix part esp if it's a poodle.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Thanks, all, great advice. I like to do due diligence in choosing a new pet..our last dog lived with us for 16 years and was a delight..of course, I did no research on him at all--just fell in love with him at the animal shelter. I lucked out, he was great. A whippet/rat terrier mix, with whippet prevailing. But I've always been attracted to the papillon...their looks and bright personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs