Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,011,261 times

Advertisements

Like the Diamond recall of last year, it's about salmonella.

http://www.naturapet.com/voluntary_r...%20Release.pdf

http://www.naturapet.com/recall

Of course the recall would include one of the foods I switched to from Taste of the Wild. Buying packaged pet foods is a minefield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:05 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,604,815 times
I had wondered how long it would take after Proctor & Gamble bought the company for them to be involved in a recall. Jazz and Dash and Phoenix ate Innova their whole lives and did fine had very healthy skin and beautiful glossy coats but Dazzle was not a fan of Innova so about the time the company got bought by P&G I switched foods.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,371,208 times
Dash, there was a big Natura recall way back around 2000-2001. We had just switched Jimmy over to the raw diet and had been feeding him Innova and/or California Natural. I was relieved, to say the least. The issue was with the drying units, which weren't getting all the moisture out of the food, and aflatoxins took hold. Dogs became very ill. A friend of mine had a GSD who suffered neurological damage.

It's something we all need to be concerned about if we feed kibble, but doing raw for two dogs again is more than I can handle. I have cut up as many chickens in my life as the average Perdue plant. I hate cutting up chickens. Karma is doing great with Blue Buffalo and the puppy will get the puppy formula of BB.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,029,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I had wondered how long it would take after Proctor & Gamble bought the company for them to be involved in a recall. Jazz and Dash and Phoenix ate Innova their whole lives and did fine had very healthy skin and beautiful glossy coats but Dazzle was not a fan of Innova so about the time the company got bought by P&G I switched foods.
I used to feed my Dachshund California Natural, switched to Wellness as soon as I found out P&G bought them.

BTW, I posted this in the general pet section this morning as the recall also involves cat food.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...se-recall.html

Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I used to feed my Dachshund California Natural, switched to Wellness as soon as I found out P&G bought them.

BTW, I posted this in the general pet section this morning as the recall also involves cat food.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...se-recall.html
Sorry, I missed that other thread since I don't go in there. Should have checked.

I know some people have had similar concerns about Wellness since they were bought out by a larger company five or so years ago. A lot of similar accusations about quality going down. I don't have any experience with them myself so I don't know.

My bag of California Natural is the type being recalled under that banner (Kangaroo and Red Lentils), but it is one week outside the recall range. The range ends 1/2/2014, but my bag is 1/9/2014. I called to confirm my bag is safe, but if the recall expands, I won't be happy with them at all. I'll be switching to Acana/Orijen. I feed raw poultry to my cats so it's not salmonella itself I worry about. It's the nature of dry food and how long it sits in their digestive tract that's the issue.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Sorry, I missed that other thread since I don't go in there. Should have checked.

I know some people have had similar concerns about Wellness since they were bought out by a larger company five or so years ago. A lot of similar accusations about quality going down. I don't have any experience with them myself so I don't know.
No biggie, the more recall threads the better
Unfortunately it's a crapshoot I think on food for your pet, I did quite a bit of research before I chose Wellness, and there's always going to be someone that has something bad to say about what ever I choose.

This was one of the sites I used Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 PM

Oh for sure. Even the most expensive, most absolute premium brands have tons of haters for various reasons. It is what it is. Wellness seems like a pretty good brand from what I've seen.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,290,014 times
You can imagine the joy that consumed me on Monday when I opened the email at work to find out about this. Fortunately none of ours was affected .

I do have an email into our former Natura rep who is still with them now that they are P&G, I'm curious as to why all of a sudden there are Salmonella recalls

Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I do have an email into our former Natura rep who is still with them now that they are P&G, I'm curious as to why all of a sudden there are Salmonella recalls
Seems to be happening allot lately

Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,619,007 times
I switched from TOTW too (tried others first) - sigh. Was giving my dog the grain free...first the kangaroo, which is on the recall list, and currently the salmon, which isn't. I'm going to switch again. This is maddening! I'm hoping she likes either Acana or Orijen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs